Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

"Heroes" looks like it may be interesting.

After episode one, Heroes now looks VERY interesting.

To me, it felt like "How many established superheroes can we steal powers and stories from, scramble them, and then pass off as something new?"

I was bored beginning to end (hadn't meant to watch it, but mis-read the schedule for Studio 60's second episode). All of the pretentious "destiny" mumbo jumbo really turned me off, especially at the beginning. The cheerleader is just Miss Unbreakable. The Japanese guy seemed like he should take his over-the-top antics to MadTV. I'm going to get tired of his furrowed brow fits very, very quickly. And the only moment in the whole show that actually surprised me was the big bait-and-switch at the end.

Oh, and I did chuckle at the "Smith/Anderson" joke in the taxi cab. A nice, if not-so-creative, Matrix reference.

There gonna have to kick a lot of life and creativity into this to make it into its own thing. To learn how to pay homage while creating something new, see "Firefly."

2.0/5

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

There gonna have to kick a lot of life and creativity into this to make it into its own thing. To learn how to pay homage while creating something new, see "Firefly."

2.0/5

I was debating whether or not to watch - it's on the Tivo for now - but if this is being described in opposing terms to Firefly...

...I think I'll have to watch it. <_<

I'd give the pilot episode 3.5/5.

I was grossed out by some of the cheerleader's injuries, and had to turn away from the screen with Miss Internet Mom of the Year's antics. The only person to really stand out in my mind as a CHARACTER was Hiro, and he was a lot of fun. In fact, he was the only person who was any fun in this show.

That said, the idea of people gaining super powers in the real world is a fascinating one to me. Comic book artist Tim Sale is doing the paintings and comic book art for the show, and I like his stuff. And Greg Grundberg starts on the show with the next episode - and HE'S a lot of fun, no matter what he's in.

I was wondering if anyone else watched this. I actually enjoyed it. Sure, it suffers from Lost-envy, comic book rip-offs, and an all too close resemblence to Unbreakable. None the less, I really enjoyed it. The witch at the end was surprising, the Japanese character was great. At the end I was looking forward to seeing it next week.

I was a bit surprised about how much of their special abilities they showed in the first episode. I thought it would take a good two or three episodes before they started to emerge.

Overall, very promising. 3.5/5

To me, it felt like "How many established superheroes can we steal powers and stories from, scramble them, and then pass off as something new?"

I was bored beginning to end (hadn't meant to watch it, but mis-read the schedule for Studio 60's second episode). All of the pretentious "destiny" mumbo jumbo really turned me off, especially at the beginning. The cheerleader is just Miss Unbreakable. The Japanese guy seemed like he should take his over-the-top antics to MadTV. I'm going to get tired of his furrowed brow fits very, very quickly. And the only moment in the whole show that actually surprised me was the big bait-and-switch at the end.

You realize that Unbreakable was not remotely new or fresh. I say that as a person who loved the movie. I heard rumors it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy and I was disappointed to see that all we were likely to get was the first film, which wetted my appetite for more. There are so many established heroes, the idea that you are going to come up with a new one-or more specifically, a new power, is zero. I can't think of the last time I saw a new power. A slightly different take on an established power. Maybe the closest I can think of is Mitchell Hundred of Ex Machina. He can talk to mechanical objects. But if I looked hard enough, I bet that's been done before.

No, the most you can bring is a new person to the role. Super-powered kids are often the outcast and down trodden. None of the X-Men were cheerleaders or popular kids. How does someone else respond to similiar powers?

I am in this creative prediciment myself, as my co-creator make an effort to not make our characters seem like knock-offs of other characters. Although, now we will likely have to face accusations of ripping off Heroes (since ours is a tale based around average people getting super powers). :blink:

But to slam the show on one episode for having powers similair to established characters seems rather unfair. Especially based on a single episode (especially when you were defending Studio 60 against critics using the defense that we had seen only on episode).

You realize that Unbreakable was not remotely new or fresh.

Not remotely?

Sure, the superpowers were nothing terribly original, but the tone and the style Shyamalan brought to it, and the level of realism in the characters' predicaments, felt rather fresh and exciting to me. I liked that he was taking it all so seriously... How would it really affect an average joe in his daily life? There was an attentiveness and an introspective quality to it that made the old cliches seem new again.

Heroes hasn't done that for me... yet anyway.

And its faux-spiritual explorations is so far just that... a bland mishmash.

Not remotely?

Sure, the superpowers were nothing terribly original, but the tone and the style Shyamalan brought to it, and the level of realism in the characters' predicaments, felt rather fresh and exciting to me. I liked that he was taking it all so seriously... How would it really affect an average joe in his daily life? There was an attentiveness and an introspective quality to it that made the old cliches seem new again.

Heroes hasn't done that for me... yet anyway.

And its faux-spiritual explorations is so far just that... a bland mishmash.

At this point, what separates Unbreakable from Heroes is that there hasn't been barely any exploration into the characters. We hardly know how those who receive the superpowers and don't want them are coping. Nor do we know why some so desperately want to be special. With Unbreakable, Shyamalan slowly revealed what it meant for one character to realize what it meant to have superpowers. There are far to many characters in Heroes to reach in one episode what Shymalan did over the course of an entire film.

Now that I think about it, this show might not even be about the discovery of superpowers and how that effects those possessing those abilities. It feels like it will be, but it might not. It's tough to tell after one episode.

Edited by Kyle

I thought the first episode was OK. It's tough introducing so many characters into a single hour, so I didn't really get a chance to learn about any of them in depth. It will take a few more episodes to make a fair judgement on how good it is. But I think the gang is going to have to get together and form some kind of team sooner than later or else I'll lose interest.

Damon Lindelof (of LOST fame) interviews Tim Kring, creator and exec. producer of Heroes.

Kring seems to have a plan. Sort of. B)

Edited by BethR

Not remotely?

May have been new for movies. Not for comics though. People were doing more serious explorations of heroes/powers and how they effect people many years before. Again, I really liked Unbreakable's overall approach.

There were flaws. That whole 10% of the brain thing (I know a guy who pointed out that there are people who use more than 10% of their brain in the world. They are called epileptics) is a lame cliche. And they introduced so many characters it got confusing. Especially the hunky youg guys. I couldn't really keep them apart-especially the Taxi guy, the painter and the nurse. They all felt interchangable. They should have introduced the characters more slowly, this isn't like Lost where they are all trapped in one location together.

Nezpop wrote:

: That whole 10% of the brain thing (I know a guy who pointed out that there are people who use

: more than 10% of their brain in the world. They are called epileptics) . . .

I don't recall how Unbreakable makes use of this particular myth, but the idea that we only use 10% of our brains has no science backing it up whatsoever.

While I'm interested to learn the facts of brain function, since there aren't really any invulnerable, flying, or otherwise super-powered people, either (except by way of the rare, occasional divine miracle), let's just say that in the Heroes' universe, people were only using 10% of their brains and then...SOMETHING HAPPENED. :blink: Good grief, y'all, go along and enjoy the ride. It's not Studio 60...

Edited by BethR

I just find it lazy...plus, I don't see the logic of "using more brain power=invulnerability!!!" I could find the X-Men "sudden evolutionary jump" bit less annoying.

I just ignore it when they pour on that mumbo jumbo. I am giving it a chance and feel there is potential, regardless of flaws.

Last nights episode was better. It's not perfect, but I'm getting intrigued:

what's the deal with people getting frozen and their brains sawed off?

. I'm thinking it has alot of potential. However, there are some serious flaws. By not focusing on any one character, the show is muddied. I don't feel I know anything of signifigance about any one character. The writing is overly heavy-handed at times, I don't think subtlety is going to be one of its strong suits. Third bummer: not enough Greg Grunberg.

I do also like Hiro's character. The character who's reflection does some serious damage has potential because it is so weird. I really don't know what to expect on that one.

Anything of significance? How about

that the cheerleader's adopted father

is presumably the mass murderer?

I don't remember if it was the show or the marketing that laid it on pretty thick that for every superhero there would be a superenemy. He certainly seems to be the one they are making out to be the superenemy. What's the deal with him getting from New York to Texas very quickly in the first episode? Then,

he swipes his daughter's video tape and suddenly changes his mind about her meeting her birthparents. It seems like there would be something in it for him if she were to do that. Yet, he must have had some clue about his daughters potential for having special abilities.

I agree with Kyle - an improvement, definitely. Some confusion stemming from the time/space distortion thing. Obviously, the storylines involving the various heroes are not necessarily happening concurrently. Hiro's storyline was weeks ahead of the others, for example, and I see no reason why all the others must be synchronous. Well, actually on second thought most of the others must be happening simultaneously, since there's been crossover. The stripper/mom character's storyline may not be synchronous, though - and there were weird signs of time strangeness in this episode for her.

Anyone else think the hot gal in the Professor's building is probably a bad guy?

Greg Grunberg rules - this character is SO different from Weiss! What a loser! But loveable!

I think CrimsonLine is hitting on part of the shows problems at this point. With so much going on and so many characters, things are getting a bit muddled. I see promise because, despite the confusion, there is more clarity than the previous week. I think they'll be hitting their stride.

Our household is a big Greg Grunberg fan. I don't really like Felicity, but he made it redeamable. As Weiss, he provided Alias with the very necessary humor. I'm hoping he returns from the grave in Lost. So is this his first major TV role without JJ Abrams?

I think last night's episode was the best yet. Things are starting to come in focus, especially since the presence of evil/a bad guy started making itself known. Superpowers are cool in and of themselves but are only really interesting with a counter-power to struggle against. I'm really enjoying any scene with Hiro, Greg Grunberg, and I'm finding the young Indian man interesting as well.

My only problems: I'm getting a bit confused on the time-line of everything, especially concerning Hiro and with so many characters trying to be developed it still jumps around too much.

After last night's episode, I'm officially lost when it comes to the timeline(s?) on this show...

Yeah, I know what you mean. It certainly is a weakness of a show. It's one thing to muddle things up - keeps you thinking. It's an entirely different thing to present the timeline in any coherent fashion.

I'm still liking this show. Any confusion I've had is helped by generous repeats on SciFi (Friday at 7 p.m.) and even on Bravo--it's nice to be NBC & own other channels. And it's nice to have cable, I guess.

Tonight's episode is supposed to include a Big Clue. I expect that

"Save the cheerleader, save the world"

may turn out to be much less helpful than implied, but I'm still tuning in.

Yes.

And the DH and I were both jazzed last night to see several major characters meeting.

The senator's take-off and landing were especially good

. Some things seem so coincidental that they're leaning into the realm of some kind of providential...only we don't know who/what the providence is.

Another familiar face, glimpsed so briefly that it probably wasn't recognizable, but I've read next week's TV Guide--

Leonard Roberts as D.L.--last seen as "Forrest", one of Riley's Initiative buddies in season 4 of

Buffy

. I hope he'll turn out to have been misunderstood.

Bryan Fuller, who created WONDERFALLS, is a co-producer and writer on HEROES.