Films About Divorce

opus

A lady from my church is asking for a list of films about divorce for a project she's doing at school. The only catch is that they have to have been made between 1960 and 1980.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Hmmmm... not with divorce as it's main subject but definitely a dominant theme: Manhattan

Also, Scenes From A Marriage

Edited by gigi

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Francois Truffaut's five Antoine Doinel films (last one released in 1979, I believe) deal in part with issues of divorce - they're available for rent or purchase in a splendid Criterion set. Highly, highly recommended.

Edited by Andrew

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Woody Allen's Play it Again, Sam. Also, Divorce, American Style, Parent Trap.

So many classic Disney films feature children from broken homes, but I am not sure if any of those are the result of divorce.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Thanks everyone. I've passed on your responses, but if there are more, please do share.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Irreconcilable Differences--apparently not available on DVD, but sometimes turns up on TV.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)