Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Panella

Coffee

217 posts in this topic

I find Keurig to be better than nothing, but still fairly mediocre (and overpriced). But I'm pretty picky about my coffee.

I find Keurig to be better than nothing, but still fairly mediocre (and overpriced). But I'm pretty picky about my coffee.

I haven't investigated Keurig or other similar single-cup machines as much as I should have, but my thoughts are pretty close to Ryan's. They're are much more inexpensive (and honestly, far better) ways to do single cups of coffee, like using a simple pour-over method (which I often use at home), or even a Chemex or Aeropress. Sure, there's no button-pushing or the whiz-bang of modern hype, but you can at have good coffee. Who knows how long the ground coffee has been sitting in those K-cups? Sure, there is a way for you to grind your own coffee and put it into spare pods, but...why not take two more minutes and use a manual method?

But my in-laws are quite taken with the simplicity of the Keurig system, and because I reacted positively to my first two cups -- last night I had Folgers (!!) decaf, this morning Starbucks Breakfast Blend -- I can see the wheels turning in my mother-in-law's head, and in my wife's head. I sense that I very well could end up with a Keurig later this year

Guess what my in-laws gave me for Christmas?

Edited by Christian

Where has this been all my life?

I'm looking for Whirley-Pop-related videos because the meshing gears that turn the turner (whatever the thing is called that agitates the beans while they roast) are no longer meshing. I found a video on how to repair broken pieces of those gears, but my problem is alignment. Suddenly the two gears are way off. I don't know how that happened, and can't figure out how to bend or force anything to get the gears back to meshing.

And that engineer's thermometer -- never seen such a thing. I'd heard about using a candy thermometer to measure the temperature in the popper, but that seemed like too much trouble. 

Edited by Christian

Free coffee all month at Chick Fil A.

And free coffee on Mondays during breakfast hours at McDonalds. That promotion has been ongoing for several weeks. I took advantage of it this morning before learning about the Chick Fil A promotion. I'm OK with McD's coffee, but I recall being surprised by the quality of Chick Fil A coffee in the past. I think the chain uses Seattles Best coffee.

If I can rant a little...

A few years ago my wife and I seriously considered getting a Keurig device, or a Tassimo (when Tassimos posed a threat).  We tried them out, were dissatisfied with the results, thought our simple Black & Decker single-serve provided a superior product at about $20, about 1/5 the price of one of these units.  It also afforded the luxury of the most flexibility of product.  On top of all this, it also saved on counter space.

So yesterday I go grocery shopping, and I noticed that my grocery store has shrunk the bag coffee department, dropping some of my favorite brands, and greatly expanding the K-cup selection.  You know, those overpriced, overvalued, ripoff that is affecting all folks who have the inate inability of knowing how to use a measuring cup.

I feel like Kevin McCarthy at the end of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."  STOP SUPPORTING K-CUPS.  You are RUINING MY LIFE.

That is all.

Nick, although I've come to very much like my Keurig, I sympathize. I remember reading about a year ago -- didn't post it here, apparently -- that Millstone was getting out of the bagged-coffee business (whole bean and ground) and going the K-cup route. It was where all the trendlines were pointing, or something.

At the time, I either didn't have my Keurig or was thinking strictly in terms of price per cup (not to mention the environmental impact of all that K-cup plastic), and I was upset. I hadn't bought Millstone beans in years, but if a major coffee company like Millstone was going exclusively to K-cups, I figured other companies couldn't be far behind.

I'm now home roasting much less frequently than I was a year ago, and when I do, I order direct from Green Beans. But the move away from whole-bean coffee at local grocery stores bothers me. I know there are others, like Nick, who must be baffled by what's happening in the industry.

I'm not baffled. I'm just disappointed. The best cup of coffee that Keurig can make is still a mediocre cup of coffee.

Edited by Ryan H.

Buy this, put it on subscribe and save for 5% off, and thank me later.

http://www.amazon.com/Kicking-Horse-Coffee-Espresso-2-2-Pound/dp/B0027Z7KN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1424285239&sr=1-1&keywords=cliffhanger+espresso

Never worry about having to get a k cup again. 

Seriously considering it... but that's one hefty price tag, ain't it?

Seriously considering it... but that's one hefty price tag, ain't it?

It's over two pounds, though, so that's not bad at all, especially if you have Prime shipping.

I saw some Kicking Horse in Wegman's when I was visiting my in-laws. Wasn't sure how good it was. I'll have to pick some up next time I'm in NY. 

At $0.77/oz, its cheaper than Starbucks, but 2X more expensive than Folgers (but you can go out and grind up mulch from your yard for free and have a better coffee experience than folgers, so not sure you'd be reading a coffee thread if you were drinking red can.)

At $0.77/oz, its cheaper than Starbucks, but 2X more expensive than Folgers (but you can go out and grind up mulch from your yard for free and have a better coffee experience than folgers, so not sure you'd be reading a coffee thread if you were drinking red can.)

For cheap-but-good brews, it's bagged 8-o-Clock coffee at the low end, bagged Melitta and Geneva and New England... usually with a coupon in tow.  Dunkin and Starbucks are also good.  But to have these pretty much kicked out of the store for K-cups is a tragedy.

To do the Amazon-subscription thing is almost like getting a coupon.  But I need to time my intake.  I'd hate to do the subscription only to find it coming too soon or too late.

With the subscription service, you should have a choice of when you receive shipments.  We go through a bag a month, and bought an extra bag to have on hand in case we run out in between.  But we didn't start cold--a friend gave us 1/2 a bag of it to try because we complained about the quality of java in Northwest Arkansas.  She'd ran a coffee shop and said, try this and generously gave us a bag.  Now we are hooked.

I'm a little surprised k-cups are eliminating bagged coffee shelving space.  Typically those are different shoppers and are not substitutional items.  Which retailer is it?  They are without a doubt trying to increase $/serving, which the k-cup does, but the premium bagged coffee is also a revenue improving item vs. Maxwell House and Folgers.  But I digress.

Which retailer is it? 

Shoprite, in the northeast.  I'd go to a competitor, but I'm hooked on their shop-at-home service.

New doc, Caffeinated, is available on VOD. Primarily about specialty coffee, not Folgers. I think a bit more delving into the economics issues would have been good.  My review