Sign in to follow this  
techne

What do you subscribe to?

...However, if you count the magazines I bum off of family members when visiting home, you could add

Image Journal

Books and Culture

PC Magazine

Christian Musician

Acoustic Guitar

CCM magazine

Christianity Today

Reader's Digest

Time

US News

Gilbert Magazine

Relevant.

Hmmmm... that's interesting. American magazine reading habits seriously differ from our own. This isn't to say that we don't have a *ahem* vibrant magazine culture - of course retailers make the most of every possible niche market existing (and I'm sure some retailers really do) however I don't know anyone other than me that subscribes. We're definitely a 'ooh that looks interesting' whilst you're queueing at the local spar kinda culture. I'm sure there's data somewhere that backs this.

However, as for Americans, the tradition of nabbing other people's magazines goes back to the publication of "America's favourite magazine" Life. At it's peak, it sold 8 million copies weekly and on average 4 people read each copy. Nuts, don't you think? What's crazier is that it was losing money hand over fist for this precise reason. It wasn't able to sustain it's print runs as they actually lost money with subscriptions (I'm pretty sure that the majority of revenue with US mags was and continues to be made on the ads, hence their cheap as chips cover prices, though I still have to totally 100% verify this.) It actually stopped publication as 2 years after this 8 million peak.

*yawn*

sorry. going off onto dissertation territory and as i'm in the middle of yet another late night writing session i got carried away with the opportunity to procrastinate in a semi-purposeful manner.

I subscribe to one--I'm fairly hesitant to actually say what it is. No, I'm not going to say what it is; it's an entertainment magazine that's gone downhill 400% since its inception a few years ago. It's basically Maxim-lite now. My subscription is almost up. I can't wait.

If I had my druthers, though, I'd subscribe to Books & Culture, Pages, Poets & Writers, and Paste. Maybe someday.

At it's peak, i[Life] sold 8 million copies weekly and on average 4 people read each copy. Nuts, don't you think? What's crazier is that it was losing money hand over fist for this precise reason. It wasn't able to sustain it's print runs as they actually lost money with subscriptions (I'm pretty sure that the majority of revenue with US mags was and continues to be made on the ads, hence their cheap as chips cover prices, though I still have to totally 100% verify this.) It actually stopped publication as 2 years after this 8 million peak.

Oh yes. When I was in the magazine business, we paid for all the expenses of magazine production, including all salaries, through the ads. The magazine subscriptions and the stand sales were pure profit. If you aren't paying for all of your expenses with advertisements, then the magazine is probably losing vast amounts of money.

As an editor, one of my jobs was to locate or create editorial at the last minute in order to add content in case we sold additional 16 pages of ads in the final day(s) of production. On several occasions, I had to create 1,000 to 1,600 words articles/interest pieces in less than 24 hours to make our deadlines.

At it's peak, i[Life] sold 8 million copies weekly and on average 4 people read each copy. Nuts, don't you think? What's crazier is that it was losing money hand over fist for this precise reason. It wasn't able to sustain it's print runs as they actually lost money with subscriptions

Fretboard Journal is printed in CHINA! Think of that! I's a quarterly with a pretty hefty subscription price, and they use archive-quality paper, but I was shocked to learn that they actually save enough on printing costs to make it worthwhile to print overseas.

The New Yorker

National Geographic (only to validate a Publisher's Clearing House entry 8O )

Image Journal

Disc Golf World News

Sherry gets Runner's World

ESOPUS

Paste

ARTnews

Border Crossings

Canadian Art

Lapham's Quarterly

CIVA SEEN (?)

occasional pick-ups:

geez

HOW

the Believer

Actively (As in I pay for them)

Entertainment Weekly

Creative Screenwriting

Game Informer

Didn't Pay For It Intentionally:

Us Weekly-I had a subscription to Premier Magazine-when they closed their doors, the company replaced it with US Weekly. The subscription never ran out.

Don't Really Have Any Idea how These Started Arriving at My Doorstep, but I didn't order them:

Better Homes and Garden

Maxim

(both appear to be gift subscriptions, but noone came foreward to take credit)

Poets and Writers

Glimmer Train

Relief

Books and Culture