Sign in to follow this  

Jericho

Hm. I kind of liked it. It was the beginning, so it was sketchy, but I almost cried when the kid was listening to his answering machine message again and again.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I thought it was as bad as Studio 60 was good.

The sheer implausibility of so many things going wrong in this little town of Jericho because of an explosion far, far away was enough to make me cringe. And *why* does everyone act like they're all stuck and isolated in this little town with no connection to the outside world anymore? Don't they all still have cars??

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

--content deleted--

Yeah, I did, partly because I knew I'd never watch another episode so I figured I might as well make it to the end of this one. The scene (like MANY of them for me) felt very disconnected though. A larger question of "Why don't these people just try to leave the town to go connect with the outside world" is posed for the audience - the scene of the girl driving away isn't defined as that at all. She's driving somewhere, for some reason, but from what I gathered it was just someone that happened to need to go somewhere, unrelated in any way to the larger issue of the town's problems, and inserted only as a way to show a shocking -- SHOCKING -- ending. (Of course, I'm not sure why dead birds after a presumably nuclear blast should come as a surprise.) And certainly they didn't mean for the birds to actually be a real deterent to someone getting to another town?

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Yeah, Lost meets Evergreen (for the small town everybody knows everybodies business) mixed with post-9/11 paranoia.

I figure it wears thin in a few weeks. But it does have some hope if they develop things.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

my review.

It's grown through the season. Still not stellar, but not a bad one to watch.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

So, after being interested in this for a while, I finally rented the first disc from Blockbuster and watched the first four episodes.

It was the beginning, so it was sketchy, but I almost cried when the kid was listening to his answering machine message again and again.

Same! This one scene captured some of the emotion and horror of such a nuclear disaster that I wish the rest of the show had managed to pull off.

It didn't.

I haven't watched more than four episodes, so things might get better, but these episodes lost me. Overall, it was...weak, as a post-nuclear disaster show. I wanted it to capture the terror and response of Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, and other similar stories, and it ... didn't.

It felt fake and too..."easy" and neat for the characters... Anyway.

Yeah.

:(

I've been watching this over the past few weeks on Netflix...I'm up to episode 17 I think.

I can understand the criticism of the show, particularly the fact that the town is unrealistically isolated from the rest of the country. However, I have quite a positive opinion of Jericho. I am especially impressed (or moved?) by the dynamics of the Green family (and all the baggage each member brings).

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

Overall, it was...weak, as a post-nuclear disaster show.

Yes. That's because it's not that kind of show. Jericho is more interested in exploring the nature of government and society than in milking the post-nuclear angle.

I can understand the criticism of the show, particularly the fact that the town is unrealistically isolated from the rest of the country.

Keep watching...

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.