Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Auralia's Colors

I've started a blog to start some conversations about storytelling, fairy tales, fantasy, and the power of myth, in anticipation of the arrival of Auralia's Colors in late '07. Edited by Overstreet

Auralia's-Type.jpg

Here's a little preview of what the title looks like on the cover.

The cover is beautiful. Can't wait to show you.

Oh... and Alan, it's up on Amazon now.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

That looks awesome, Jeffrey. How are the sequels going? I think you mentioned you're signed for two more, right?

There are four in the series. I'm halfway through the second book. The revisions on Book One are making things pretty intense, and they're due in a couple of weeks. There will be a book three and four. I have 150 - 200 page drafts of all four books.

It's in the A&F/Store!

>>> HERE <<<

I hope I placed the first order!

Wouldn't it be great to kick it up the Amazon Bestseller List by ordering our copies on the same day?

You know you're going to buy it eventually, why not buy it though the A&F store today?

Edited by TexasWill

Wow. That's incredible. That's one of the best covers I've seen in a while. Judging by the quality, those folks over at Waterbrook must be really excited about the material, like we are here! Out of curiosity, which colors are each of the strands?

I've been reading Screen Darkly over my trip in L.A. Really enjoying it, especially the thoughts on evil and our approach to it. But I suppose that's for TASD thread. But anyway, great stuff!

Thanks, Joel.

The second strand is "the Blue strand," and I haven't made up my mind about books three and four. It's not arbitrary. The color has to have some kind of subtle connection to that particular story.

Wow. That is an awesome cover. Beautiful.

I've started a blog to start some conversations about storytelling, fairy tales, fantasy, and the power of myth, in anticipation of the arrival of Auralia's Colors in late '07.

Jeffrey,

I just got done reading your blogspot on the novel. First, it sounds wonderful. Second, I'm glad to find another fellow Tolkienite--LotR likewise awakened the writer in me by the age of 12.

I'm second-guessing this is going to be an allegorical tale to the same degree as "Hinds Feet on High Places" (not of the same content, but in its "degree of allegoricalness"). And yet also much richer in symbolism and broader in scope. I personally love allegory, especially the Narnia series (although I have sadly met people--Christians included-- who say they detest allegories, and therefore can't stomach Narnia).

If I'm wrong and it's not an allegory, then please correct me. But if it is, can you discuss any of it?

Jeffrey--this is really exciting!

Also, an aside; I worked at the Jubilee conference in Pittsburgh with Hearts & Minds books this weekend. Byron had eight or nine copies of Through a Screen Darkly for sale, and by the time I left last night there were only two copies left. I'm glad I picked a copy up for myself! I made sure to tell everyone browsing near it to get one.

Amazon.com sent me the following notice this morning:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are pleased to report that the following item will ship

sooner than expected:

Jeffrey Overstreet "Auralia's Colors (The Auralia Strand Series)"

[Paperback]

While it is very cryptic, I received this message for Jeffrey's earlier book and Sara Zarr's book last year. Both of them shipped a week or two early. But I've never received this message more than a few weeks before ship date. :blink:

Jeffrey--this is really exciting!

Also, an aside; I worked at the Jubilee conference in Pittsburgh with Hearts & Minds books this weekend. Byron had eight or nine copies of Through a Screen Darkly for sale, and by the time I left last night there were only two copies left. I'm glad I picked a copy up for myself! I made sure to tell everyone browsing near it to get one.

Hey! I've met Byron Borger! Small world. Hearts & Minds does booktables for InterVarsity conferences in NY/NJ, and when I was a staff worker with IV, I crossed paths with Byron a lot of times. Whenever I have a book question, I call Hearts & Minds. Sometimes it seems like the staff there has read every book ever published! I'll call and say, "I need a book on a Christian perspective on Renaissance architecture," and the person on the other end of the phone will say, "Hm. Well, there are seventeen books on that subject, and I have six of them in stock. The most comprehensive is..." and off we go. Impressive place, that.

ah-RAY-lee-uh.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Oh. All this time I thought it was more or less "O-RAIL-ya."

Edited by SDG

Actually, Steven's is a better phonetic representation than mine.

I'm calling the publisher. The cover will be changed to o-RAIL-ya's Colors.

I had guessed a hybrid of your and Steven's pronunciation:

Aw-rail-ee-ya

--So, how many syllables does the name have? Three or four?

To make matters more complicated, my neice Amelia is living with us now. So I stumble over the two names a lot. To complicate it further, I have a younger neice who was named "Auralia" after they read an early draft of the book (and before the contracts were signed.) I was so surprised and alarmed that they would name their daughter after a character in a pileof unedited, unpublished paper on my desk. But we're all living happily ever after now. And little Auralia is a hoot.

This is SO COOL, Jeffrey. If my wife hasn't already ordered it, I will. I'm looking forward to it.