Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

What would you like to see gone from the Top 100?

OK, which one film would you most like to see leave the list?

I'll take Hell House. I've yet to figure out anything of spiritual significance in it.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

At the risk of calling my objectivity into question, I'd probably nix Millions.

I'll give you an A for objectivity as long as I'm allowed to question your sanity.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Either Wild Strawberries or Cries and Whispers. I believe both have been on the list for three years now, and still no one has come up with any brief synopsis or commentary explaining the spiritual significance of either film, which suggests that either [a] those who appreciate the films are just assuming that everyone else will just think "Huh! Bergman! must be spiritually significant!" or else even those who appreciate the films find them too baffling to summarize.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

There are about half a dozen that I'd like to remove, but we are supposed to name only one, so... The Sweet Hereafter. This gets included but The Exorcist doesn't? Gimme a break!

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

Waking Life.

That's just how eye roll.

What would you like to see gone from the Top 100?

The 1-100 rankings.

If not that, than I'll second Waking Life or 13 Student Films About 2 Hours Too Long.

Edited by DanBuck

You'll all hate me.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Not that it's a bad film; it just doesn't seem very "spiritually significant" to me.

The 1-100 rankings.

I'll second that. Give me the 2004 alphabetical listing any day.

Oops, did I vote twice?

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

[tangent]Beth, I don't know if it'll convince you or not, but a couple years ago I wrote a short piece about Cries and Whispers that makes a case for it as an important piece of religious art.[/tangent]

[grumble]Well, if anyone can do it, you probably can, Darren. But if so, why is this case still ensconced on "Long Pauses," instead of helpfully summarized on the Top 100 list? :huh: [/grumble]

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

You'll all hate me.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Not that it's a bad film; it just doesn't seem very "spiritually significant" to me.

Actually, I agree. It's a wonderful film, and might be more at home on the "100 greatest movies of all time" list.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I may be forgetting crucial details, but I don't remember The Straight Story as being that spiritually significant, even while being a great movie.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

I like knowing what the numerical rating is - it's intersting to see things go up and down, and it's useful for prioritising which films to catch up on first.

For example, Darryl claimed he had never even heard of The Miracle Maker until it peaked at #3 this year, even though it had been on both the 2004 and the 2005 lists.

Over time these will stabilise, and the list will become more definitive.

Matt

Breaking the Waves

Yeah, either that or Dogville. I'm getting very tired of Von Trier, despite an earlier infatuation with his films. As time moves on I find them more and more troubling, and not in a good way. But I think Breaking the Waves, despite the similar themes, is the greater work.

Or I also echo the removal of 13 Conversations. I saw it when it first came on video. Unmemorable. Contrived in the kind of way that makes me think that the makers were hoping it would get included in a list like this.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Morally significant, maybe? (Atticus' defense of a wrongly accused man, and the man himself, in a system that would sooner kill him than admit that he's every bit as human as the white powers that be?)

Yes, I'd agree. And there's the back story with Boo Radley, too. But it's still not SPIRITUALLY significant.

Actually, I agree. It's a wonderful film, and might be more at home on the "100 greatest movies of all time" list.

Yeah, I'll second that.

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

Either Wild Strawberries or Cries and Whispers. I believe both have been on the list for three years now, and still no one has come up with any brief synopsis or commentary explaining the spiritual significance of either film, which suggests that either [a] those who appreciate the films are just assuming that everyone else will just think "Huh! Bergman! must be spiritually significant!" or else even those who appreciate the films find them too baffling to summarize.

Consider that 50% corrected

Matt

Sign in to follow this