King Kong

Overstreet

Many, many actors are pretty incompetent on camera without a script.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a cruel Josh Hartnett jibe just waiting to be made but I'm far, far too much of a gentleman for it... smile.gif

Seriously, though, you're absolutley right. I'm always amazed at how, well, boring Harrison Ford is whenever he gives an interview even when he's talking about Star Wars and Indy or some of his other charasmatic, lively characters.

Phil.

Edited by Shantih

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

My remark about Watts was meant in jest. But it is always interesting to catch actors on camera when they're not expecting that there's an audience on the other end of that camera.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Seriously, though, you're absolutley right. I'm always amazed at how, well, boring Harrison Ford is whenever he gives an interview even when he's talking about Star Wars and Indy or some of his other charasmatic, lively characters.

Huh. I've always found Ford thoughtful and engaging, in a low-key way. I love some of his withering responses to thoughtless comments or questions. He has a way of looking at the interviewer like they're an idiot.

I remember seeing him being interviewed on the set of Air Force One, where they had a 747 fusilage on hydraulic lifts so they could tip it around, and the interviewer was gushing, "Wow, this is a really big set, isn't it? I've never seen anything like it, have you?" You could easily imagine someone who wasn't paying attention just kind of go "Yeah, it's really big" or something. But Ford gave her The Look and said, "Hey, I was Indiana Jones. Big sets aren't exactly something new for me."

Another time, I remember Oprah asking him about his Hollywood outsider image: "A lot of people think of you as a regular guy, not a movie star. Do you see yourself as a regular guy?" Once again, we've all heard stars take such questions as an opportunity to talk about how normal they are, and how being rich and famous hasn't changed who they are inside, and so on. Ford's response, again with The Look, was something like, "Well, no, I don't think of myself as a regular guy, I think of myself as an extraordinarily lucky guy. Very few people have the kind of freedom and opportunities that I have."

And of course we all know the story about the executive who disparaged Ford for his lack of "star quality" after a walk-on role as a bellhop in his first film. "In Tony Curtis's first film," the exec said, "he played a grocery clerk, yet you took one look at that guy and you knew -- he was a movie star." And of course Ford's reply was: "I thought you were supposed to think he was a grocery clerk." That's not an interview situation of course, but it's the same principle at work.

Of course, that was back when I liked Harrison Ford.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Huh. I've always found Ford thoughtful and engaging, in a low-key way. I love some of his withering responses to thoughtless comments or questions. He has a way of looking at the interviewer like they're an idiot.

Perhaps it's just the more in depth stuff he has trouble with, then. I've seen too many documentaries screech to a halt whenever he starts explaining a character's motivation, or he wheels out that "You can type this s**t, George, but you sure can't say it" quote for the upteenth time.

Anyho, I'm pretty confident for Naomi Watts in Kong. I still have reservations about Jack Black, though.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Nicole Kidman is another who doesn't seem comfortable on camera without a script. I've seen her several times on Letterman and Leno, and unless she's talking specifically about her current project, she seems unable to keep up her end of the conversation. I noticed this too in some behind the scenes moments from Moulin Rouge!, where John Leguizamo and Ewan McGregor are trying to ad-lib some moments, and Nicole looks like a deer caught in the headlights when they attempt to throw something her way.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

A great example of this is Angie Harmon, who came across on L&O as a smart, tough-as-nails woman, and on Leno as an airhead.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 7 months later...

This is more related to the original King Kong movie:

Warner Bros. Studios and HP breathe new life into classic motion pictures

This is the interesting part:

Warner Bros. Studios and HP also announced that they have teamed to restore the 1933 classic motion picture "King Kong." One of the American Film Institute's 100 most beloved films and named to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress, the original camera negative of "King Kong" has long been destroyed, leaving only elements and prints that have been deteriorating over the years.

Warner Bros. Studios has brought the best elements and prints from all over the world and has scanned them into a 4K digital file. Using HP's "dirt and scratch" technology, which was developed by HP Labs, the 72-year-old classic will be digitally restored to its 1933 brilliance. A new camera negative as well as new archival elements will be created so that the film will be saved for generations to come. This new, restored version of "King Kong," as it was originally released, will be screened theatrically and broadcast on television, as well as released on Warner Home Video.

HP has also invented a new film restoration process for Cinerama films that eliminates the "seams" visible from the old three panel Cinerama process as well as corrects the distortions in perspective that were inherent in the change from Cinerama's curved screen to a flat one. Tests have already begun on the classic MGM 1962 film "How The West Was Won," now part of the vast Warner Bros. Studios library.

OK, I'm intrigued. If they can get this right, it's going to be a fantastic DVD release later this year.

Wow. That'll be amazing to see.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely more excited now. I thought the trailer was great, and will definitely get people excited.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The trailer was...awesome.

Denham: "Scream, Ann! Scream!"

Ann: "Aieeeeeee!"

from the island: Roooooooaaaaaaar!

Denham: "Morty, get the camera."

FWIW, I don't know, myself. It seems a little too Lord of the Rings-ish -- the huge sweeping shots across the CGI landscape, the towering walls, the hunched-over Gollum-ish people, etc. After four years of other filmmakers ripping off Jackson's style, this feels to me just a little like Jackson ripping off himself.

On the other hand, since we are overdue for another Jurassic Park movie (the first three came out at four-year intervals, in 1993, 1997 and 2001), the dinosaur footage here will do, I think. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Dinosaurs are almost always w00t.gif

Even in mediocre films like Disney's Dinosaur.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Anders wrote:

: Even in mediocre films like Disney's Dinosaur.

Lord, how I hated that movie. But I loved the first five minutes. Fortunately, the entire opening sequence was turned into a trailer, which is now on the DVD for Disney's Tarzan. And since I have that DVD, I don't need the Dinosaur DVD.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

So Jeffrey, when the DVD of classic Kong comes out, will you finally see it?