Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Trailer Alert!

I'm a big enough fan of the source material of Hellboy that I'm going to check this out, regardless of your nay-saying stef. Mike Mignola, the creator, has been heavily involved with this film (unlike Allan Moore in LoEG) and del Toro's talked quite abit about how much he likes the original work. I've seen the trailor too, and I don't see what in it leads you to automatically declare it F calibur. I don't expect it quite to rise to the level of X-2, but I definitely think that it has potential to beat MIB (which I thoroughly enjoyed) as best "little-known comic book becomes action movie" film.

Oh, and Stef, your Steffie-sense let you down on MIB

(though not the sequel. The original rocks.

They were OK.

(For those Die-Hard type of movies, i suppose

-s.

What on earth do the Men in Black and Die Hard franchises have to do with one another!?

BTW, I caught the trailer for the third Harry Potter film tonight. Wow, kids DO grow up pretty fast at that age, don't they.

I guess in my mind Die-Hard is the staple for a thousand movies with similar qualities.

-s.

I am now officially excited for Spider-man 2! :wink:

I'll say! This is the second big-budget summer event picture for Alfred Molina with him dealing with spiders and spiderwebs. And since that other film is a modern classic, can't wait to see what he will do with this role.

Okay movie lovers--what other film am I talking about? And no cheating with IMDB!!

Nick

I like how in the recent Doc Ock storyline in Spectacular Spider-man, Ramos is drawing Doc Ock more like he's going to appear in the film (with the big black trenchcoat and longer, dark hair), partially because I've never been a fan of the old Doc Ock designs.

Um, that doesn't answer the question -- what ARE those similar qualities?

A macho macho man thrown into a precipitous situation where thousands of well-trained gunmen shoot millions of bullets and not one can hit him because, oh he's so good. There's no threat to the audience because everyone knows he's not going to die because producers don't sink tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions into a film where the protagonist bites the big one. So he whirls, spins, jumps and kicks around using karate, jujitso and whatever the other flavor-of-the-day happens to be, and he jumps into the Jaguar, outruns the bad guys for a little while, but when they catch up to him he has to bleed for a little while before he finally kills the boss and gets the girl.

Yes, Peter, i realize there was no Jaguar in Die-Hard, but i think you get the point.

-s.

Stef, what are you smoking? That description doesn't fit EITHER Men in Black OR Die Hard -- ESPECIALLY not Men in Black. I am more bewildered than ever by the connection you seem to see between the two films, unless you are just flat-out thinking of the wrong movie.

Oh sorry, i was thought we were talking about Die-Hard and Mission Impossible, not Die-Hard and Men in Black. Ah, well, same thing. Just replace all the people shooting guns with dumb looking, unbelievable, CGI alien-monsters created to amuse 13 year-olds, and replace the Jaguar with a "Ford P.O.S." smile.gif

-s.

My point was that these films are forgettable, and i proved it by forgetting them myself.

Men in Black and Mission Impossible could each be put into a "File Under M" section for the films my brain would easily forget. Not that i didn't "have a good time" when i saw them, just that they don't stand the test of time because there've already been a hundred films made before and after them that are similar.

-s.

Looking at the words "Ford P.O.S." in quotation marks, and not being much of a car buff or knowing much about makes and models, I suddenly found myself wondering if that really were the real name of a car -- or if it were actually just a rude acronym for a crappy car (in which case it would be rather embarrassing that I used the term in the first sentence of my review as if it were the actual model name).

A quick Web search turned up a distressing number of MIB-specific links that were not at all encouraging... but it also cropped up on other sites in a way that suggests that it's the real name of the car.

Doea anyone have any insight into what "P.O.S." actually stands for -- and what Ford was thinking when it named a car this, if indeed they did?

Heheheh... You're joking, right?

-s.

No, I'm not. I really am that ignorant / naive. Upon closer examination, I guess it really is the rude acronym, but it must be pretty widespread if it can be used as matter-of-factly as some of the cases I found. (Is there a particular Ford make and model that tends to get called a POS, or is it just any crappy old Ford?)

BTW, I strongly disagree with you about the original Men in Black. It is a much better film than either Mission: Impossible. I gave it 3.5 stars, and the only reason it got a B+ rather than an A- was some of the ooky content might be too much for some people.

FWIW, i don't see you as ignorant/naive. Then again, you're talking to a guy who once was told he could fix his radiator by cracking an egg and dripping the contents into it. A few miles down the road and the car was smoking. When the hood was opened, there was burnt egg everywhere! smile.gif

Well, we disagree on the Men In Black films. No big deal, i just consider it a lot of ornaments and no tree, for a good Christmas analogy.

-s.

Uh, SDG, "P.O.S." stands for "piece of sh**." wink.gif Which would be all Fords.

And speaking of defending Stef's "Die Hard-type films", I happen to enjoy (not that I think they're profound or anything) the M:I films. Yes, even the second one. I think I called it "the best James Bond film I've seen in years."

Anders wrote:

Uh, SDG, "P.O.S." stands for "piece of sh**." Which would be all Fords.

Sure, NOW you tell me, after I already figured it out for myself. (The odd thing is that a reader would usually have long since picked up on something like this... perhaps my readers are all as ignorant / naive as I am, or perhaps this review was just never that popular [although I had a lot of fun writing it].)

And speaking of defending Stef's "Die Hard-type films", I happen to enjoy (not that I think they're profound or anything) the M:I films. Yes, even the second one. I think I called it "the best James Bond film I've seen in years."

I agree that the final act of M:I-2 was energetically staged and filmed, but the middle act I found somnambulently paced, with both hero and villain making frustratingly stupid mistakes. I found the film morally troubling, too, in a way that James Bond isn't, at least to the same degree. (Go easy on my review, one of the first long reviews I ever wrote.)

"Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow"

Folks have been raving about this one non-stop on AICN, and I've been pretty curious to see it myself. Looks like it could be a lot of cheesy fun, a la "The Rocketeer".

Yes, Sky Captian looks really interesting! I have to echo Harry Knowles when he says that this film looks exactly like they went into my brain and came up with that art deco, 30s pulp adventure, planes, robots, Max Fleischer cartoon in live action, that I always wanted to see made (and would have liked to have been able to make myself).