Sign in to follow this  
Tony Watkins

Miscounted posts

Curious thing I just noticed. I happened to spot that my post tally was 179 earlier today. Just now I added another reply to a thread but the total still remained 179. Since this seemed odd, I thought I would check to see whether I really had made 179 or 180 posts. So searching all posts for any subject but restricting the results to just me brings up all my posts - and there's 191 of them. That is assuming that every page of results contains 25 records.

It seems the board can't count. I tried to check Peter Chattaway's total - but it was too many for the search facility and it only gave me his first 1000.

So I went to try someone who has less than 1000 posts - nardis is supposed to have 840 but again I only got the first 1000 results.

So I tried Denny Wayman - official total=524; actual total=799 - that's undercounting by around a third.

This suggests that Peter Chattaway's real post total could well be thousands more than reported. Now I want to know, which came first: Peter's surname or his propensity for posting here? :wacko:

EDIT: This post didn't get counted either!

Edited by Tony Watkins

Only posts that are added to the Film, Music, TV, Literature or Arts threads are counted. Posts to threads about Politics, About You, etc. are not included in the total.

Ahah! Er... why?

(And yeah, the big question is whether this topic gets ahemed or closed first, because there is another thread about it somewhere.)

I did look . . . honest!

(Who has well over a 1,000 posts and has a caption under his avatar to prove it.

Thanks for being gracious enough to respond to small fry like me! ;)

Here's one thread where the question has come up before. I'm sure there are others.

Ahah. I confess to not looking that hard - searching for 'posts' brings up rather a lot of results and I got a bit bored of searching for other possibilities. Now if only I'd thought to search for the word 'ticker' I'd have been there and saved myself all the bother of posting - which probably would have saved more time on balance. And now I'm wasting even more...

Edited by Tony Watkins

I think most people who join this board end up asking this question. It's a little wierd, but as Ken mentioned it seems to be to promote the mission of the board, and I'm down with that.

BUT, I swear there have been times when some of my posts in the Religion or other non-arts sections have been counted too. I've wondered at times if the board doesn't lose track of itself from time to time ;)

Wasn't there going to be a FAQ for these kinds of questions? I thought Alan was going to set one up and asked for input.....

BUT, I swear there have been times when some of my posts in the Religion or other non-arts sections have been counted too. I've wondered at times if the board doesn't lose track of itself from time to time ;)

I think my post in the science forum got counted this afternoon.

It was interesting looking down the list of heavy posters to realise that there's only a handful of 1000+ posters and that by the time you get to number 50, it's already down to 448.

A further question has occurred to me following what kenmorefield, who coincidentally is in the number 50 slot, said earlier:

Who has well over a 1,000 posts and has a caption under his avatar to prove it.

I see the caption and therefore understand that he's over 1000 posts, but the number says 448 so presumably Ken does a lot of posting in uncounted fora - in which case how did he know he'd got enough posts to change his caption? Unless he counted them in the same way I did. (Note to ken: this is not intended to imply that you're cheating! :))

A further question has occurred to me following what kenmorefield, who coincidentally is in the number 50 slot, said earlier:

Who has well over a 1,000 posts and has a caption under his avatar to prove it.

I see the caption and therefore understand that he's over 1000 posts, but the number says 448 so presumably Ken does a lot of posting in uncounted fora - in which case how did he know he'd got enough posts to change his caption? Unless he counted them in the same way I did. (Note to ken: this is not intended to imply that you're cheating! :))

Just wait six more weeks; Ken will delete all his posts and be back to zero and you'll look up some old thread (I think The Lion, Witchy Woman, and the Wardroom thread) and find lots of replies to kenmorefield but no actual posts from him. Then its really fun, and you'll be no closer to being able to change the little message under your avatar and someone will ask you the next day why didn't that substrate get ordered and you'll blame it on the Finns.

Cheers.