Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

Does anyone know when the 3rd season starts?

Sept. 22, according to the official NBC website.

Does anyone know when the 3rd season starts?

Sept. 22, according to the official NBC website.

TVguide.com spoils season 3 some. Among other things, my hero

Mohinder finally gets some supertalent...and more

. They'd better not mess this up.

Season 3: VILLAINS

Eps. 1-2.

Some interesting plotlines started in this 2-part opening. Mainly, I was entertained by the decision to close ep. 1 with Mohinder's voiceover of

the entire text of W.B. Yeats's "The Second Coming"--which is also the episode title, so maybe no surprise

. My advice for the rest of the season: copy the poem down, note the scene/character correlations in the voiceover, and then watch carefully.

Or not, since it's Tim Kring & not Joss Whedon, but I've scheduled it into the DVR...we'll see where it goes.

Various spoilery comments & speculations:

I'm not sure why Nathan Petrelli seems to think he's now on a mission from God, since he must know that Peter healed him--oh wait, he's decided all the powers are gifts from God? OK. But he's seeing visions of Linderman--why? If "Tracy Strauss" really is not Nikki/Jessica, then she must be a clone of some kind.

Heroes continues its cast allusions to other well-loved sci-fi shows by bringing in Bruce Boxleitner (Babylon 5's Sheridan) as the governor. Another guy who paints the future--on rocks in Africa! Will that make his works harder to track down than Isaac's? I said I'd be happy to see superpowered Mohinder, but not if they're going to turn him into The Fly!

I don't know... the entire season premiere felt very chaotic to me, almost like they were trying to make up for the abbreviated second season by cramming as many ideas and storylines as possible into the premiere. Which, even at two hours, felt over-stuffed to me, which seemed to push out much of the charm or wonder that I've come to enjoy from the series.

It seemed like the show was trying to make up for Season 2's shortcomings (unfolding too slowly, uninteresting plotlines) with Season 3 by blitzing us with a whole lot of plot and conflict, and the effect was nearly overwhelming. Still, it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

The story of

Hiro and "Dash-girl"

is promising, as well as

Super-Mohinder, although it seems like they stole the idea of superpowers-in-a-test-tube from the late show

The 4400

I posted about last year's ratings for the season premiere, so I thought it might be worthwhile to do so again for this year' premiere. From The Washington Post's "Winners and Losers" TV column:

LOSERS

"Heroes." NBC yesterday acknowledged the number of viewers who watched Monday's season debut of "Heroes" was down 23 percent compared with last year's debut. But the other networks insisted it was down 42 percent. Quite the mystery, until we noticed the other networks said "Heroes" opened with 17 million viewers last year, while NBC put the number at 13.94 million.

Remember how last year NBC took advantage of a new Nielsen rule that allowed it to combine the season debut's Monday audience with its Saturday rerun, because both broadcasts contained exactly the same ads, and apply the "cumed" number to the Monday telecast while expunging the very existence of that Saturday time slot from its Premiere Week? Remember how NBC's research chief patted knicker-knotted reporters on the head and explained patiently that this cumulative number reflects the way people watch television in "the contemporary media environment"? NBC is now saying "never mind" when it pulls out this 13.94 million number. "We don't allow take-backs in our playground," the other networks are responding. We agree. Down 42 percent it is.

Oh, whatever. I DVR'd the thing and watched it the next morning. When are they going to put that in the ratings?!

I've watched all 3 seasons worth of Heroes in the last week and a half. It's fair to say that I'm hooked.

Season 1 was great. Maybe a little over-long, but the writing was very compelling. Season 2 was a little lower key, but I'll take it as a setup for what they've done so far in season 3.

Often when I see things that twist the action around like this, I really wonder if they know where they're going or if they sit around each week and say "what could we do that would *really* make jaws drop?" I hope they have something interesting in mind for the remainder of Villians. I'm guessing this whole "paint the future" deal indicates that they have some idea where they're going, but how many more twists can they really throw into the plot?

I don't know, but certainly Sylar-making-waffles was an eye-opener for me. I'm curious what MohinderFly looks like. And the new distinction between Heroes who are BORN versus heroes who are MADE will probably be a very interesting one.

Poor Parkman. The guy will never, ever have a happy family.

I don't know, but certainly Sylar-making-waffles was an eye-opener for me.

I think that was my favorite scene in season 3 so far, if only because it brought back some of the lightheartedness that was present earlier in the series, but has been rather lacking this season.

That being said, the way it all ended --

with the death of Sylar's son

-- was a little hard to watch for us.

That being said, the way it all ended --

with the death of Sylar's son

-- was a little hard to watch for us.

It's rare that you see that kind of event on TV, that's for sure. But the fact that THAT was the event that precipitated Sylar's

going nuclear

was I think very meaningful.

Well, here's a "twist" they haven't bothered to deal with yet - where is Molly??!! She was with Mohinder and Maya in the final episode from last season; was living with Mohinder and Matt. Yet somehow, she's mysteriously disappeared in the meantime, which... makes me really wonder about whether the writers are thinking about continuity issues at all. (I'd also like to know what's going on with Nikki's son, cousin, aunt, grandma, etc.)

Did you watch the latest episode? Molly's in it, albeit four years in the future...

So the guy's name is Silar, not Silas, right? We named our son Silas, and a family friend asked us why we named him after a notorious TV villain!

So the guy's name is Silar, not Silas, right? We named our son Silas, and a family friend asked us why we named him after a notorious TV villain!

Actually, it's Sylar, but close enough. :)

Well, here's a "twist" they haven't bothered to deal with yet - where is Molly??!! She was with Mohinder and Maya in the final episode from last season; was living with Mohinder and Matt. Yet somehow, she's mysteriously disappeared in the meantime, which... makes me really wonder about whether the writers are thinking about continuity issues at all. (I'd also like to know what's going on with Nikki's son, cousin, aunt, grandma, etc.)

I didn't really think she was missing, per se. Matt got transported to Africa, and Mohinder is caught up in a few events. It doesn't really seem like a continuity breach to me. She's a little girl, she goes to school, and Maya is still around to watch her while Mohinder is doing his thing. I can forgive a series with this large a cast for choosing not to focus on one or two for a while.

That said, I was wondering when "St. Joan" (I forget her name in the show... Monica?) was going to show up. So far I don't think anyone in that family except Micah has been shown in Season 3. I imagine they'll have an important part to play, though. We'll see.

And the alternate time line thing that's happening right now (complete with Evil Claire) literally doesn't make much sense.

I read that one of the online comics that accompany the show went a little deeper into how Claire became evil. Although it wasn't really clear that she was the evil one and not Peter in the future. :) They were just on different sides. I'm assuming the future is going to change anyway... not going to let it bother me.

The part that did bother me. Future Peter came back and changed the past. The next time we see him, he's completely aware of everything that's happened in the future that changed. For instance, people with powers are no longer hunted, but now everyone has them. Future Peter still has a scar, somehow, is still Claire's enemy (as he was in the future that he prevented), and is still trying to fix the future. The abruptness in how Future Peter's background changed, while he stayed the exact same character, seemed a little off to me. And how did he...

die in the future? Can't he regenerate

?

Edited by theoddone33

And how did he...

die in the future? Can't he regenerate

?

The Haitian was behind him.

And I do think they've made some abrupt transitions that are really problematic re. plot continuity and more. One of the biggest:

Mohinder's apparent lust for power, and his (now) complete disregard of his responsibility toward Molly. He's been depicted as being quite selfless, dedicated to helping others, and attempting to rectify the problems set in motion by his father and Sylar.

So far, we have been given no explanation for his sudden calllous attitude

toward Maya, let alone any back story on why he's so dead set on injecting himself and gaining some kind of ability.

It's not that i think he's incapable of acting out of selfishness, but rather, that we haven't been told why he would do it - especially when

he's apparently quite close to finding a way to cure Maya.

This has bugged me quite a bit as well.

Also, how did

what's his name survive for so long in Hiro's dad's coffin

Perhaps his regenerative abilities allow him to slow down his metabolism?

and why did

Claire's biological mother torture her

Well, I don't think the intention was to torture her, but to test her to see if she had the necessary fortitude to follow through in her plans. But in any case, that scene was pretty bungled, IMHO -- e.g., how was Claire's mom able to breathe when Claire, who is apparently immortal, couldn't?

The regenerative thing makes sense, though surely

he'd have run out of air in next to no time?

I thought it was pretty well established that he

can't die

. Hiro, recognizing this, just put him somewhere he couldn't do any harm.

And I hear you on the ineptitude of that scene with Claire and her mom, though her mom did

compare what she was doing to waterboarding...

but - Claire's mom

isn't ever harmed by the fire she can create, so maybe she's somehow immune to its effects in general?

(Which is reaching for sure! ;))

Ah, it's not reaching that far. Recall the episode where Claire and her biological mother first meet. (It's not hard for me to recall because I watched these all in the last two weeks!)

Claire says "I think I know how I survived that fire" and proceeds to cut herself to show her mother her ability. Her mother replies "Some family" and makes a flame with her hand, saying "That's how *I* survived it."

Mohinder... I don't know. I think he's been changed a bit as a character because he finally discovered something his father hadn't. He's finally out of the shadow of his father's work and that gives him a bit different edge. That said I don't think I'm happy with how they've dealt with either him or Maya in season 3 so far.

I have to agree with Nardis. The whole Mohinder plot is just getting ridiculous, and what's up with

Hiro stabbing Ando

?!? I'm really tired of the season's continued emphasis on getting darker and darker. It doesn't make things more intense or exciting, just more preposterous and irritating.

I came across a review of the season 3 premier that sums up my thoughts about the season so far quite nicely:

But one major problem I have with this premiere is that some of the choices made by major characters are a bit hard to swallow. Hiro and Mohinder in particular have frustrating starts to this new volume. These two characters have been through many major life altering events, yet their actions in "The Second Coming" do not seem to reflect anything they would have learned from their past experiences. Hiro's choices are especially annoying. Though he has seen many horrors, even the death of his father, he still acts like an exuberant schoolboy... except when a serious Hiro is needed to advance the plot.

All that being said, the whole bit with

Arthur Petrelli

holds some promise, I think; it feels like there's at least the potential for some resolution, that things are starting to come together.

I can't help thinking that this show - a lot of shows - would be better off if American TV started working a bit more like Latin American TV, where writers rough out an entire storyline from beginning to end before going into production. Granted, that means that they know when the show will end, but it allows for much tighter, more cohesive plotlines.

I could not agree more. I recently re-watched all five seasons of Babylon 5, which was plotted out very much in this way, and although plot and character adjustments were made to accommodate actor availability and network issues, the main show-runner/writer/producer managed to stay in touch with fans without losing track of the story he intended to tell--and the whole series works better for it.

One of the neat things about Heroes at the beginning was the very conscious way in which it imitated comic book styles...now I'm feeling as if it's falling into some of the worst things about comic books--the way the plot goes all over the place and characters get re-booted with every new issue...or maybe I'm just upset at what they're doing to my favorite, Mohinder. Boo.

Supposedly they have an idea where they're going up through 5 seasons.

I wouldn't say it's a complete mess, but I think a lot of characters are hitting wrong notes. Claire especially, and the Mohinder plotline is frustrating as all here have mentioned. I suspect that the resolution to that (and to things like the

Ando stabbing

) will be satisfying.

I feel like they're throwing too many curves. Perhaps trying to make up for season 2, but it's getting a little transparent.

The Hiro thing didn't make any sense. Also,

why didn't Sylar HEAR what was going on with his super-ears?

I think he did, because later, he was able to tell Claire what H.R.G. had told the other fellow to do to him -- and use that to increase her doubts.

The Hiro thing didn't make any sense. Also,

why didn't Sylar HEAR what was going on with his super-ears?

I think he did, because later, he was able to tell Claire what H.R.G. had told the other fellow to do to him -- and use that to increase her doubts.

These comments highlight a major problem with a character such as Sylar, whether hero or villain--by this point he's accrued so many random talents that no one can keep track of them. For example, I'm re-watching season 1--among the first talents Sylar steals is "melting metal" (maybe plastic too). Haven't seen him melt anything lately...guess he'll do it when he feels like it, or the story demands it, or a writer remembers about it.