Fox Launches New "Fox Faith" Label

goneganesh

And they have bad taste too, at least in books. They sent me a book, some Christian romance novel or something. I don't know what they wanted me to do with it but apparently lots of "Christian women" (whatever demographic that is these days) like the author. I wish they'd take me off their mailing list -- I mean, if I almost gag when I walk into a Zondervan bookstore, I nearly blow chunks when I see "Fox Faith."

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

The chase for "passion dollars" goes on....

We did it to ourselves.

We created the sacred Christian cash cow.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Ok, I actually took the time to look at the movie listings for this FoxFaith. I am nervous to admit that I think I may actually look into see The Visitationstarring Edward Furlong. I like him as an actor and I would enjoy seeing his interpretion of this character.

What I want to know is, where is East of Eden?

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly, do The Grapes Of Wrath, My Friend Flicka, Oklahoma, South Pacific, Strawberry Shortcake, and Garfield The Movie have to do with the Christian faith? Or is this just yet another example of Christianity and values simply equated with whatever happens to be "family-safe" entertainment.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

FoxFaith has sent me - as a pastor - a whole packet of posters, discussion guides, and a DVD (I haven't watched it) about their upcoming films, along with a letter.

Opus, I think it's obvious what Strawberry Shortcake: The Sweet Dreams Movie has to do with faith. Um... yeah, wait a minute.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly, do The Grapes Of Wrath, My Friend Flicka, Oklahoma, South Pacific, Strawberry Shortcake, and Garfield The Movie have to do with the Christian faith? Or is this just yet another example of Christianity and values simply equated with whatever happens to be "family-safe" entertainment.

Opus, I concur. I would much rather they called it "FOX FAMILY FILMS" or some such.

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

I saw a promo for "Fox Faith" over the weekend on TV and it was all I could do not to toss my television through the front window.

Oh, here are some reviews of The Visitation, Thom(asher). (May I call you Thomasher? It just sounds good.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

FWIW, Tim Willson has mentioned the creation of this label before, in this thread and in this thread, so I was a little surprised to see a whole bunch of movie news sites commenting on this today, mostly because of today's Los Angeles Times story on the subject. I had just assumed it was common knowledge already. (Thanks for keeping us so well informed, Tim!)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

FWIW, Tim Willson has mentioned the creation of this label before, in this thread and in this thread, so I was a little surprised to see a whole bunch of movie news sites commenting on this today, mostly because of today's Los Angeles Times story on the subject. I had just assumed it was common knowledge already. (Thanks for keeping us so well informed, Tim!)

Hey, no prob. The world of Christian products may be the one area where I can contribute some news to A&F... mostly I'm here to learn. <_<

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

FWIW, my two bits.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

My two-and-a-half.

Yes, you can stop worrying. They did not forget. Cheaper by the Dozen... the Steve Martin remake... is part of the FoxFaith library.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Jeff, on your blog you wrote:

So it was with relief and a hearty "hear hear!!" that I read Jason Morehead's response to the very same endevor at his blog, Opus. Jason writes:

Christianity is not "family safe", nor should "Christian" art be passed off only as such. Of course, "Christian" art needs to focus on whatever is good and true and lovely. But at the same time, it also needs to take an honest accounting of human brokenness, evil, injustice, and all of the other nasty things that permeate this life. But somehow I doubt that such art will be coming from the gates of FoxFaith, though I would love to be proven wrong.

I, too, hope FoxFaith has much more exciting recommendations on its calendar.

The thing is... FoxFaith has been formulated within these parameters: films will include overt Christian content or be derived from the work of a Christian author. Yes, some of Fox's "family-friendly" titles will be offered, but the films carrying the "FoxFaith" brand will be built on the foundations laid by Christian novelists like Frank Peretti, Janette Oke, Karen Kingsbury, Jerry B. Jenkins, Ted Dekker, et al.

Needless to say, there are some Christian authors writing fine books. But I knew I had found a kindred spirit in the late Jim Elliot when he told his younger sister to immerse herself in classic literature, but to "stay away from Christian fiction, which is at a low ebb..." (That was in the 1940's.) I think many conservative opinion leaders would be shocked to know that this icon of evangelicalism invested heavily in classic fiction and poetry... but it shows in the writing he left behind.

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Oklahoma isn't appropriate for six-year-olds.

I agree. Rented the film recently and was shocked at the dark overtones of sex and violence. Sure didn't remember that from seeing it on stage in childhood. Can't recollect whether I saw the film as a kid, though.

South Pacific, on the other hand, at least has a thing or two to say against racial discrimination. And in The Grapes of Wrath, John Carradine plays a preacher who loses his religion! Sounds pretty edgy for Foxes with Faith ... er ... FoxFaith.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Ha! Sleep deprived and not that sharp today, so I can't really take credit, can I?

Love that Jim Elliot quote, Tim!

Mark Moring interviews one of FoxFaith's VPs ... and it's kind of funny to see how the VP resists answering some of the questions. Chatty, he isn't.

Well, lo and behold -- a Christian movie actually opens in the Vancouver area on the same day that it opens in the States.

That's right, Love's Abiding Joy is opening here today ... at the Guildford theatre in Surrey. How far away is that? I live in the heart of downtown Vancouver, within 25-30 minutes' walk of all the major theatres (and a few of the minor ones, too), and to get to the theatre showing this film, I would have to follow this path. Still, could be worse; it could be showing at the Strawberry Hill theatre instead.

I have no interest in this particular film, but this does raise my hopes that I might be able to see One Night with the King on the big screen. The local Fox rep tells me that FoxFaith currently has no Canadian representative, so if I want to get on a press list somewhere, it will have to be through the States.

• 2 months later...

And now The Weinstein Company hops on board the "contemporary Christian movie" bandwagon ...

• 4 weeks later...

Today's mail at church included the book and lots of promo stuff for Thr3e which opens this week. What I don't get is if Fox Faith expects pastors to just give them free advertizing -- and of films sight unseen?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Well, Christians ARE cattle who follow their "bell cows", after all (or at least, so says one of our publicists) ...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

BTW, has anyone here heard anything about Thr3e? Apparently it's opening THIS FRIDAY, and it's getting a wide-enough release that it is actually scheduled to open in two theatres not too far outside of Vancouver (three, if we count Abbotsford, which is over an hour's drive away). It's rare that "Christian movies" ever open in Canada, much less simultaneously with their American release dates, so...

The film is based on a book by Ted Dekker, who was covered in an HJ article by Mike Furches, which our very own Darrel linked to in the Literature forum several months ago...

Full disclosure: I have a screener here at home, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet; life's been too busy, what with the holiday and all. But it wasn't until today, when an anonymous comment about this film was posted at my blog, that I found out (or fully realized) that it was opening so soon. So now I'm wondering just how high a "priority" this should be ...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Looking though links for Thr3e at IMDB, I see that Dekker also has another film in production, House -- also being distributed by Fox and so will be likely be pushed through Fox Faith.

To be honest, this is the most interesting film I've seen promoted by Fox Faith. I haven't read any Dekker, but this is one of the few FF films that doesn't look like pure saccarine.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin