Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Book Stacks

I know. I tend to not like children's books that adults may "get" or enjoy more than children, but those two Klassen books are genius. I love how those two books respect the food chain, in contrast to most of the rest of the animal-personification genre. Plus, while you'd think THIS IS NOT MY HAT would just be a rehash, it's actually funnier than its predecessor. The disconnect between the narration and the action in the pictures never fails to get laughs out of my kid.

My Christmas books:

From my mother-in-law, bless her heart: Playing With Purpose: Tim Tebow, a paperback with a cover that exclaims "Game Changer: The Trade to the New York Jets."

I guess that didn't really work out for ol' Tim.

From my dad: Raising a Modern-Day Knight, A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood. I'm sure this one will go over like gangbusters in these parts. smile.png I'm OK with books like this; I do plan to finish reading it. But I notice it was written in 1997, around the time of the Promise Keepers craze, and I already find myself talking back to the book in the early chapters. "Why is the life of a medieval knight the model for modern-day masculinity, rather than the life of Christ?"

Edited by Christian

My younger sister gave me a pocket-sized collection of Herman Melville's poetry, and from the notes I've learned a rather frightening fact: Melville wrote an epic poem that's about the same size as Moby-Dick, half again as long as the Divine Comedy.

Small book stack this year, since I'm in Thailand with family and don't want to carry a lot back in our suitcase, but I got THE WIND-UP BIRD CHRONICLE by Haruki Murakami, and THE PERPETUAL RACE OF ACHILLES & THE TORTOISE by Jorge Luis Borges (whose FICCIONES I would rank among my favourite books of all time).

After spending my gift money on a Nook cover and a few CDs, my book-purchasing plans were in tatters. But I put the $2.50 balance toward a Nook book purchase of Marilynne Robinson's When I Was a Child I Read Books.

Does one virtual book a "stack" make?

EDIT: Oh, hey, I forgot that I used an online credit to buy one book in paper and ink. I'm hoping Wendell Berry and the Cultivation of the Christian Life will be worthwhile.

Awww, shucks. After all that, I forgot I wanted that newish book on Brian De Palma! But that $40 price tag for a paperback ... ouch!

Edited by Christian

Apart from the books we gave the kids, I bought my wife Behind the Beautiful Forevers, which she blew through quickly and loved. I rec'd an amazon gift card from my in-laws, which I converted into the BFI Film Classics volume on Haneke's Cache, a trade collection of Captain America, the DC Showcase volume of Weird War Tales and Hanna Pylvainen's We Sinners, which I intend to read this weekend.

My dad's always tough to shop for, but he likes John Grisham books, so I figured I'd find him a legal thriller for Christmas. I went for Defending Jacob by William Landay based on the book jacket and positive reader reviews. He read it while vacationing and confided to me last night that the bleakness of it made him angrier than any book ever has, and he contemplated throwing it in the ocean several times.

Russ' dad's reaction to his son's gift is one of the great gift-reaction stories.

I remember asking my dad if he'd ever read a Paul Auster book I'd given him. It has a dog on the front cover, and my dad likes dogs, so I thought he might ... no, he didn't.

Biggest hit from the kids' book stacks was definitely Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, which my two-year-old has already mostly memorized. She gets a ridiculously-cute, serious expression on her face every time the little letters fall out of the coconut tree. "Oh no!" But her favorite page is when the capital letters hug the lowercase letters, because . . . well . . . my daughter is a hugger and she takes every opportunity to celebrate hugging.

(to Christian)

Yeah, I thought so, too. Apparently he kept getting visibly angry by the increasingly dark tone, and several times my stepmother told him to just stop reading it. He soldiered on, though, partly out of a hope that it would get better and out of some duty to finish it since I'd given it to him with the attached praise of a bunch of people on amazon who I've never met but who raved about the book. I guess those John Grisham books never end with a mom driving her car at a high rate of speed into a piece of infrastructure to kill herself and the son she helped to beat a murder charge when she learns he was guilty.

(to Darren)

"Chicka chicka boom boom. Will there be enough room?"

Someday when I'm consigned to a bed somewhere, these things will remain embedded in my gray matter.

Wow, I've never noticed this thread until now.  Not a stack this year, per se, but I've made it a tradition to send my niece books at Christmas.  Two years ago it was quite a collection.  I passed onto her our family's Fireside Editions Dickens collection, which had originally been purchased for her great-great-grandmother in 1882.

Last year I it was a bit more more modest.  I ended up sending her The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles: Art & Design.

This year I'm picking up from last year with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles II: Creatures and Characters, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Chronicles: Art and Design (say what you will about the films, but these books are fabulous).

The Melancholy of Resistance by László Krasznahorkai (the novel Werckmeister Harmonies is based on)

Sky Saw by Blake Butler

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst

The Wes Anderson Collection by Matt Zoller Seitz

I've only paged through the Anderson book, but it looks terrific.

THE WES ANDERSON COLLECTION by MZS

THE MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI by J. W. Rinzler

THE NARNIAN by Alan Jacobs

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS by George R. R. Martin

We gave our kids several sticker books this year, as well as two Brian Selznick books and several Usborne books. (Does anyone else like Usborne books? Our kids have read several and have loved most of them.)

No books for me today, but I still have some gifts from relatives to open. Not that I need any more books, mind you.