Sign in to follow this  
Sundered

Stereotypes of Christianity...

Inherit the Wind doesn't claim to be a historical depiction of the Scopes Monkey Trial, and it's a pretty loose representation (I remember reading that Miller wanted to say more about McCarthyism than the trial itself). And if I recall my history class correctly, we don't have much concrete information on the Salem Witch Trials, so virtually all of The Crucible is fiction.

And in both of these cases, I think, Arthur Miller's perception of the world comes through clearly.

Edited by Sundered

I reason, Earth is short -

And Anguish - absolute -

And many hurt,

But, what of that?

Sundered wrote:

: Inherit the Wind doesn't claim to be a historical depiction of the Scopes Monkey Trial, and it's a pretty

: loose representation (I remember reading that Miller wanted to say more about McCarthyism than

: the trial itself). And if I recall my history class correctly, we don't have much concrete information on

: the Salem Witch Trials, so virtually all of The Crucible is fiction.

: And in both of these cases, I think, Arthur Miller's perception of the world comes through clearly.

Inherit the Wind was actually written by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee, not by Miller. But yes, both of these plays distort the historical facts and arguably turn their Christian characters into mere stereotypes.

See also my reviews of Contact and Amistad (both 1997); both films replace the positive Christian characters in the source materials (whether historical or fictitious) with negative stereotypes and brand-new characters who represent "safer" forms of Christianity.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the stereotype of the bigoted, hypocritical Christian.

Stereotype??? That's was supposed to be a stereotype? Doh! I missed that line! OK. Starting over.

Joe

natureofthebeat.svbtle.com

I would add a scene from WHERE THE HEART IS.

In my review I wrote:

A glaring weakness within the film is the absence of authentic Christian community. This is all the more obvious because its setting of Oklahoma is in the heart of the Bible belt. Though the vast majority of Oklahomans go to church several times a week, no one in this film ever darkens the doors of a sanctuary. In addition to this omission of a positive religious image, there is a stereotypic insult of Christianity by the inclusion of a

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

The scene with the evangelical family in I Heart Huckabees would probably work for you, though I have met some Christians who approximate that stereotype.

Edited by yank_eh

Does The Big Kahuna count as a negative Christian stereotype?

What about Borat?

Is Ned Flanders a negative Christian stereotype?

Passion of Joan of Arc?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I appear to have missed getting it free by a day, but this New York Times Books article takes on just this question in regards to popular literature.

That's just how eye roll.

I knew I could count on you! These choices are golden. Btw, my professor was talking quite a bit about archetypes when she explained the assignment. She correctly assumed, however, that most of the students would opt for the simpler paper on clich

I reason, Earth is short -

And Anguish - absolute -

And many hurt,

But, what of that?

And dunno why I thought Arthur Miller wrote Inherit the Wind. Weird.

Probably because he wrote The Crucible.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

On 11/18/2006 at 5:34 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Sundered wrote:

: Inherit the Wind doesn't claim to be a historical depiction of the Scopes Monkey Trial, and it's a pretty

: loose representation (I remember reading that Miller wanted to say more about McCarthyism than

: the trial itself). And if I recall my history class correctly, we don't have much concrete information on

: the Salem Witch Trials, so virtually all of The Crucible is fiction.

: And in both of these cases, I think, Arthur Miller's perception of the world comes through clearly.

Inherit the Wind was actually written by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee, not by Miller. But yes, both of these plays distort the historical facts and arguably turn their Christian characters into mere stereotypes.

See also my reviews of Contact and Amistad (both 1997); both films replace the positive Christian characters in the source materials (whether historical or fictitious) with negative stereotypes and brand-new characters who represent "safer" forms of Christianity.

I was listening to Alan Dershowitz's "Modern Library" lectures on CD about trials that shaped America, and I did not know that the textbook that Scopes used was a "Civic Biology" textbook that used evolution to promote Eugenics and drew heavily on Darwin to justify the supremacy of the white race: https://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/scopes/id/125/

FWIW, Dershowitz (who claimed to be a fan of the film) said that in his reading of the trial transcripts, Bryan more often got the better of Darrow, with the latter coming across as an ignorant bigot who knew nothing about the Bible.