Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wright

"Past the Popcorn" Debuts at Gospelcom

I'm happy to announce that Past the Popcorn, a new movie review site that my wife Jenn and I put together, has debuted this morning at Gospelcom. As a Gospelcom partner, PTP will be a featured resource for the online Christian community.

Our lead stories are reviews of Conversations with God and Deliver Us From Evil, each accompanied by interviews.

We've also populated the website with a couple of months worth of reviews we published elsewhere but which were written with PTP in mind, courtesy of Jeffrey Overstreet and David Bruce.

We hope that our new approach adds something worthwhile to the larger discussion about faith and film. Comments and critique are most welcome.

Special thanks to MLeary and the thread on "Christian Film Cricitism" for helping crystallize some thinking as we were prepping the new site.

Congratulations, Greg! I hope this proves to be more rewarding and less, um, complicated than your previous review headquarters...

I look forward to including this in my weekly Film Forum sweep.

Congratulations, Greg! I hope this proves to be more rewarding and less, um, complicated than your previous review headquarters...

Well, it's certainly nice having brand new tools available to do the work, and that cuts down on "complications" immensely!

Thanks.

Past the Popcorn will be looking for a new "home" soon. If anyone's got a lead on a site that's looking for a body of film reviews to spice up their content, please direct them my way!

Actually, as of today, we've ceased publication. In talking through options for relocating and/or reformulating our vision for PtP, Jenn and I have decided that's it's simply time to wrap it up and pack it in.

Ah, well.

You and Jenn poured a lot of work and passion into that project, Greg.

I for one will miss it. And thanks for your passion. I hope we see your own writing on film show up again elsewhere soon.

I hope we see your own writing on film show up again elsewhere soon.

Thanks, Jeff. It was a lot of fun being able to exactly what we wanted to do with reviewing. But we really did end up feeling a little bit held hostage by the ongoing Opening Day saga.

You know, it occurred to me yesterday that in fostering an overweening commitment to delivering the "What Happens Next" fix to the moviegoing public, Hollywood's process of delivery has itself become a "What Happens Next" metaphor -- and the moviegoing public is as addicted to the process as it is the movies themselves.

I just signed a contract today with Christian Cinema to move PtP to their venue. They'll be hosting, promoting, and syndicating ptpopcorn.com's content in exchange for my services as a weekly columnist. I'll be focusing primarily on DVD releases, but Jeff Walls is going to come back on board for theatrical releases.

We'll actually be getting better exposure and traffic with CC than we did with Gospelcom.

So PtP is back, doing exactly what we had been doing, but as a strictly two-man show. (Though I imagine Jeff will be doing five or six reviews a week anyway!) New content will start showing up in a couple of weeks.

As of December, Past the Popcorn will be using its registered URL, ptpopcorn.com. past-the-popcorn.gospelcom.net will redirect.