Trading In CDs

Sarah and I moved our CD rack

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

1,200?!? Wow. We probably have 300, tops, and I thought our collection was out of hand.

Actually, I could check that number. For my birthday last year, Sarah put together a list of our media collections -- CDs, DVDs, and my old laserdiscs. Books, too. Lots and lots of books. We figured we buy so few of each media item these days that keeping up with additions wouldn't be much of a problem. Also, it gives us a written record in case, as happened in 2003, a tree falls into our house, and we have to replace any number of items.

And, of course, having a list made the reshelving and alphabetizing of our CD collection much easier.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I have a music collection that is completely out of hand. I don't know how many LPs/tapes/CDs I have, but it is in the multiple thousands. One room, the hallowed music shrine, is pretty much three and a half walls of floor to ceiling music. And now the music has spread out to encompass guest room closets, about half of the bookshelves in the basement, various nooks and crannies, and, most bizarrely, a drawer in my dresser where I keep my underwear. I figure that I can walk around in the buff if need be. One needs to set priorities.

After months of long talks and great encouragement, my wife finally persuaded me to part with some of my music this past weekend. "Just get rid of the CDs you never listen to," she said. Now, in my mind, "never" is a fairly hard-and-fast concept, and it encompasses my entire life. Granted, I haven't listened to the John Denver albums since the Carter administration, but that doesn't mean that a John Denver revival couldn't break out at any time. And when it happens, I want to be prepared.

So this was tough. I finally pulled out about 200 CDs, boxed them up, and made the rounds at various used CD places in town Saturday afternoon. I sold four of them back. Four. And what I discovered is that nobody else wants to listen to the CDs I don't like, either. So, what could I do but lug 196 or so CDs back to the house? My wife was disappointed. Not me. I tried. And the kids are growing up and leaving home, so soon two whole bedrooms will be freed up.

Andy, not to help your wife get rid of your John "I Namecheck a State in Every Song" Denver, but there's always Bay comma e.

I'm somewhere in the low multiple hundreds.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Four? Out of TWO HUNDRED?

Hey, man: I feel your pain. But that made me laugh.

Want a copy of Leo Kottke "Standing in my Shoes" to add to your multiple thousands of discs?

Let me guess: You already have a copy.

No wonder you can recall Thomas Goodlunas et alia.

I would like to get some of the instrumental recordings Thomas has made in more recent years, but I was too cheap to do it when he still had a Web site, and now they're just impossible to find.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

The advent of the digital media age has spared me some major issues. I've been an emusic subscriber for about five years now, which has spared me some major storage issues. 300 digital albums is alot easier to store than 300 jewel cases. I've also been ok at getting rid of stuff that I don't listen to anymore. The problem with that is, inevitably, I want to listen to again. OK, so once there was a time when I though Hole's Live Through This was the bees-knees. Then I was too cool for that and wanted some emo flavor-of-the-week band. What's a kid to do? Get rid of Hole! Then when I tired of emo-of-the-week, it was gone to make room for DJ Shadow or something. But now is where the problems happen. I've been feeling nostalgic of late and I want to go back and listen to Hole. If only I didn't start the viscious cycle I could be listening to "Doll Parts" as we speak. Then I could listen to Reel Big Fish, and then wash it down with some Everclear. I'm not saying these are any good, but dangit, I demand my right to listen to them again! Thus, I resolve I shall never sell back a cd again. Unless it stinks, really stinks. But therein lays the problem. What if five, ten years from now I want to listen to that same stinky cd. What to do, what to do? The only answer: I want to have a major storage issue. I want to drive my wife nuts next time we have to move. It will be glorious.

Then lets move on to my book collection. It will be huge I say, huge! Theology books are massive. I think I might just have to have my own little house next to the house for my (not) guilty pleasures.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

The new best way to trade in your unwanted used CDs is LaLa:

http://www.lala.com

It's awesome - I've traded 33 CDs, and it's easy + cheap. You sign up for free, and they send you a packet of shipping envelopes (pre-paid postage) and plastic CD cases. You list the CDs that you want to get rid of (your "have" list), and when somebody wants one of your discs you pop it into the plastic CD case, and stick the artwork plus disc into a shipping envelope. It doesn't cost you anything, and you get credit for having sent out one disc.

You can also build a "want" list, and after you've racked up some credit for sending out discs, people will start sending *you* discs. It costs somewhere around $1.50 to receive a disc (much better than the ratio when trading in discs at the local store, in my experience). I've gotten rid of some stuff I never listen to (for exmaple, a copy of John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Inner Mounting Flame" that was a gift; ugh, such awful fusion noise!) and gotten some real gems (Sleeping at Last "Ghosts", Sara Groves "Add to the Beauty", lots more).

If you're going to sign up, it would be great if you could drop me a private message so I can "invite" you and get credit for it (and receive a free T-shirt).

peace,

Bill

I realized the CDs were out of print -- one was already out of print when I bought it, for $3.99, several years ago -- but I don't feel cheated. I like to think that a CD's value is in how often you listen to it, and on that score, these two discs weren't contenders.

The Jazzmatazz site lists several out-of-print 32 Jazz CDs for between $7 and $8 -- about what I expected.

• 3 weeks later...

No wonder you can recall Thomas Goodlunas et alia.

I would like to get some of the instrumental recordings Thomas has made in more recent years, but I was too cheap to do it when he still had a Web site, and now they're just impossible to find.

Well, I finally scored two of these, and ... they're not very good. Sorry, Thomas.

Granted, I haven't listened to the John Denver albums since the Carter administration, but that doesn't mean that a John Denver revival couldn't break out at any time. And when it happens, I want to be prepared.

It's funny how we think the same way. This is probably impossible for you, but I try to make it a point of listening to every CD I own yearly. I have around 700, so it's still do-able. I weed out ones that I realize I don't like, rediscover ones I forgot about, and love ones that I initially shelved.

Also, the FYE chain gives fairly good store credit/cash for trade-ins. At least better than some of the other used places out there.

I dumped a bunch of my country and christian CDs to the local used bookstore. Made about 25 bucks for them.

Subtlety is underrated

This is probably impossible for you, but I try to make it a point of listening to every CD I own yearly.

I remember a few years ago reading how Paul Allen had bought a ton of CD-carousel players and installed them in his basement in order to put his entire collection (bigger than Andy's, it's safe to say) on rotation. Of course, when you're Paul Allen you can afford to do things like that.

Now, thanks to the digital revolution, Paul could probably replace all those CD players with a few terabytes' worth of hard drives. Wonder what he did with all the CD players.