Bjork

Josh Hurst

A friend recently sent me a Bjork CD. My first. I'm curious to hear what some of you folks think of this lady.

Personally, I'm not finding anything to sink my teeth into in the songwriting department, but the music is gorgeous. Radiohead's electronica sounds bleak, nightmarish, but Bjork makes the genre sound inviting, comforting. And that's no small feat.

And the voice... wow. What a vocal contortionist she is. It's an acquired taste, I guess, but I think she's got quite an impressive set of pipes.

Anyone else like her? Dislike her? Have a favorite Bjork album?

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I feel the same way you do... I love Bjork's voice and I REALLY love the way she mixes electronica with live strings for a "warm" sound, but her lyrics and songwriting are just too alienating. I can't figure her out. So I like the IDEA of Bjork, but her music just doesn't make a lasting impact on me.

I haven't heard her last couple of records, but her album POST (it had a couple of hits on it, including the gorgeous "Hyperballad") is the most user-friendly and accessible of the albums I've heard. Her first US album (DEBUT) also has some good songs, like "Human Behavior."

Vespertine is unearthly. Obviously her greatest stuff even from a first listen that is apparent.

Bjork is the first true icon of the information age. Ever since the Sugarcubes broke up she has been a maven of all things post-punk and has developed such a virtual narrative through the 90's that her legacy is more technological than it is aesthetic. It might not be your scene now, but it will be your children's scene in a decade.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

The only one I remember of hers was "It's oh so quiet". Not in her usual style, I would guess. "Gorgeous" is the word.

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

Some of you might dig Tujiko Noriko. Her vocal style is very similar to Bjork's, all girlish coos and yelps (but in Japanese, mind you), but her music is much more abstract, consisting of deep, layered sound collages and glitchy rhythms.

You can download a couple full-length tracks here and read my review here.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Vespertine is unearthly. Obviously her greatest stuff even from a first listen that is apparent.

Aaaah. Now here we fully agree on something. Vespertine is by far the best Bjork one can ever find, set apart from every recording she has made before and resonating with the soul in a greater way too. Here, the IDEA that you loved about Bjork, becomes Bjork, full on. Captivating, entrancing and mesmerizing lullabies that soothe the soul and prepare you for the night ahead. Better than a chai latte.

Bjork is the first true icon of the information age. Ever since the Sugarcubes broke up she has been a maven of all things post-punk and has developed such a virtual narrative through the 90's that her legacy is more technological than it is aesthetic. It might not be your scene now, but it will be your children's scene in a decade.

That is a great statement.

But man, do i miss the Sugarcubes. and i just wonder what they would have sounded like had they made it to the post-grunge era.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.