GET MUSHY! All-time favorite love songs!

Overstreet

The theme from Twin Peaks--not a love song, per se, but one that makes me wish I was dancing close with someone.

A mysterious dwarf, perhaps?

Man, that music creeps me out. That whole show creeps me out. I love it, but I can't imagine putting the theme on a "Love Songs" mix. I'd be afraid that the person who received the mix would call the cops.

:D

Yeah, it's weird, but truth be told I've never seen Twin Peaks. The theme song is on my Pure Sounds CD, and everytime I hear it I get a vision of me and my love (whoever he may be), dancing gently to the music.

Subtlety is underrated

The theme from Twin Peaks--not a love song, per se, but one that makes me wish I was dancing close with someone.

A mysterious dwarf, perhaps?

Man, that music creeps me out. That whole show creeps me out. I love it, but I can't imagine putting the theme on a "Love Songs" mix. I'd be afraid that the person who received the mix would call the cops.

:D

Yeah, it's weird, but truth be told I've never seen Twin Peaks. The theme song is on my Pure Sounds CD, and everytime I hear it I get a vision of me and my love (whoever he may be), dancing gently to the music.

Ah, then the "mysterious dwarf" comment may not make sense. In the early episodes of Twin Peaks, Laura Palmer, the victim/heroine of the series, dances to that music with, well, a mysterious dwarf. It's actually one of the more brilliant moments I've ever seen on network TV, but it's a really creepy dance.

Here's hoping that you never have to deal with the creepy connotations, and that you'll be able to dance to it with your love, whoever he may be.

Just remembered that The Autumns released a splendid cover of this song. You can hear a short clip here.

(Their cover of "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" is also superb, though it probably doesn't exactly fit the "mushy love song" criteria.)

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Hmmm... not exactly fitting with what others have nominated but... "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin. That opening verse kills me.

I still say that "Agnes, Queen of Sorrow" by Palace Music/Bonnie Prince Billy is one of the most tragicly honest love songs I've heard.

Oh, and I recently discovered "Dear Someone" by Gillian Welch. It oozes.

And of course "Into My Arms" by Nick Cave.

ok. I'm stopping there. I'm getting carried away.

Edited by gigi

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

no one has mentioned Barry White... ::blush::

for real:

Barenaked Ladies' cover of Bruce Cockburn's "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"

David Gray's "Please Forgive Me"

Marc Cohn's "True Companion"

Ray LaMontagne's "Hold You in My Arms" and others

For those make-out sessions that are steamier than they are tastefully romantic: anything by Mazzy Star.

Well, if you're looking for tips from the wayback machine:

My favorite love song, period, is Richard and Linda Thompson's "Dimming of the Day"

That Richard Thompson song is the only one I really, really liked from Pour Down Like Silver, which I bought to try and kick start some interest in the man and his work. But do you not prefer the Aretha version of 'You send me'? Maybe it's just cos I heard Aretha's first, but to me it's in another league entirely. That piano intro, the way she goes from throaty shouting back into delicate crooning in an instant.

Anyway, my choices would be 'Oh Me, Oh my (I'm a fool for you, baby)', also the Aretha version, and 'I want you' by Dylan.

And 'She makes me wanna die' by Tricky.

Yeah yeah yeah

I've already made a nicely snarky post on this subject, but it's been sticking in my head, and rattling around, and I've just got to get this off my chest.

So, at the moment, I'd say that my favorite mushy song, or rather make it one of those peer among equals things, is

"New York City" by They Might Be Giants

You called me last night on the telephone

And I was glad to hear from you cause I was all alone

You said, its snowing, its snowing! god, I hate this weather.

Now I walk through blizzards just to get us back together

We met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show

It was on the bowery when it was time to go

We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night

I held your hand, you held mine, it was the best night of my life.

cause everyones your friend in new york city

And everything looks beautiful when youre young and pretty

The streets are paved with diamonds and theres just so much to see

But the best thing about new york city is you and me

Statue of liberty, staten island ferry, co-op city, katzs and tiffanys*

Central park, brooklyn bridge, the empire state where dylan lived**

Coney island and times square, rockefeller center

Wish I was there

You wrote me a letter just the other day

Said, springtime is coming soon so why dont you come to stay.

I packed my stuff, got on the bus, I cant believe its true

Im three days from new york city and Im three days from you

cause everyones my friend in new york city

And everything looks beautiful when youre young and pretty

The streets are paved with diamonds and theres just so much to see

But the best thing about new york city is you and me

Now I have to go off and make restitution to the OTR gods. [sob]

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

These are my favorite love songs, as immortalized on our wedding CD.

My current favorite is "Mushaboom," by Feist. The lyrics are exactly my life right now, down to the recent move and the second floor apartment with no backyard. Although, I suppose there is one big difference - we live smack in the middle of a city block, not in the country. Still, the sentiment is there. I love the line about collecting moments into a future. And the music is so whimsical.

Mushaboom by Feist

Helping the kids out of their coats

But wait the babies haven't been born

Unpacking the bags and setting up

And planting lilacs and buttercups

But in the meantime I've got it hard

Second floor living without a yard

It may be years until the day

My dreams will match up with my pay

Old dirt road

Knee deep snow

Watching the fire as we grow old

I got a man to stick it out

And make a home from a rented house

And we'll collect the moments one by one

I guess that's how the future's done

How many acres how much light

Tucked in the woods and out of sight

Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap

On a little road barely on the map

Old dirt road

Knee deep snow

Watching the fire as we grow old

Old dirt road

Rambling rose

Watching the fire as we grow well I'm sold

Give it to Mark, I already have it on a Paste CD. :)

Subtlety is underrated

• 7 years later...

Bump.

Just because.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

"I find them [love songs] odious" - Michael Stipe.

Oh, he was just being contrary I think, REM eventually began offering up sentimentality with the best of them, right? Who doesn't love a good love song? I was a child in the seventies and we owned a radio, so...yeah.

So after three or so decades of top 40, heavy metal, new wave, punk, "indie rock", r&b, hip-hop, country, folk, and now whatever it is I listen to now - I am not surprised how easily the soft rock love songs of the 70's worm through my head, I started compiling a list of them and realized hey! I can still tolerate some of these. What's more, some more of them I genuinely still love. Midnight Rocks, Air Supply, Juice Newton, Just When I Needed You Most. Please Don't Go to Islands In The Stream.  

Eventually this list made it out of my head and onto the internet:

http://open.spotify.com/user/wardcrittendon/playlist/4RhwnDaajsdtAGrBbOWQCd