Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

The lack of sprititual questioning is a bit frustrating. Those who totally embrace their gifts seem to speak as if they were "destined" for greatness. This of course begs the question, "by whom". Granted, my faith naturally makes me ask those questions, but it seems obvious to me that the "by whom" question seems necessary. However, the Indian scientist who died or went missing and his son both seem preoccupied with evolutionary concerns.

Still, I really like this show, although I'm a bit disappointed I've missed the first 20 minutes each of the last two weeks due to a CPR/First Aid class at church.

Each episode is available the day after it airs at nbc.com. Hope that helps tie up loose ends :).

I've seen all but last night's episode, but my only reason to continue is Hiro and the debates over ethics the show seems to generate amongst my friends (especially regarding

Claire's actions before and after the bonfire

). Just not the superhero type, I guess. I do wish, though, that each episode of the show would turn the focus on a single character, Lost-style, while showing how their paths cross and eventually meet. Presenting everything at once isn't just confusing, but it also keeps us (me at least) from getting to know any one of the characters far beyond their introduction.

Edited by sanshiro_sugata

The jury's still out for me on this show. Maybe the writers are still figuring some things out, but it seems so contrived in places. For example, they haven't even begun to deal with the complexities of the cheerleader's condition--doesn't she feel any pain?

Yes. In the pilot episode, when she jams her hand into the garbage disposal it is pretty clear that it hurts. But I would venture that she recovers from the pain very quickly.

I really, really wanted to like this show. Rather than pick it apart for the scores of problems I see in it, I'll just say I had to stop watching it; it's not for me, particularly the director's choices. I actually became angry watching it, something I've not done over a television show since they hosed the final season of Millennium.

So the flaying we see in the autopsy scene was "manageable"?

Actually, I am guessing she did not feel it as it happened. She started to heal the minute the branch was removed. It appears that while the initial act of destruction hurts, she is not in pain during the healing process.

I really, really wanted to like this show. Rather than pick it apart for the scores of problems I see in it, I'll just say I had to stop watching it; it's not for me, particularly the director's choices. I actually became angry watching it, something I've not done over a television show since they hosed the final season of Millennium.

I'm sorry the show enraged you, Jason. But I wish you'd post more often just so I could read your sig-lines, which always make my day.

And surprise, surprise

they saved the cheerlead, so I guess that means the world is safe

. I'll be honest, I found myself doing other things while watching. But I'm invested enough in the show to make it through the full season, mostly because there are a few characters I'm interested in - Hiro and Greg Grunberg's character.

This series has officially bottomed-out for me

Hm. I am still really loving this show.

especially with the grossly heavy-handed political correctness from tonight's episode.

Not sure what you are talking about here. PC? Guess I missed that part.

And WHY did the nasty cheerleader's last name have to be "Wilcox" ?!

Not sure why this name is a bad choice. What's wrong with Wilcox?

And the whole bumping-into-the-cheerleader-so-he'd-be-invulnerable thing was really, really, obvious and, well, contrived.

Um... well he didn't really "Bump" into her, he was looking for her. Sure, he thought he was looking for the other cheerleader (the one with the awful Wilcox name :huh: ), but once Sylar showed up, and the screaming started, he would have found her anyway.

What I found interesting about Sylar is that he can't sense who has powers and who doesn't. He was fooled by the newspaper article as well. For some reason I thought one of his powers was to be able to sense when a person has powers. I guess it makes more sense now why he didn't go after Hiro last week, and just took the waitress.

Anyway still a great show for me.

Spielberg cites "Heroes" as an example of what's wrong with network TV:

Spielberg decried on-air promotions for television shows like "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" that showed "blood and people being dissected." He also said that when his favorite TV show of the new season, NBC's "Heroes," showed someone cut in half in the 9 p.m. hour, he sent his younger children out of the room.

"I'm a parent who is very concerned," he said.

I had no idea "Heroes" ventured into "CSI"-explicit territory. Now I have a reason not to watch the show.

Wil[L]cox is my last name, so that's why its obvious misapplication grossed me out.

Ah. Well, that character was faily two dimensional so I can see why you would take insult. But hey, she redeemed herself in the end by telling Claire to run. Ok, not really.

Spielberg decried on-air promotions for television shows like "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" that showed "blood and people being dissected." He also said that when his favorite TV show of the new season, NBC's "Heroes," showed someone cut in half in the 9 p.m. hour, he sent his younger children out of the room.

Cut in half? I don't remember that happening, at least not in last nights episode. However, it is true that I have been frequently surprised at how Heroes has been pushing the envelope on the amount of blood, and ripped up bodies they show.

Tried again to get into this show last night.

Walked away after the scene with Indian Guy Meets Dream Boy.

I just can't stand this show.

The main thing that's lacking here... fun. It's just grim. The constant sense of foreboding just chokes the life out of it. The dialogue is bland as sand. And the cookie-cutter lines about destiny and choosing paths... blecccccch.

And every time there's a big special effect, I just sit there thinking about how it's been done better elsewhere.

Hiro's goofy, but I'm already tired of him. He's a one-note character, like almost all of the rest of them.

I got tired of everyone else much earlier, because they're all playing variations on the same grim, morose theme. I wouldn't enjoy having any of these people as friends. Nobody's having any fun with their powers. The characters seem to be dragged through their existences kicking and screaming. Even Lost, with all of its melodrama, has more whimsy and humor than this.

Yes, I missed the big confrontation, but I didn't even want to see it because I just didn't care.

Oh, okay... *one* thing I like. The drug addict's paintings are cool. I would rather look at those.

I'll stop raining on this parade now, because I know other people are digging it. I've tried four or five times, though, so I'm out.

P.S. I think Spielberg was probably referring to seeing the cheerleader on the operating table with her chest peeled open.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

I thought last night's episode was a little lame, especially the way NBC hyped it as if the very fate of the world hinged on its outcome. I agree that the could use some more humor, and all the mumbo-jumbo with the Indian guy about destiny kills the show's pace. But I'm still intrigued by the characters and ongoing plot lines, and am enjoying it overall.

Yes they sort of skipped the honeymoon of the characters discovering there powers, and having fun with them. I do like that there are characters who are afraid of their powers, and that they are now very different from anyone they know, but they could have had one or two have a little fun. Hiro did in the first episode, but then things became un-fun very quickly when he found a guy with the top of his head sliced off and his brain missing. And then theres the whole New York disappearing into a ball of flame thing. Kind of makes you take life a little more seriously after seeing those kinds of things.

But I take your point.

Consider this perspective--a viewer whose background interests are manga and comicbooks, as well as general fantasy & sci-fi. She does know how to write--the fangirl-enthusiastic-style is put on.

On the other hand, maybe one reason I'm enjoying it is that I'm not expecting much from it. I've never read comic books, so I'm not always thinking, "Oh, that [character/plotline, etc.] is just like fill-in-the-blank-comic." At the same time, the show is obviously set up to parallel comics, with its own online, progressing graphic episodes, and Isaac's paintings done very much in "comics" style, making up panels of a graphic narrative. I'll concede that some graphic novels are also brilliantly written (e.g., Maus, Sandman series, maybe Joss Whedon's X-Men?), but generally, I don't expect much from comics except an exciting story. The writing isn't great, but at least it's not pompous. And unlike Lost, there is a definite sense that this show knows where it's going. So, I'm still intrigued.

I thought last night's episode was a little lame, especially the way NBC hyped it as if the very fate of the world hinged on its outcome. I agree that the could use some more humor, and all the mumbo-jumbo with the Indian guy about destiny kills the show's pace. But I'm still intrigued by the characters and ongoing plot lines, and am enjoying it overall.

Someone theorized that Sylar's powers manifest from

consumption of other "heroes" brains.

If he had been successful in doing that to Claire, he would have become literally unstoppable.

The Mohinder segments are the biggest downfall in this show so far. He's not an interesting character, meanders from place to place, and there's too much fretting over his father's work. Let's hope they settle that in the next 2-3 episodes - in as little time as needed.

BTW, the paintings are the work of Tim Sale, whose comic book work includes Superman: A Man for All Seasons; Batman: The Long Halloween (which was part of the basis for Batman Begins); and Spider-Man: Blue. He's got a very distinct artistic style for a comic book artist.

Edited by Clint M

The Mohinder segments are the biggest downfall in this show so far. He's not an interesting character, meanders from place to place, and there's too much fretting over his father's work. Let's hope they settle that in the next 2-3 episodes - in as little time as needed.

Must be one of those YMMV things, because I think Mohinder is one of the most interesting characters. He's not just fretting over his father's work, but dealing with his unresolved relationship with his father. His father's work is surely meant to be his work; he just has to figure out how. Maybe he doesn't have superpowers (or does he?), but he does have a quest, and that, in some ways, makes him more interesting than the characters who just woke up one day and said "Whoa! I can [insert superpower here]!"

On the other hand, maybe one reason I'm enjoying it is that I'm not expecting much from it. ... generally, I don't expect much from comics except an exciting story. The writing isn't great, but at least it's not pompous. And unlike Lost, there is a definite sense that this show knows where it's going. So, I'm still intrigued.

+1 for me. Plus, I'm a sucker for time travel bits.

Spielberg cites "Heroes" as an example of what's wrong with network TV:

"I'm a parent who is very concerned," he said.

Whew, I hope he never runs into the guy who was behind this.

Nobody's having any fun with their powers. The characters seem to be dragged through their existences kicking and screaming.

*boo* I've got way too many IVs already running from each thread of the story, I don't have time for /fun/ and /whimsy/ - I need my plot drip fixes. Take two SpongeBobs and sit down, you're blocking the view... ;-)

Edited by chrismo

As per usual, last night's episode was a muddled mess, but in a good way. I think it is unfortunate that the producers continue to jerk the audience back and forward in time as they have been doing. Time travel of this type works much better in movies where you are concerntrating your concentration for a shorter period of time. But when you're watching once per week, it's difficult to remember what happened when and where we are now. I think the producers would have been much better off putting tonight's episode much earlier in the show. I realize that tonight's episode was intended to give us some background as to who Sylar is and where he came from - that is fine, save that info for now. But, the rest of the heroes- especially the flying brothers, Greg Grunberg's character, the cheerleader, and the split personality would have been better served if their story was told a bit earlier.

I'm continually frustrated by this show. As I said, I think it's muddled, but there is still something that keeps me watching. Unlike Jeffrey, I think, as this episode shows, come of the characters - Hiro and Greg Grunberg specifically - are wrestling with their special gifts and how they can be used. Not only that, they are wrestling with fear, fear of failure.

I've committed myself to watching season one, but beyond that...time will tell.

I'm still digging this show, but I agree that last nights episode wasn't spectacular. We did learn some cool things to add to each Heroes origin story though.

I read in TV Guide this morning that Christopher Eccleston will be joining the cast in January. His character has the power of invisibility. He has had his powers for longer than any of the other Heroes and will become a mentor to Peter. Cool!!!

I read in TV Guide this morning that Christopher Eccleston will be joining the cast in January. His character has the power of invisibility. He has had his powers for longer than any of the other Heroes and will become a mentor to Peter. Cool!!!

Invisibility? So really, he could have been on the show all along? It sounds good though. An elder hero is a nice and needed touch.

Time travel of this type works much better in movies where you are concerntrating your concentration for a shorter period of time. But when you're watching once per week, it's difficult to remember what happened when and where we are now.

Because of all the traveling I do (although not through time) I've only been able to watch about two episodes in "normal mode". I've purchased the whole season so far from iTunes. I tell you, watching this show sans commercials and being able to go back and see some parts over again, have made me sold on iTunes for this show. I think it helps immensely. I've kind of gotten to the point that I'd rather not watch it on Monday nights.

You can also catch the most recent episode on NBC.com after it airs for free. I recommend trying that out for a while, too.

I love the show and am hooked.

Joe

Time travel of this type works much better in movies where you are concerntrating your concentration for a shorter period of time. But when you're watching once per week, it's difficult to remember what happened when and where we are now.

Because of all the traveling I do (although not through time) I've only been able to watch about two episodes in "normal mode". I've purchased the whole season so far from iTunes. I tell you, watching this show sans commercials and being able to go back and see some parts over again, have made me sold on iTunes for this show. I think it helps immensely. I've kind of gotten to the point that I'd rather not watch it on Monday nights.

You can also catch the most recent episode on NBC.com after it airs for free. I recommend trying that out for a while, too.

I love the show and am hooked.

Joe

Yeah, I imagine that would help. My wife keeps trying to sell me on the benefits of watching television over the internet, but I just can't seem to do it. Maybe I should, I'd actually be able to stay awake through an entire episode of Studio 60, which she loves.

I thought last nights "fall finale" was solid. One of the best of the seasons. For the first time it seemed settled down. It felt like the writers knew where they wanted to go and went there. They didn't try to do to much with this episode. I was intrigued by the way Peter and Claire were wrestling with their powers. For the first time Claire began to question why she could do what she does, that perhaps it is more than a curse. Let it also be said that Sylar could be a very cool character.

Let it also be said that Sylar could be a very cool character.

not to mention very very scary...

Let it also be said that Sylar could be a very cool character.

not to mention very very scary...

I find his motivations very interesting. His desire is to be special, important. It's interesting that thus far, he does this by doing evil. What is his end game? To have tons of special powers? To me, that doesn't seem like much of a goal. What good are super powers as ends in and of themself? Does he have some sort of goal? World domination? I think there is alot to explore here.