Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ice Cream

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hard to believe we don't have a thread for this most perfect food.

What's your flavor of favor?

Vanilla

? or do you think it's stupid for Baskin-Robbins to even sell Vanilla when it has so many more interesting flavors?

Cherry Garcia

?

Cookie Dough

?

Ben and Jerry make lots of fun flavors; I lean toward Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey. But I'm also fond of store brand vanilla with orange sherbert swirled in.

Tonight I had a new one from B&J: Black and Tan -- cream stout ice cream with chocolate ice cream. Better than it sounds.

Posted · Report post

My favorite is mint chocolate chip. Not too fussy about who makes it.

Used to be a place across the street from church that had killer mango-jalapeno ice cream. Sad to say, they went out of business. Piece on NPR the other day about boutique ice cream in L.A. that mentioned this flavor.

One March, Haagen-Dazs put out a Bailey's Irish Cream flavor that was to die for. I've also had the Guinness ice cream.

The Stinking Rose in L.A. has garlic ice cream. Try it sometime.

Posted · Report post

Best Vanilla: Breyers natural vanilla bean

Best Chocolate: Godiva

Best low-fat: Braums cappucino chunky chocolate

Posted · Report post

Bought some Breyer's All-Natural Cherry Vanilla last night (black cherries in vanilla ice cream).

It was so wonderful that even lactose-intolerant Sara had a scoop. ::w00t::

Posted · Report post

My favorite at Baskin Robbins is one that is there every summer: Baseball nut.

Posted · Report post

Earlier today I was joking with my wife about opening a shop called Killer Ice Cream, and naming flavors after Jack the Ripper and his ilk. It sounded outrageous until I read this.

Posted · Report post

Anything Breyers, but definitely their chocolate, and two scoops from 31 Flavors -- peanut butter chocolate and... I forget the other one, maybe it is Mississippi Mudd? Is that a form of chocolate?

Posted · Report post

As a chocolate lover I disavow any flavor of ice cream that claims to be chocolate. Chocolate is something that can be added to ice cream in chunks or poured over it, but as a flavor, it ceases to be chocolate.

Posted · Report post

While most Cincinnatians (and Oprah) swear by Graeter's, I prefer Aglamesis Bros. If you are ever in Cincinnati, or if you have $90 to drop on a UPS shipment of ice cream, you cannot really go wrong with either one. The Black Raspberry Chip from Graeter's is amazing, as is their seasonably available peach, and the Double Dutch Chocolate (Darryl's comment notwithstanding) from Aglamesis is sublime, especially with blended raspberry whipped cream and crushed pecans.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While most Cincinnatians (and Oprah) swear by Graeter's, I prefer Aglamesis Bros. If you are ever in Cincinnati, or if you have $90 to drop on a UPS shipment of ice cream, you cannot really go wrong with either one. The Black Raspberry Chip from Graeter's is amazing, as is their seasonably available peach, and the Double Dutch Chocolate (Darryl's comment notwithstanding) from Aglamesis is sublime, especially with blended raspberry whipped cream and crushed pecans.

Graeter's (we have 'em up in Columbus, too) is consistently superb in a non-adventurous way. That's not a criticism. When I want a deliciously creamy scoop of ice cream with big chocolate chunks in it, and I do pretty much six days per week, then Graeter's is the perfect solution. Occasionally I like to branch out in more esoteric directions, and then local favorite Jeni's Ice Cream is the place to be for flavors like Kona Stout and Sweet Corn and Black Raspberries.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Posted · Report post

Ohh--just tried some Jeni's recently (apparently you can get it at local Whole Foods), and it was excellent. There was a Meyer Lemon variety that was wonderful.

breyers%2Bmint%2Bchocolate%2Bchip%2Bice%2Bcream.jpg Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Is it just my imagination, or is chocolate chip going the way of the dinosaur? I realize it's not hard to find, but it used to be common. Now, I always see chocolate chunk, and cookies and cream, which aren't exactly the same thing. Maybe chips are just too tiny for a country accustomed to LARGE everything when it comes to food.

Is it just my imagination, or is chocolate chip going the way of the dinosaur? I realize it's not hard to find, but it used to be common. Now, I always see chocolate chunk, and cookies and cream, which aren't exactly the same thing. Maybe chips are just too tiny for a country accustomed to LARGE everything when it comes to food.

Graeter's plays both sides of this dilemma, calling various flavors <Something> Chip, when in reality the chips are the size of Buick Regals. I'm not complaining.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Posted · Report post

As a chocolate lover I disavow any flavor of ice cream that claims to be chocolate. Chocolate is something that can be added to ice cream in chunks or poured over it, but as a flavor, it ceases to be chocolate.

ice cream snob

Posted · Report post

Don't miss checking out B&J's newest flavor: SchweddyBalls

So THIS is where I should have posted that. I posted it here yesterday...

Loved the sketch. Would have tried the flavor, but malted milk balls are a no-no with me. I can't stand them regardless of what surrounds them.

I'll bet that many roll their eyes at Haagen-Dazs. However, their "5" line is excellent. The idea is five ingredients only. Coffee ice cream is my favorite and H-D makes great coffee ice cream. The 5 version is every bit as good without all the extra and now apparrantly needless extra ingredients. Of the 5 line though, ginger is right up there with the coffee. Quite different and refreshing.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Posted · Report post

I found the original SNL sketch to be less funny than discomfiting, and the idea of voluntarily eating a flavor of ice cream named after it does not appeal to me.

Posted · Report post

I found the original SNL sketch to be less funny than discomfiting, and the idea of voluntarily eating a flavor of ice cream named after it does not appeal to me.

FWIW, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's when they rebranded Chubby Hubby as Hubby Hubby.

Posted · Report post

FWIW, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's when they rebranded Chubby Hubby as Hubby Hubby.

SDG, if that happened (and I wouldn't put it past them), the original flavor title seems to have returned.

BTW, have you read the description of the new flavor? I'm no fan of rum-flavored anything, so it sounds revolting, no matter WHAT it's called. That's all from me.

Posted · Report post

Gee, now I'll have to go buy some in support

Posted · Report post

Gee, now I'll have to go buy some in support

That's the way it goes.

Posted · Report post

Some Christian women are boycotting Ben and Jerry's over this.

Boycotting.

That may not seem strange to some people.

But it seems strange to my friend Lindsay Marshall, who says:

I really, really hate this boycott. There are reasons to boycott ice cream companies. The same women passionately protecting their kids from a silly reference have no objection to the fact that their kids will be eating ice cream made with chocolate and sugar produced by child slave labor instead.

Ben & Jerry's has committed to going fully fair trade within the next few years. But for these petitioners, apparently, enslaving children isn't nearly as bad as a pottymouth joke.