Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Trailer Alert!

Ladies and gentlemen... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Unfortunately, it's only a teaser, but hey... it's something.

Oh, and I just discovered that Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) is playing Arthur Dent. Whee!

Edited by opus

Caught the trailer for The Aviator the other day -- looks like Scorsese's trying to pull a Spielberg.

Rumour also has it that Scorsese's NEXT film will star Leonardo DiCaprio, too -- that would be three Scorsese films in a row that star that guy. The new Bobby DeNiro, maybe?

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that this trailer emphasizes the action in the movie, whereas all of the Japanese trailers I've seen are much more contemplative in tone (which, from the reviews I've read, are much more in-line with the movie itself).

You can also find the Japanese trailer for Ghost in the Shell 2 here, as well as a 6 minute preview (must register to watch the preview, but it's free).

Opus, I agree with your take on the Japanese trailer. And I like it a lot.

You can also find the Japanese trailer for Ghost in the Shell 2 here, as well as a 6 minute preview (must register to watch the preview, but it's free).

Opus, I agree with your take on the Japanese trailer. And I like it a lot.

That 6-minute preview is sweet. I love the music (and the visuals aren't too shabby).

A short little teaser for Wong Kar-Wai's 2046.

Wow, i am excited about Ghost in the Shell 2 and Code 46. I believe JRobert is currently working on a review for Code 46 during a vacation trip he's on. He's seen the film twice already!! I have *got* to figure out a way to be more like JRobert.

Two trailers i saw at the art-house theater last night looked like wonderful potentials:

Mean Creek, starring Rory Culkin, all growed up now and wow. That trailer was a movie in and of itself. Very tantalizing.

And then the Garden State trailer, with several snippets of Natalie Portman falling in love, looked gorgeous (of Mira Nair or Sofia Coppola proportions).

In mainstream theaters, Julianne Moore's new film keeps reminding me of Memento or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or something like this. I'm not sure if that one's a winner yet, but it looks like a potential mindjob of a film, and i'm a sucker for those when they're made well... I guess we'll have to wait and listen to the pros.

-s.

Edited by stef

I was disturbed by Mean Creek, it's that effective of a trailer. Almost a tweener version of Bully meets River's Edge. I usually see 90% of the films that come through our local art house, but I'm not too sure if I want to see a movie that is that much of a downer.

Almost a tweener version of Bully meets River's Edge.

This is a great description. In fact, i know that i thought Bully all the way, and i could've swore i heard Asher actually say, "This reminds me of River's Edge!"

-s.

Edited by stef

I saw Mean Creek last week. I'll start a thread about it soon. Your description is just about right.

Here's a trailer for Shumacher's (shudder!) adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Weber's (woo hoo!) The Phantom of the Opera. For me the only question is how Shumacher will screw this one up. I am a fan of the musical, and Emmy Rossum (Mystic River, The Day After Tomorrow) is actually trained in opera, so that bodes well.

The Life Aquatic!!! Edited by opus

That Phantom of the Opera trailer piqued my interest in the original Broadway CD, which I have had for over a dozen years but had not listened to in ages. I was struck by how chintzy and synthy the music sounded on the CD, in contrast to what seemed to like a richer, stronger, movie-soundtrack-worthy orchestration in the trailer. So I'm looking forward to this one, even if the musical itself has never impressed me all that much (phantom gets girl, phantom loses girl, big fat hairy deal...).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Taegukgi (The Brotherhood of War), a film about the Korean War from the perspective of 2 brothers who are conscripted into the South Korean army. This was a big hit in Asian markets, and now is going to have a limited release in North America. Here's a listing of cities where it will open in September....

Thanks for pointing this one out, BT - I've just finished reading a history of the Korean War, so I'd love to see this one (interestingly, there's no Hollywood depiction of this war,since MASH, is there? - no wonder this is called the forgotten war). From what I've read, the South Korean Army was horribly untrained and unprepared, in large part thanks to corruption among the officers; in addition, they were fighting for a despot who was feared and hardly loved. I'd be very interested to see this from an Asian perspective.

Yeah, thanks for pointing this one out - the trailer looks great. I found this review of the film. I'd forgotten it was directed by the same guy who did Shiri (which was the first big Hollywood-type blockbuster film made in South Korean). On a somewhat related note, Silmido looks quite interesting as well.

Edited by opus

This looks very, very strange.

"You can't deal with my infinite nature, can you?"

Have you seen the Huckabees commercials? Hilarious, and yet oh so "off"...

Edited by opus

I Heart Huckabees looks good...but...

THE LIFE AQUATIC!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I can't wait!

Sideways, Alexander Payne's new film.

I saw this trailer yesterday when I attended Garden State. I don't know why, but I love Paul Giamatti, and am glad to see that he gets more and more work. This preiview also reignited a long dormant crush I have on Virginia Madsen...

dry.gif O.K. this is bordering on TMI

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

excl.gif This preview is very long, very strange, and very bloody. And the sound isn't all that great. excl.gif

Scroll to the underlined "Watch this", for a preview of The Nightwatch, which has been called the Russian equivalent of Star Wars and The Matrix.... throw in a little Excalibur to boot.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah