Sign in to follow this  
ThePersistanceOfWaffles

Favourite Halloween Viewing?

I can't be the only one who needs to watch a film to get into the Halloween spirit. (And I can't be the only one who loves to get into the Halloween spirit.)

I tend to think spooky and fun--or just plain funny-- films capture the true mood of Halloween better than horror does, and so my preferences tend to run toward the silly stuff like Young Frankenstein, Army of Darkness, or Nightmare Before Christmas. And even though it's not film, I'm extremely fond of the early "Treehouse of Horror" Simpsons episodes. (Probably a little too fond--I'm pretty sure I can quote the entire paordy of The Shining, and I've never even seen The Shining.)

What are your own Halloween favorites? Does anyone have any traditions?

(Oh, and to take pre-emptive anti-"ahem" action: I'm aware of the existance of this thread, but I think my question is far enough removed that I can start a new thread.)

I used to do Halloween movie marathons where I'd show old, cheesy films like the original Little Shop Of Horrors, Plan 9 From Outer Space, etc. I'd usually throw in a "serious" film like The Innocents or The Haunting, but since a lot of church folks came, I'd try to stick to the "fun" stuff.

Other good ones might be Shaun Of The Dead, Evil Dead 2, Bubba Ho-Tep, Versus (think over-the-top gory zombie film a la Evil Dead 2 with lots of Matrix-y guns, explosions, and costumes), and Encounters Of The Spooky Kind (cheesy zombie kung-fu film from the 70s).

I know this is the "Film" area, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was: "Fat Albert's Halloween." Loved, loved, loved it, even though it disappeared from the airwaves as soon as I decided, in junior high, that it had become an all-time favorite.

In general, I like horror films, but I find that the horror films I especially choose to watch around Halloween are the hokey ones. Somehow, the more refined, more legitimately frightening films just don't quite cut it. Around Halloween, the flicks I crave are those that have the same kind of vibe as a Halloween costume store: lots of convention and enjoyable silliness.

So over the past few weeks, it's been the Corman Poe flicks (at least the ones available on Netflix streaming, which, incidentally, are the best of 'em: PIT AND THE PENDULUM, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, and TOMB OF LIGEIA) and some Hammer-style horror (CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE SKULL, and one of the more modern take-offs on Hammer, THE NINTH GATE). I may get Coppola's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA in there, too; the Halloween season is about the only time of year where it seems anything other than terrible.

Edited by Ryan H.

I usually watch nothing but horror movies the last few weeks of October. There's a repertory theater near me doing a Vincent Price retrospective this year. They are showing some of the Poe/Corman ones and an interactive showing of The Tingler on Halloween. I hope to catch at least one of those. Like Ryan, I tend to prefer the more "fun" horror films around Halloween.

Thanks for dragging this thread from the grave, Ryan.

I'm a fan of John Carpenter's movies year-round, but I dig out The Fog and The Thing this time of year. I have also hosted a showing of Night of the Living Dead (filmed a few miles away!) at a local coffee shop the past few years, so that's always a favorite. I'm thinking of having a scary movie / scary board game night in a weekend or too, so I might pull some of these out. Maybe some of the Corman/Hammer ones you mentioned, Ryan...I've been meaning to watch those for years.

Carpenter does seem to do very well around Halloween, too. I'm less interested in watching something like THE THING, as great as it is, at this time of year, but Halloween just doesn't feel like Halloween without a viewing of HALLOWEEN.

And definitely check out the Corman Poe films! They're terrific. I'm still quite sad that one of them didn't end up on our horror film list (THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH being the obvious choice).

And definitely check out the Corman Poe films! They're terrific. I'm still quite sad that one of them didn't end up on our horror film list (THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH being the obvious choice).

I tried watching USHER at this time last year, and owing to major fatigue and multiple tries over a couple of late nights, just could not summon the will to finish it. But you've convinced me to try again. I'll have coffee this time.

ETA: The most vivid and terrifying Halloween viewing I've ever had involved being five years old and watching THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939). After seeing the hand coming out of that wall, I could not sleep for a week. Years later I found out it was a comedy.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

I tried watching USHER at this time last year, and owing to major fatigue and multiple tries over a couple of late nights, just could not summon the will to finish it. But you've convinced me to try again. I'll have coffee this time.

Go with something other than USHER, I'd say. USHER isn't the most energetic of the Poe films. Try MASQUE or LIGEIA.

Carpenter does seem to do very well around Halloween, too. I'm less interested in watching something like THE THING, as great as it is, at this time of year, but Halloween just doesn't feel like Halloween without a viewing of HALLOWEEN.

Every Halloween, I watch Halloween, Halloween 2 and H20. They kind of round the story out nicely.

It took a few years of viewing lighter movies to get a tough enough skin for this kind of movie but recently watched GREEN ROOM. I actually liked it even though the graphic violence was significant. Others seen within the last month, good for Halloween season: A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, UNDER THE SHADOW, THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, and ALICE, last one by Czech animator Jan Svankmajer.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Mike. My appreciation of the horror genre has grown significantly over the past few years, and now I find myself seeking out new, unseen-by-me horror films, particularly classics. This year, I rewatched The Shining in the shortened European version, which I may like more than the longer US version. I also watched Lynch's Eraserhead, Ken Russell's The Devils, Argento's Deep Red, and Jack Clayton's The Innocents, all first-time viewings for me, and all really worth watching (even though I found Deep Red to be quite dated). So, it's been quite a month.