Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

So Peter

can only use one power at a time

?

Not necessarily. I thought it was more that he was under stress and

the power in question is unusually difficult to control--it took Ted longer than most to figure it out even when it was his from the start.

But who knows?

All I can say is, "Save the cheerleader. Save the world." now reads as two separate mandates, unless Claire's going to play a more significant role in saving the world next season ;-)

Article summing up the big finale and highlighting the hints and brief glimpse we got of the start of season 2-- :spoilers: !

All I can say is, "Save the cheerleader. Save the world." now reads as two separate mandates, unless Claire's going to play a more significant role in saving the world next season ;-)

In essence, saving the cheerleader DID save the world... because it prevented Sylar from grabbing her "gift", thus making him indestructible.

Yeah, that's what I always thought the "Save the cheerleader. Save the world." line meant. It was future Hiro that figured out that stopping Sylar from getting Claire's power would allow his past self to kill Sylar. That's why future Hiro went to the past to give the message.

In any case, it appears that

Sylar isn't dead

and I would be willing to bet that

both Peter (he's indestructable) and his brother (he could have flown away before Peter exploded) are still alive

If he can use more than one power at a time, he'll

be back

--because he has Claire's gift.

I'm not so sure. When Claire got cut open in her car wreck, that was one thing. But given fragments of Peter would be scattered throughout the atmosphere, that will be some feat reassembling himself again.

I'm willing to bet if Peter didn't survive, then Nathan flew away before he exploded, because at least one Petrelli has to come back next season to face off against Mama Petrelli.

I hope Matt Parkman survived the gunshot wounds. The episode did give a glimmer of hope there.

As far as Season 2 goes, that looks like that will be really cool. Maybe the writers have been influenced by Akira Kurosawa!

So Peter

can only use one power at a time

?

Tim Kring explains all--but not very satisfactorily, if you ask me.

Same link as in the Battlestar Galactica thread... Kevin Smith is set to write and direct the first episode of the Heroes spinoff, Heroes: Origins. Kinda early for a spinoff series isn't it?

Same link as in the Battlestar Galactica thread... Kevin Smith is set to write and direct the first episode of the Heroes spinoff, Heroes: Origins. Kinda early for a spinoff series isn't it?

It's going to be a six-week series showcasing a new hero each week, with the public voting for the one that will come back for season 3.

Cast news: Nichelle Nichols (Yes, another Star Trek:TOS alumni) and Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars herself) are joining the rest of the Heroes this season. Bell will be on at least 12-13 episodes, and maybe more.

Edited by Clint M

Season premiere TONIGHT, 9/24, 9 p.m. EDT

I quite like this show and I'm finally caught up to current runs. (By the way, all the episodes of Heroes from BOTH seasons are available for instant viewing on NETFLIX).

I love the bigger story arch, but there are moments and verismilitude things that just drive me nuts. Have the writers ever actually been inside a high school in the last ten years?

And how does the Bennet family live in such a huge house? Did they file an insurance claim to buy it? That's got to be pretty easy to track. Pretty consipicuous for a family on the run.

I'm really enjoying the Hero storyline so far. I'm always a fan of swordplay. The others have some intriguing possibilites. But it will take a few more weeks to see how all this will fit together, to see how it compares to the first season.

It could be a rental, or even a safehouse.

In California? This house would rent for near ten G's a month!

Safehouse? Hmmm... interesting... I wonder who would be behind that.

Lisa de Moraes says that now that the ratings dust has settled, it's official: "Among returning series, 'Heroes' is the biggest ratings bust this season, from its first week to its second."

Lisa de Moraes says that now that the ratings dust has settled, it's official: "Among returning series, 'Heroes' is the biggest ratings bust this season, from its first week to its second."

Hope everyone actually reads the linked article which explains what "ratings dust" means. A little context:

Meanwhile, one of the disadvantages of cuming your Premiere Week Monday and Saturday broadcasts of "Heroes" and reporting that as the Monday performance is that your next-week numbers are going to look very bad by comparison.

In other words, the "biggest ratings bust" news appears to be the result of a new way of lying with statistics. Who knows what the raw data was/is? Probably PTC. ;)

BethR wrote:

: In other words, the "biggest ratings bust" news appears to be the result of a new way of lying with statistics. Who knows what the raw data was/is? Probably PTC. ;)

Heh. Sorry, don't watch TV, don't follow TV. :)

I think the point is that once you stop adding the audience from a second broadcast into the total number of viewers who watched Monday night's broadcast, the numbers for Monday night's broadcast drop quite a bit, and in comparison to a year earlier, reflect a big dropoff.

EDIT: Ooops, no. The biggest bust referred to the dropoff from week 1 of season 2 to week 2 of season 2, or, as the article states:

Meanwhile, one of the disadvantages of cuming your Premiere Week Monday and Saturday broadcasts of "Heroes" and reporting that as the Monday performance is that your next-week numbers are going to look very bad by comparison.

In this case, the Monday "Heroes" plunged by 30 percent among viewers of all ages and by 25 percent in the 18-49 age bracket.

This enables us to claim that among returning series, "Heroes" is the biggest ratings bust this season, from its first week to its second.

Edited by Christian

I think the point is that once you stop adding the audience from a second broadcast into the total number of viewers who watched Monday night's broadcast, the numbers for Monday night's broadcast drop quite a bit, and in comparison to a year earlier, reflect a big dropoff.

EDIT: Ooops, no. The biggest bust referred to the dropoff from week 1 of season 2 to week 2 of season 2, or, as the article states:

In this case, the Monday "Heroes" plunged by 30 percent among viewers of all ages and by 25 percent in the 18-49 age bracket.

This enables us to claim that among returning series, "Heroes" is the biggest ratings bust this season, from its first week to its second.

And let's not forget why Nielsen thought this a legit practice in the first place. While their numbers for the Monday night episode might be low, that monday was techincally a rerun since they already showed the episode on sat.

I'd be interested in a look at how shows that post their episodes on the internet are fairing in ratings. I know I make less of an issue about seeing a show if I know I can view it later on the web.

I hope there's a new BNBG, tho. Sylar was an awesome foe in Season One - scary in every way - but he's been defeated. It doesn't look like they're going this route, but it seems to me that the Heroes should face a new BNBG this season, maybe picking Sylar back up next season.

I like that Sylar retains his evil this season, but appears unable to acquire powers by eating brains.

I like that Sylar retains his evil this season, but appears unable to acquire powers by eating brains.

Whatever makes you think that's a permanent--or even season-long--condition? I don't know what the future holds for him, but I'm sure he'll be up to something more dastardly than mere evil intentions before long.

Edited by BethR

I'd be interested in a look at how shows that post their episodes on the internet are fairing in ratings. I know I make less of an issue about seeing a show if I know I can view it later on the web.

I don't know about internet viewings, but here's an article about how Nielsen is now counting DVR viewings in the ratings (NY Times, so may only be viewable for free for a short time)

I don't know about internet viewings, but here's an article about how Nielsen is now counting DVR viewings in the ratings (NY Times, so may only be viewable for free for a short time)
Slightly off-topic, but NY Times finally got rid of TimeSelect, so their archives back to the late 80's is all free (and some articles that are pre-1920's), so you don't have to worry about articles only being available for free for a short time anymore.

Back to Heroes, I'm interested so far. It looks like we will learn more about the company. I hope that Hiro returns to the present soon, though.

I'm pretty sure Sylar did eat brains.

He ate the brain of that illusion-casting gal, and did not gain her power. BethR's right, that may not be a permanent condition, but it at least keeps Sylar out of the running as BNBG for now

Hm. Every summary or recap I've read of the show says that he did. But here's the poop from Wikipedia:

In "Fallout", Mr. Bennet mentions that Sylar's powers are a product of using foreign DNA to alter his own. However, the series has left it intentionally ambiguous as to how Sylar does so once he removes a victim's brain. In a March 22, 2007, interview executive producer Tim Kring, when asked if Sylar eats brains, laughed that "that's the popular speculation. There is a connection between the powers and the brain - and Sylar has found it. Early in season 2, you'll find out what he's been doing with the brains."[5] Bryan Fuller also explained in an interview that the original concept was that "[sylar] kills people and he eats their brains and he, like, digests their power"; however, in order to avoid the potential silliness and zombie associations, they decided to deliberately make this fact vague in the series.[6] Whether or not Sylar's cannibalism is literal or metaphorical, various episodes express his assimilation of powers in cannibalistic language. For example, in "Parasite", Sylar loses his composure when demanding the list of heroes Mohinder is compiling, saying, "Give me that damn list! So I can ... sink my teeth in!" In "The Hard Part", Molly Walker, who witnessed her parents die at Sylar's hands, is more direct about this fact. When Mohinder says that they're going to stop Sylar, she claims that the Bogeyman (referring to Sylar) "sees into your soul and then it eats your brain."

quick question: i was away at a conference last monday and no one i know recorded episode 2 -- anyone know where i can see it online?

Edited by techne

quick question: i was away at a conference last monday and no one i know recorded episode 2 -- anyone know where i can see it online?

NBC.com or Netflix and probaby youtube