Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

Let it also be said that Sylar could be a very cool character.

not to mention very very scary...

I find his motivations very interesting. His desire is to be special, important. It's interesting that thus far, he does this by doing evil. What is his end game? To have tons of special powers? To me, that doesn't seem like much of a goal. What good are super powers as ends in and of themself? Does he have some sort of goal? World domination? I think there is alot to explore here.

Plus, the audience still has no clue to the exact method he gets these powers. All we know is that the brain is involved, and he understands how it works, but that's it!

I can't help but think this show is on the verge of greatness. Heroes has managed to build a story - somewhat uneven at times - that keeps me wondering "what's next??". And as everyone here has noticed, there seems to be a defined direction with everything, which is a nice touch. I can't wait till Jan to see the next chapter.

BTW, the online comics do a nice job filling in some details of events that take place inbetween episodes. This week's comic answers one big question I had from this episode regarding the fate of Eden.

Edited by Clint M

I read in TV Guide this morning that Christopher Eccleston will be joining the cast in January.

8O

No. way.

He might finally give me a reason to like the show.

Plus, the audience still has no clue to the exact method he gets these powers. All we know is that the brain is involved, and he understands how it works, but that's it!

Okay, I realize I'm only 1/2 paying attention (to the show and this thread) but didn't they establish that in like his second scene (with the telekinetics guy)? It seemed apparent to me that

he absorbs the power of whoever he kills, so the more he kills the more power he has. He had no power, then he killed the telekinesis guy, then he could move objects.

But it has also been implied that it has to do something with his watch fixing abilities. He says "he knows how things work." Still, this is odd. Why go to med school when you can do brain work by working on watches for a few years. Maybe, fixing the brain is his power. Or maybe, this is a weak plot point.

I find his [syalr's] motivations very interesting. His desire is to be special, important. It's interesting that thus far, he does this by doing evil. What is his end game? To have tons of special powers? To me, that doesn't seem like much of a goal. What good are super powers as ends in and of themself? Does he have some sort of goal? World domination? I think there is alot to explore here.

Didn't he say something about having to punish the "special" ones for not being "special" enough, in their moral approach to the world? They are not being heroes, but don't like having their powers - Sylar feels he deserves them more than they do, and that they need to be killed for it.

Actually, that's my main complaint about these people, too. There seems to be no "up" side to having these powers. They are just a curse and a drag. That's a bummer to me.

I like the show, but that's my main complaint.

I find his [syalr's] motivations very interesting. His desire is to be special, important. It's interesting that thus far, he does this by doing evil. What is his end game? To have tons of special powers? To me, that doesn't seem like much of a goal. What good are super powers as ends in and of themself? Does he have some sort of goal? World domination? I think there is alot to explore here.

Didn't he say something about having to punish the "special" ones for not being "special" enough, in their moral approach to the world? They are not being heroes, but don't like having their powers - Sylar feels he deserves them more than they do, and that they need to be killed for it.

Actually, that's my main complaint about these people, too. There seems to be no "up" side to having these powers. They are just a curse and a drag. That's a bummer to me.

Yeah, I seem to remember Sylar saying that now. Still, that seems like a pretty thin motivation if you ask me. So he kills them all and gets their powers? Then what? Powers for the sake of having powers? I'm not buying it.

About the heroes not fully embracing their special powers: I guess that is why I like Hiro and Peter's characters. They at least are coming to grips with their new powers. Not only that, they are coming to grips with it awkwardly, like a new child learning to walk. They know they should be doing something, they just don't know what. I find that easy to relate with. I'm not sure I would know what to do if I woke up with the ability to bend time and space, that's alot of responsibility. As Back to the Future taught us, the space-time continium is nothing to mess with. One does not wish to create a time-space paradox and annihilate one's own existance.

To me, the whole "these powers suck" thing works. In the Heroes universe, this idea that people are given extraordinary abilities is still brand new to that world, so they are still trying to figure out what to do with them. Kyle nails it perfectly with his description of Hiro and Peter, in that they both have fully embraced the idea that these powers are something wonderful. Other characters are more motivated to curse their powers by the current situation at hand - Nathan Petrelli's power possibly resulted in his wife becoming paralyzed; Nikki's superhuman power is complicated by the fact that it is controlled by her Jessica personality; Claire's power has resulted in the death of a friend, the sudden loss of another friend, the sudden realization that her father is not whom he seems to be; etc. Peter and Hiro have good reason to be motivated by the mystery of their "genetic mutation", as it produces in them a sense that they are special people, given abilities that give them a sense of purpose and meaning. The other characters have something or someone in their lives that prevents them from that awe, rendering any feelings they have towards their extraordinary abilities as freakish disbelief, suppression, and even fear towards themselves.

It's still the beginning of this show, and I think it will flesh itself out nicely. DC Comics did something similar a few years ago with their characters in a story called The New Frontier, which was a nice mix of 1940-50's styled comic book art with a modern-era storytelling vibe.

Edited by Clint M

To me, the whole "these powers suck" thing works. In the Heroes universe, this idea that people are given extraordinary abilities is still brand new to that world, so they are still trying to figure out what to do with them. Kyle nails it perfectly with his description of Hiro and Peter, in that they both have fully embraced the idea that these powers are something wonderful. Other characters are more motivated to curse their powers by the current situation at hand

Works for me, especially after reading a couple of early interviews with HEROES creator Tim Kring, in which he talks about his conception of the the superpowers as metaphors for the characters "ambitions and fears":

I thought about a lot of these powers as metaphors for the characters. Take the character that Ali Larter plays, Nikki, who's a single mother stretched about as thin as you can be, so I started thinking of a single mother stretched so thin that her power is she can literally be in two places at one time. Greg Grunberg plays a cop, and I started to think what would be the ultimate power if you were a cop? What would be the most advantageous power that you can have? Being able to read other people's thoughts, if you think about it. You could know who is telling the truth, who's not, where the money's buried, who the culprit of the crime is? So I approached him like that.

With a character like Hiro, that character was added actually very late in the process, after I had written a couple drafts, and gave it to a few people that I know and trust. People were kind of overwhelmed with the heaviness, the tone of the piece, because every character is dealing with the discovery of these powers in a really realistic way in the same way that you or I would.... It would trouble you. It would really disrupt your life. I sort of treated all of these characters with the same realistic reaction. A character like Claire, a teenage girl who finds that she's indestructible, for her it's the last thing she wants is to be different. She wants to fit in. She wants to be popular. No teenage kid ever wants to feel different. So I needed one character who would sort of break that mold and actually embrace these abilities with a certain amount of enthusiasm and zeal. I thought of this trapped office worker bee drone kind of character, who had always fantasized about being different and being special, had read comic books and watched movies. So for [Hiro], this discovery is the greatest thing that ever happened, the answer to all of his wildest dreams.

And in this other interview, Kring says:

...if you woke up one day and had an inkling that your foot had hovered over the floor for a split second before you touched the ground and you were having these very vivid flying dreams and suddenly became convinced that you could fly, how would that jive with the rest of your life if you had a job and a family and bills to pay and rent to pay, and yet what do you do with this, especially when it begins to take over your life to a point where you realize that it

The more this series starts treating its principals as flesh-and-blood, spiritual creatures, and less like walking elements of some giant chain reaction, the better.

I'd agree with you on that part. The characters are starting to flesh out a bit more, but there's just too much mystery in certain events and character actions that I wish they would reveal soon. I'm hoping that this season (and the next season) will be like Spider-Man was to Spider-Man 2 - a good setup with a better payoff.

OH, and of course the obvious reason why the cheerleader is so important:

She is the *only* one who can get near radioactive man without getting hurt

. Duh.

Interesting point, and one I had not thought about.

And, of course, the revelation that the mysterious man--the cheerleader's "father"--

is "super" himself in that he seems impervious to the powers of others, at least the mental powers

?

I don't think the show has ever implied that he has any type of power. This episode was one of the very few times that the Hatian wasn't around the father during a plot moving event, but it never shows him gone anytime when

the father and Sylar were chatting

And, of course, the revelation that the mysterious man--the cheerleader's "father"--

is "super" himself in that he seems impervious to the powers of others, at least the mental powers

?

I don't think the show has ever implied that he has any type of power. This episode was one of the very few times that the Hatian wasn't around the father during a plot moving event, but it never shows him gone anytime when

the father and Sylar were chatting

Not at all; it's clearly indicated that he has a power -- remember when Officer Zoltan couldn't read his mind (or the mind of anyone near him)? And power-mimicking guy also had a weird reaction to his presence. It was like he generated some kind of damping field. He also was immune to (and unafraid of) Silar and isn't affected by suggest-o-girl (not to mention the Haitian). He also isn't present when the Haitian does his, cough, voodoo, and wasn't present when Silar was siezed by his lackeys (presumably because his presence would have interfered with their ability to sieze him). All of which makes me wonder if he was somehow nearby when HeroHiro couldn't do his thang.

(Sorry about my naming conventions, but it's only treating the characters like the commodities the show gives us.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought it was the Hatian that was causing all those difficulties. When Peter (the power-mimicking guy) had a weird reaction, I think the Hatian was around the corner, the same when Officer Zoltan couldn't do any mind reading. (I know one of those two, after being unable to do there thing, the shot moved to show the Hatian standing around the corner.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought it was the Hatian that was causing all those difficulties. When Peter (the power-mimicking guy) had a weird reaction, I think the Hatian was around the corner, the same when Officer Zoltan couldn't do any mind reading. (I know one of those two, after being unable to do there thing, the shot moved to show the Hatian standing around the corner.)

This is what I thought, too. The Haitian was around the corner when the FBI were talking Claire and her dad. And the Haitian was with her dad when the FBI were in the car and Zoltan got the bloody noise.

Heroes returned last night with "Godsend". I think it's a safe bet that Mr. Bennett doesn't go anywhere without the Haitian, whose powers apparently include

both erasing people's memories and dampening other superpowers

. At the nbc.com/heroes site, you can now watch episodes online with video commentary by cast/crew.

The symbol on the sword Hiro wants is the same as that tattooed on several heroes. Ando interprets it as combining two Japanese characters meaning "great talent" and "godsend."

Later, this exchange between Claire and the Haitian:

C--You have to give me something. Nothing in my life has been real...I don't want to be alone.

H--You are not alone. I cannot give your friend's memories back. My gift does not work that way.

C--Your gift. Is that what you call it? I call it a freakshow.

H--What you can do, what I can do--that is God. Respect the calling.

The series has been renewed for a second season.

Edited by BethR

About five minutes into this episode, I looked over at my wife and reiterated a point I've made before: "With all the time jumping and lack of extended character focus and the weekly episodes this show just isn't for television."

I look forward to this show, I really looked forward to this show starting back up again. Yet, I found myself rather distracted last night. By a half hour into it, I was up doing other stuff.

And note that I predicted the mimic-guy exploding quite a while ago.

Dull, dull, dull.

or maybe not so dull. If it's that obvious, it's probably not what will actually happen, especially given that most, if not all of the "prophetic" paintings, so far, have been incomplete or misleading in some way. E.g.--Hiro v. T.rex

But there are a few mysteries:

-> Who is the cheerleader's mother?

For that matter, who is the cheerleader's father--do we have any reason to think Mr. B. is her real father?

And note that I predicted the mimic-guy exploding quite a while ago.

Dull, dull, dull.

or maybe not so dull. If it's that obvious, it's probably not what will actually happen, especially given that most, if not all of the "prophetic" paintings, so far, have been incomplete or misleading in some way. E.g.--Hiro v. T.rex

But there are a few mysteries:

-> Who is the cheerleader's mother?

For that matter, who is the cheerleader's father--do we have any reason to think Mr. B. is her real father?

I'll just point out that, so far, I am right--both regarding Isaac's paintings as they continue to be produced and interpreted, and in the sense that my question about Mr. Bennett was rhetorical and expected the answer "No."

Plus, George Takei! Christopher Eccleston!

Stan Lee!

::tv_happy::

Edited by BethR

I thought last night's episode was one of the strongest yet. It was well focused and more importantly there was character struggle - especially in terms of coming to grips with their own abilities. Not to mention - the episode focused on some of the stronger characters which was good. Finally, the fact that they focused on less characters for a more substantial period of time was a good move.

i also find it interesting that sylar and peter petrelli also have powers that are very similar - though they function differently (due to personalities?). they both, in one way or another, are superpower "moochers"

...and then there's the [seeming?] difference in ideology between peter and his 'mentor' - "empty your mind!" vs "think on those things!". curious. who's training whom in this show? how much longer before the x-men show up?

things seem to be continually tightening and/ or circling back - which may or may not become frustrating.

I think the best moment from last night's episode was watching Dr. Who punch Peter in the face. :D

Edited by Clint M

I enjoyed Mr. Sulu getting in to a limo at the end of the show - a limo with license plate NCC-1701!

Hiro's Journey and the Christian's vocation, plus links to other articles.

i know! stan the man!

he seems to be getting a lot of mileage these days...'bout time!

on another note: it looks like they're gettin' ready to amp up the violence/ action and blurring the lines a bit on our main characters - peter's po'd, matt's struggling with shadiness and getting a little desparate...generally, there's alot more anger, frustration and desparation. a volatile mix...

Reminder: new episodes of Heroes resume Monday night (Apr. 23) on NBC, or online (with or without commentaries) within a day or so after original broadcast.

Kring is beginning to interest me. I read that he got his bachelors in Religious Studies at UCSB. I certainly think Heroes is the most spiritual show on TV right now. I never watched Crossing Jordan. Did it have an undercurrent to it that matched the religious allusion of the title?