Narnia: Pre-release discussion of LWW

Peter T Chattaway

I remember a Democrat pundit saying they didn't win the recent election because their candidate had the personality of a "hall monitor." I have no trouble with Aslan having a charming, engaging, sexy personality/voice. But then I'm sure I would nto have the emotional/sensual response your sister has to a male voice!

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally seen all three of the films based on Ann Peacock's pre-Narnia screenplays.

Let's just say I hope the guys who wrote The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (which I have not yet seen) gave Peacock's first draft a fairly good re-write.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...
I have finally seen all three of the films based on Ann Peacock's pre-Narnia screenplays.

Let's just say I hope the guys who wrote The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (which I have not yet seen) gave Peacock's first draft a fairly good re-write.

And now I have seen The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.

Y'know, I am wondering why people want to see all these photos'n'things so badly. I think the trailers have revealed more than enough already. Shouldn't there be just a LITTLE surprise left?

Y'know, I am wondering why people want to see all these photos'n'things so badly.  I think the trailers have revealed more than enough already.  Shouldn't there be just a LITTLE surprise left?

Plus, with all those bloody flash popups, that was by far the most irritating site I've tried to read in a long time.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

I like it, Peter, that you are not concerned about the marketing. As a parent, I bought all the STAR WARS figures and ships for my sons and played by the hour with them. (I also bought a figurine of a Lion lying with a Lamb for myself to see, touch and contemplate - A kind of adult, tactile, meditative art object.)

If I had young children now, I would do the same with Narnia. I would buy the action figures, swords and all, the stone table, Aslan and play make-believe with them as we live in a world where our Savior will die for us to set us free - not only from Winter without Christmas, but our deceits and sins.

Denny

Edited by Denny Wayman

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

AICN has some reviews from a test screening or two

One is very positive, the other positive by not overly so. Both rave about effects and Swinton as the White Witch.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Another review from NarniaWeb.

UPDATE: Never mind... although the NarniaWeb review does contain details cut from the copy that's up at Ain't It Cool.

spoilers1.gif

The major complaint of the Narnia-experts in the panel was that during the coronation scene, the children are not crowned in the name of the Emperor beyond the Sea, but rather in the name of the four winds and their powers.
Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

That is so disappointing.

Denny

Cinema In Focus Website

Well, one of the reasons we have four gospels is because there were four winds, no...?

Irenaeus, Against Heresies (2nd century -- a couple hundred years before the New Testament canon was finalized):

There are four gospels and only four, neither more nor less: four like the points of the compass, four like the chief directions of the wind. The Church, spread all over the world, has in the gospels four pillars and four winds blowing wherever people live.

This sounds to me more like poetry than philosophy, but sometimes poetry is better! smile.gif

Irenaeus, Against Heresies (2nd century -- a couple hundred years before the New Testament canon was finalized):

There are four gospels and only four, neither more nor less: four like the points of the compass, four like the chief directions of the wind. The Church, spread all over the world, has in the gospels four pillars and four winds blowing wherever people live.

This sounds to me more like poetry than philosophy, but sometimes poetry is better!  smile.gif

It sure is a funny bit of logic smile.gif I'd hope that this arguement didn't hold much weight during the various canon-councils.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

This sounds to me more like poetry than philosophy, but sometimes poetry is better!  smile.gif

At the risk of veering off topic, it's somewhat interesting that the Irenaeus's symbolism gets somewhat modified over the years. While the symbolism that has evolved over the centuries retains the connections of Luke with the Ox and Matthew with the human, John and Mark trade attributes. Iranaeus ties John to lion and Mark to the eagle; whereas texts like the Book of Kells and numerous other pieces of art through the centuries link John to the eagle and Mark to the lion.

Ok, maybe it's not all that interesting and I'm just loopy.

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

Peter,

I need your help on finding this one. I followed your link and found this didactic section that you quote part of as being ascribed to Irenaeus in his writing AGAINST HERESIES. But when I go to the full text of AGAINST HERESIES I can't find that section.

I confess that I researched it because I've read Irenaeus and hadn't seen that portion before. He is usually arguing against the use of numerology in the various heresies.

If this is authentic, I would also want to use it when I teach early church canon formation as a corollary argument for limiting the many gospels that could have been included to only the four canonical ones.

Denny

Edited by Denny Wayman

Cinema In Focus Website

I've never read Irenaeus first-hand, but I've come across the four winds passage in a number of secondary texts. He makes the argument in Book III, Chapter XI, paragraph 8:

It is not possible that the Gospels can be either more or fewer in number than they are. For, since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds,142 while the Church is scattered throughout all the world, and the "pillar and ground"143 of the Church is the Gospel and the spirit of life; it is fitting that she should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side, and vivifying men afresh. . . .

142 Literally, "four catholic spirits;" Greek, tessara kaqolika pneumata: Latin, "quatuor principales spiritus."

143 1 Tim. iii. 15.

I've never read Irenaeus first-hand, but I've come across the four winds passage in a number of secondary texts.  He makes the argument in Book III, Chapter XI, paragraph 8:

It is not possible that the Gospels can be either more or fewer in number than they are. For, since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds,142 while the Church is scattered throughout all the world, and the "pillar and ground"143 of the Church is the Gospel and the spirit of life; it is fitting that she should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side, and vivifying men afresh. . . .

142 Literally, "four catholic spirits;" Greek, tessara kaqolika pneumata: Latin, "quatuor principales spiritus."

143 1 Tim. iii. 15.

That's all very well, but I'm virtually certain that the LWW producers were not thinking of Irenaeus when they

changed the coronation scene

. It's notable, however, that the posted review is for an unfinished version and that audience comments weren't favorable on this change. Maybe they'll "fix" it. Or not, in which case, reviewers can give them grief over it afterward. angry.gif

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Peter,

Thanks so much.

Denny

Cinema In Focus Website