Sign in to follow this  
The Invisible Man

Robert Altman

I was claiming that Altman doesn't despise his characters, and thus is a healthy option to the Coens, who often do. Imagine the Coen brothers directing Nashville, for example. That would be rough. There are a lot of dull, self-absorbed characters in that film, and Altman manages somehow not to allow us to hate them for it.

Generally, I agree. But you don't think he despises some of the characters in Cookie's Fortune?

M. Leary   

I didn't think "hated" any of is characters while watching it. But I may be biased by my reading of Nashville and Short Cuts, in which (like P.T. Anderson) he manages to tell stories about characters that we very easily could hate, but don't. I haven't seen Cookie's Fortune for two years now, so I will have to revisit it if I were to be more definitive. Am I missing a scene or two that is fresher in your memory?

Favorites:

1. Nashville

2. Short Cuts

3. This is really hard: Popeye, Gosford Park, and The Long Goodbye could all easily take this slot.

I haven't seen it since its theatrical run, but I was thinking of the characters played by Glenn Close and Julianne Moore. However, I'm not really prepared to defend those choices; the movie isn't fresh in my memory. I was hoping you could clarify.

Link to our thread on The Company (2003).

Links to our threads on 'Altman Fan Heresy: 'Short Cuts' Whups Up on 'Nashville'!' (Aug 2003 - Aug 2007), 'Are any of Altman's films spiritually significant?' (Aug 2005) and 'Altman Finally Gets His Oscar' (Jan-Feb 2006).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OUZNa6Oe4o

Thanks for pulling this thread, Peter. I just read through it again, and asked myself why I don't watch Altman's films with more regularity. So many great titles, so many good, interesting films that aren't perfect.

Mitch Zuckoff, who wrote the "oral biography" of Altman published around the time of the director's death, recently hosted a GoodReads chat to discuss his newest book, which has nothing to do with Altman or film in general. Because I'd given a good GoodReads rating to the author's book on Altman, I was invited to send in a question. I did, and it was about reaction to the Altman book. Zuckoff, predictably (this is the trend among all of my questions submitted for GoodReads author events), didn't field my question -- or any other question that wasn't related to his new book. I understand: It's a publicity event designed to stoke sales of his latest work. Why "waste time" on questions about previous books? But I always hope the author will field my questions. Sigh.

Los Angeles folks....  Wish I'd known about this sooner.  The Alex Theatre in Glendale is showing several Altman films over the first three Thursdays of October, all followed by a Q&A with a featured guest (TBA) from each film.  Tonight, McCabe and Mrs. Miller - Oct. 9th, Kansas City - Oct. 16th, A Prairie Home Companion.

Wow, John: That's a drop-everything-to-attend series. I understand that we can't always catch everything we want to catch, however. I run into that problem with some frequency myself.