Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Panella

Coffee

217 posts in this topic

Since I don't do coffee, I've pretty much been ingnoring this thread. Just curious if any of you have seen Black Gold and if you think it will affect your buying?

Haven't seen it yet, but have been meaning to (there was an advanced screening I missed a few weeks ago. Drat!) I basically know what they're talking about, and it affected my buying years ago.

Anywho, if you want great coffee at a good price, I'd suggest Grounds for Change. They roast they day they ship it to you as well. Or try to find local roasteries and see how they handle things. We get our espresso roast from a local roaster. It's amazing, and he roasts it the same day we get it.

And by the way, our coffee shop got up and running last month (which is why I've not been around these parts much). It's going very well. Our new website (which is constantly getting tweaked, and is in a transition phase at the moment) is here, and our goofy MySpace page is here.

And yes, cuppings are fun!

I haven't seen it but have been changing my food-buying and consumption habits quite a bit the past couple of years. I suppose coffee will eventually become part of that change, but for now, I just want a good roast for the money.

I need a little help with coffee presses. Sheesh, you buy a reliable coffee maker and it works WONDERS for four or five years. And then the caraffe breaks. My coffee maker seems to be obsolete by at least two generations (full price plus shipping for a lidless caraffe at various internet supply houses and nothing on eBay. Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't stock mine anymore). We are talking KRUPS, not Black and Decker! Sorry for the rant.

In the meantime, I've gone to a coffee press which has yet to make a great cuppa. Yesterday's brew yielded solids worthy of turkish coffee. The grounds were set at the low end of course. Any suggestions? Also, does one calculate 6 oz cups a la modern coffee makers too? Solids were more reasonable at the coarsest setting today. Flavor was, well....

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Rich, I abandoned the drip coffee makers after so many carafes lost the battle against gravity. Instead of the French press route, we want for an electric percolator. Unbreakable, and a darn fine pot of coffee.

Just caught this thread for the first time. We have an embarrassment of coffee houses in Louisville now, with two or three more just opening up in the last month - one of them being a place called "Blue Mountain Coffee House".

There is an elder at my church who started a place called Sunergos, which has been quite successful. They've got some stuff online - although shipping is a tad pricey - but I highly recommend the Kenya AA, Organically Grown Sumatra Mandheling, and the house brand.

I'm on an all-nighter trying to meet a deadline. It's 0556h. I think if I had coffee right now, I might just lose my mind.

No, no. Can't have coffee. Love it to bits but it sends me that little bit more doolally than I already am, which is a little too far over the doolally line for most people, myself included.

And no, I would never contemplate drinking decaf. *sniff* poor non-coffee drinking me.

I like Duncan Hills coffee. In the words of Dethklok, "prepare for ultimate flavor, you're gonna get some now, and scream for your cream." That stuff is brutal.

Just caught this thread for the first time. We have an embarrassment of coffee houses in Louisville now, with two or three more just opening up in the last month - one of them being a place called "Blue Mountain Coffee House".

I'm partial to "Green Mountain Coffee" myself.

regards,

-Lance

So no one has any advice on how to coax a consistant cup of coffee out of a coffeepress? Seems like any grind lower than extreme coarse leaves significant sludge on the bottom of every cup.

OK, so I should be getting a new caraffe this week AND my wife picked up a 12 cup Krups "Brewmaster" with programmable brain (my present 10 cupper is a generation earlier than the still current, but not 'hot' Brewmaster) for $25. Apparantly it was a remaindered store return. Now I have backup in the mail, but I know for sure that my digestive tract is being coated, daily, with the sludge from my coffeepress that still tastes better than universally hidieous grocery store coffee.

So no one has any advice on how to coax a consistant cup of coffee out of a coffeepress? Seems like any grind lower than extreme coarse leaves significant sludge on the bottom of every cup.

It's fairly normal to get some sediment on the bottom of a presspot-made cup. Also, it's worth not pouring the last 1/2" out of the presspot, since it'll be ground city.

If you're using a blade grinder, it's hard to get a very consistent coarse grind; burr works much better. Blade will almost always yield some fine stuff, which leaks through into your mouth.

If you're using a blade grinder, it's hard to get a very consistent coarse grind; burr works much better. Blade will almost always yield some fine stuff, which leaks through into your mouth.

Now THAT'S a good question. I just replaced my grinder last Fall with a Cuisinart resevoir grinder. I don't know if it is a burr, but since most of those small, unmeasured grinders are blade grinders.... Are most resevoir grinders burr grinders?

If you bought these at Costco, it'll be 1-2 years before you make it through each bag...

The bag was opened this morning. I'll post the "completion date." My bet is that it'll all be gone in less than 2 months. Maybe less than 1 month.

We finished the bag a week ago. So a little less than two months.

Yes. The green label (was "Starbuck's Meridian Blend for Kirkland") is good, so is the red label espresso (but not necessarily good when used as espresso). Right now I am trying to figure out if a newer Kirkland Sumatra French Roast is better than the green. I'm not sure.

I did go to Costco last time and picked up a Kirkland's bean in a silver bag. I don't think it's French roast; probably Columbian. But it's really good! I'm enjoying it even more than regular Kirklands/Starbucks roast.

Silver bag, huh? I don't know that one. I've decided that the green label "house blend is WAY better than the AA Rwandan French Roast by Kirkland.

I don't think I ever followed up to some of my original comments, but our coffee shop--the Beaver Falls Coffee & Tea Co.--opened its doors on Dec. 8. We've been doing incredibly well, especially for an area that's traditionally known to be apathetic about this sort of thing. Check out our website here. (Note: yes, some of the site needs work--it's getting there!)

I don't think I ever followed up to some of my original comments, but our coffee shop--the Beaver Falls Coffee & Tea Co.--opened its doors on Dec. 8. We've been doing incredibly well, especially for an area that's traditionally known to be apathetic about this sort of thing. Check out our website here. (Note: yes, some of the site needs work--it's getting there!)

That's great news, Jason! You must be stocking Sweet 'N Low. :)

That's great news, Jason! You must be stocking Sweet 'N Low. :)

We are! And Splenda, which does better. But raw sugar is the most popular.

And thanks, Alan!

Getting back to this, Rich:

I second Jason "Cool-coffeeshop-owner" Panella with regards to your grinder. A whirly blade grinder isn't the end of the world, but it will scorch the beans if you don't "pulse" it, and (more importantly) it will always give you a good deal of dust for ever batch of coarse-ground beans. Which means that pressed coffee will generally be muddy. The usual solution is a burr grinder. An entry level Krups will run you about $50.

That said, while I prefer the press, good beans make good coffee even in my Mr. Coffee machine.

Silver bag, huh? I don't know that one. I've decided that the green label "house blend is WAY better than the AA Rwandan French Roast by Kirkland.

Uh-oh. Sarah did pick up "French Roast" in a red bag during her Costco run last week. I'll be opening it this weekend. Did I do a bad bad thing in advocating for French Roast if it was available (it hadn't been earlier, but was this time)?

Also, just gave up on my Stay-or-Go Hamilton Beach coffeemaker, which did well for a second year in a row in the Consumer Reports survey. Yet my on again, off again problems with spillage recently picked up dramatically. After trying a few fixes, the problems continued.

It was fun while it lasted.

Like a dope, I consulted Consumer Reports again for recommendations. You'd think I'd learn, eh?

Anyway, as often happens with CR, when I visited Bed Bath & Beyond, the model numbers of the available machines were slightly different than the model numbers rated by the magazine. I went with a $50 Mr. Coffee ($40 after the 20%-off coupon), which is awfully close to the CR "Best Buy" in appearance and description.

But I also recently decided that I don't need to make daily cups of coffee in a 12-cup caraffe any longer. Instead, I finally picked up a French Press ($20). If there's some trick to making a decent cup of French Press coffee beyond the four-step illustration on the side of the box, do tell.

Oh, a coworker of mine informs me that a recent study concludes that French Press coffee is much worse for your cholesterol levels, because oil from the beans penetrates the coffee, whereas it would be filtered out with an electric coffee maker.

Just what I wanted to hear. :(

I second Jason "Cool-coffeeshop-owner" Panella with regards to your grinder. A whirly blade grinder isn't the end of the world, but it will scorch the beans if you don't "pulse" it, and (more importantly) it will always give you a good deal of dust for ever batch of coarse-ground beans. Which means that pressed coffee will generally be muddy. The usual solution is a burr grinder. An entry level Krups will run you about $50.

I've owned a succession of burr grinders and some can be found a bit cheaper than the price you suggest. My present resevoir grinder is a Cuisinart that I picked up for $40 at Bed Bath and Beyond. Poorly rated by Cooks Illustrated (uncontrollable static on fine grounds, a problem I have found to be almost universal in such grinders), it is pretty easy to work on. It shorted out on me today. Now I'm not good with machines and troubleshooting of same, but I found that it came apart rather easily (ie. not hard to put back together, a big deal for me). Turns out that it was densly packed with coffee dust and such. Clogged up something horrible. Makes me wonder if I had previously thrown out grinders prematurely! Once cleaned, this baby works like a charm again.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Looks like Ray Oldenburg and Carl Schmitt have slightly different opinions on the meaning of Gem

If caffeine stimulates brain functions in the short term, it stands to reason that social types will find ways to socialize at, or near fountains of caffeine bearing liquids. All you need is the cost of a cuppa.

Free coffee! This is movie- AND coffee-related, but I'm posting it only in this thread.

FEAST OF LOVE WITH A FEAST OF COFFEE

Free Coffee Available in North America To All Patron

Today's the day for your free "Feast of Love" cup o' joe. Sadly, I'm not close enough to any of the 4 locations participating in the D.C. area, and will have to "settle" for our in-office Kirkland brand (roasted by Starbucks).

My vote for best coffee roasters in the United States. And they do Direct Trade coffee, which is amazing.

And they put the roast dates on the front of the (beautifully plain) bags. And their products just taste exceptional.