Blogging

MattPage

There's also something new called Terapad, which lets you use a Paypal account to sell things. I thought that was pretty cool, although I haven't read too much about it yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been puttering along with my ISP's free website/blogging tools, which are primitive, but reasonably effective:

http://home.earthlink.net/~beth_rambo/

However, it seems our ISP is changing and I'm going to have to join the serious blogging world. I've seen several systems mentioned here--blogger, wordpress, typepad, etc. What do you use, and why?

I guess I should say that we're already paying more than enough for ISP service. Any blogging system I'm going to use has got to be free.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is import my archived posts to the new system. Any advice?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

If someone were starting a new blog, I'd recommend going with WordPress rather than BlogSpot. It strikes me as more flexible than BlogSpot. The learning curve might be a little steeper, but I think it's more viable for the long haul.

However, there are two versions of WordPress. WordPress.Com is much like BlogSpot in that it's a free "hosted" solution. In other words, your blog is hosted on WordPress' servers, and your site's address is, by default, something like http://myblog.wordpress.com/. OTOH, WordPress.Org is a version of WordPress that you can download and install on your own server. This gives you a lot more flexibility and control.

In the past, I've also worked with Movable Type, but nowadays, I'd go with WordPress. There are certain technical limitations to Movable Type that have always frustrated me, and are not present in WordPress.

But ultimately, my heart belongs to ExpressionEngine. Mind you, compared to something like BlogSpot, ExpressionEngine's learning curve is very steep. However, it's one of the most powerful on-line publishing platforms out there that doesn't cost thousands, and it has a very strong developer's community, which is essential to the platform growing and remaining viable over the years.

Whatever the case, I'd recommend moving away from a hosted service like BlogSpot. Doing so will give you a lot more flexibility in the long run.

Here's a pretty decent, though slightly out-of-date, chart comparing the features of the various blogging platforms out there.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experience and words of wisdom. I've been fiddling around with GooglePages for a while, but just can't make my mind up to it. I'd still have to link to another site for blogging--probably Blogger, since it's under Google's wing now.

In the end, this is what I came up with. There's still work to be done, but I like that fact that I can add static "pages" behind the blog. I'll have to physically import my old blog postings--if I decide to do that. I've just added the past few months on a single page at this point.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 10 months later...

No point in creating a whole new thread just to discuss a possible glitch in Blogger.

Since last night, I have been trying to upload photos of various sorts (.png, .jpg, .bmp) and none of them have worked, so a post that I wrote last night is on indefinite hold until the system lets me import those images. And yet, when I wrote ANOTHER blog post -- a quickie on the new Indiana Jones poster -- Blogger had no trouble importing the one image. What gives? Has anybody else been having problems of that sort with Blogger lately?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 6 months later...
EE does seem pretty amazing, Opus. But it needs to be said that it's MUCH more than a blogging engine; A&F could run on it with it breaking a sweat (an idea I'd explore if I had the time); huge sites like iLounge use it.

I've made no effort to hide my love for EE. However, for a simple blog, it might be overkill -- WordPress is probably the better option (though you can always look at the free "Core" version, which doesn't contain a lot of the more advanced features). EE really is much more than a blogging engine -- it's a full-on CMS (like Drupal or Joomla) that can handle everything from blogs to galleries to discussion forums to shopping carts, and so on.

That being said, I don't know if I'd move A&F to EE. EE does have a discussion forum module, but it's not nearly as robust as IP.Board.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a rubbish blogger. I blog so infrequently I don't tell people where it is anymore. But I keep thinking I must do it more because I think it's a great thing.

The UK Evangelical Alliance recently held a day for Christian bloggers to discuss the whole thing. One of the outcomes was a 'ten commandments of blogging' which you guys might be interested in:

Based loosely on the real Ten Commandments from the Old Testament, the revamped version for guidance in online communication emerged from an event reflecting on the ethics of today

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

I read about this a few days after it happened (it was mentioned in The Times I think) but found it all rather laughable. Not the commandments so much as the conference. Several days after the event and not one of the attendees had written it up, nor was there a page anywhere on the EA's website about it. Seemed all a bit odd really.

Matt

I read about this a few days after it happened (it was mentioned in The Times I think) but found it all rather laughable. Not the commandments so much as the conference. Several days after the event and not one of the attendees had written it up, nor was there a page anywhere on the EA's website about it. Seemed all a bit odd really.

Matt

:D That's funny. Some of these kinds of days can be a lot of talk without much practical outcome, but I thought the 'commandments' were quite a good code of conduct for blogging - and for discussion forums like this one.

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk