Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

[Decalogue] THIS MUST NOT DIE

Guest Russell Lucas

After Thanksgiving, this project needs to be revived and rejuvenated. I know that we'll need to make allowances for, among other things, holiday schedules, but this shouldn't end with a whimper. It's too valuable.

I agree completely, Russell. I finally have the VHS of part IV and plan to watch it tomorrow night. As long as the copies are available at the library, I will try to keep up from here on out.

I am with you guys. I just finished Episode Six. My eyes well with a tear every time I think about it . It has been the most beautiful thus far but I still need time to let my mind take it all in.

Guest Russell Lucas

Asher, we'll start an Episode VI thread when I get back home after Thanksgiving holidays.

I applaud you guys for sticking with this. It's a fantastic journey. I'd be right there with you if I hadn't loaned my copies out several months ago. If I get them back anytime soon, I'll play catch-up and join in.

Guest Russell Lucas

It would be great if you threw in your two cents, Jeffrey. The threads will stay open indefinitely, and I'll always love an excuse to rewatch and revisit these.

I'm still waiting for the Chicago crowd to kick in, too.

Asher, as much as you enjoyed Decalogue: Six, I'd highly recommend A Short Film About Love, which was Kieslowski's re-edit of the film into a feature-length movie. He did the same for Decalogue: Five as well, but the differences between Six and Love are more considerable. In many ways, Love has more of a dramatic arc and emphasizes more redemptive aspects to the story.

If anyone has a well-stocked video store in their neighborhood, comparing the two films can be a fascinating endeavor. A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love were both recently released on DVD in the UK, too:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5888

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5887

I'll try to stay with these discussions--I agree that they're inspired. Keep it up!

Yeah, I raised the possibility of comparing Dekalogs V and VI to the two Short Films in another thread a few weeks ago, but the idea didn't seem to have any takers.

FWIW, I know Videomatica here in Vancouver has both films on VHS, but for all I know, these may be transfers from PAL tapes; I don't know how readily available they would be in a North American format.

I'm still waiting for the Chicago crowd to kick in, too.

Well, Ash has at least given us a good start.

Man, i really wish i had time to re-watch and join in the discussion. It would be my third time watching The Decalogue straight thru. It's just bad timing at this point, as i have a few other viewing projects on the table... I have been lurking here and there, though, and i find the comments valuable toward a hopeful third viewing around Christmastime.

-s.

I am new to this board. I have seen Dec. I. And Rouge, Bleu, and aso Tykwer's making of "Heaven". Are you goiing to continue the discussions ? ? I will try to catch up soon.

Guest Russell Lucas

Welcome. Glad to have you!

You better believe we're going to continue these!

Incidentally, my wife picked up a book about Kieslowski for me for Christmas, and it has some intriguing insights concerning Dekalog. I'll pitch them in where appropriate. And you've hit on a good idea there-- perhaps when we're done with the series we should move on to how these themes and other spiritual concerns are reflected in the Three Colors films.

First things first, though. Again, glad you're here.

Can we make Dec 9 & 10 threads now?

I finished it yesterday. As the old saying goes, "save the best for last", KK comes up with his best yet in 10.

Funny how everything in here looks forward to Veronique and the Colors trilogy. The young singer babe in Dec 9 mentions having a weak heart a la Veronika in Double Life. The father-daughter relationship in 4 kinda layed the roots down for something that would continue (albeit in a perfectly platonic way) for Red. There's snatches of Blue everywhere. And 10 is very much White-lite (minus the love plot but with the exact same male cast)...

Can somebody nail down Blue more concretely than I can? I remember saying at one point "this is the music/character relationship in Blue" but now I can't remember which episode -- maybe 5???