Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Cooperstown elections

The ballot for the Baseball HOF was released today. A year set for controversy.

Ripkin - in

Gwynn - in

McGwire - in or out? At least one voter says "out"

I'd leave him off this year if I had a vote.

It is time to let Jim Rice in.

Some of the names on the ballot only get in if Katherine Harris is in charge of using e-voting machines in the Chicago of Mayor Daley the First. Dante Bichette? Wally Joyner? Devon White? All played for the Angels at some point, but shouldn't be in Cooperstown unless they're looking for autographs.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Make that at least two writers. And I'm with them. At least for now.

I'd vote for Gwynn, Ripkin and Rice.

Question about McGwire: most of the support of his enshrinment in regard to steroid allegations revolve in the territory of "well, he wasn't proved of anything and if he was doping it wasn't illegal in baseball at the time." Were the steroids McGwire was accused of taking illegal for the rest of the country? By taking them, against baseball rules or not, was McGwire breaking the law. If he was taking substances that was banned throughout the country, does it even matter if it wasn't banned specifically by baseball?

That makes perfect sense, but not at all in the insular world of organized baseball. Remember, gambling is the worst of all offenses. This standard was conceived by gamblers running the game who hired Kennesaw Mountain Landis to make them stop, after the Black Sox Scandal of 1919.

I'd be slightly more likely to consider Mac if not for his non-testimony before Congress. I'd likely not vote for him for at least 3 years, but probably eventually vote him in. But then, I'd vote for Rose, but the Catch 22 of HOF voting is such that even if the Commish would lift his ban, his eligibility for HOF is past.

Ripkin gets in with 3rd highest %age, Gwynn with 7th highest.

Big Mac got less than 25%. Canseco didn't even get the 5% needed to stay on ballot.

Goose and Rice denied again.

story

Edited by Darrel Manson

I hope Ripkin and Gwynn don't get lost in the publicity of McGwire and steroids. Ripkin and Gwynn were two outstanding players and from what I understand, outstanding humans. I really hope their accomplishments get the credit they deserve.

Ripkin gets in with 3rd highest %age, Gwynn with 7th highest.

Sad. Gwynn was far more valuable throughout his career. I still think that Ripken kept the streak going far beyond his own standard of play at the peak of his talent. The streak and watching it overshadowed just about every other shortstop in baseball at the time. And by historic standards, that was a golden age of shortstops.

Nothing? I haven't seen press reports yet, but I wasn't looking either. This would be classic "organisation baseball". Just punt.

Veterans Committee (known the last few years for how much they haven't done) elects 5 managers/executives to the HOF

World Series-winning managers Billy Southworth and Dick Williams will be joined in the Class of 2008 on July 29 at Cooperstown, N.Y., by former Commissioner Bowie Kuhn and owners Walter O'Malley and Barney Dreyfuss.

full story

The class of 2009:

Rickey Henderson - elected in his first year of eligibility

Jim Rice - elected in his final year of eligibility (Bosox fans can now breathe easier)

Joe Gordon was chosen by the veterans committee.

Big Mac is still outside. Andre Dawson and Bert Blyleven the only other players to get over 50%. Tommy John didn't make it in 15 years and will fall off the ballot.

full story

Edited by Darrel Manson

I couldn't figure out why Joe Gordon rings a bell. Boy do second basemen not get their due. Gordon held Second when Rizzuto came into the game. According to Wikipedia, they fit perfectly. With the Indians, Gordon covered Boudreau, not everyone's fave as a fielding shortstop. Both are in the Hall. Both are questionably deserving at their position. Gordon was described as "acrobatic".

Like I say, second basemen do not get their due. I noticed that Alan Trammel is still on the ballot while Whittaker is long gone despite marginally better hitting stats than "Tram". Around here, we always thought they deserved induction together as the best and longest effective combination. "Tramaker" came up together and never really played with anyone else until Whittaker retired after 20+ years together.

Good for Ricky. He was a Hoover as an outfielder too. Henderson is matchless in reading pitchers even though stealing is not considered statistically prudent today. Moneyball doctrine states that one should stay planted rather than risk an unforced out. I hope that does not discourage the kid who will break Ricky's record. I'd love to watch that kid.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Good for Ricky. He was a Hoover as an outfielder too. Henderson is matchless in reading pitchers even though stealing is not considered statistically prudent today. Moneyball doctrine states that one should stay planted rather than risk an unforced out. I hope that does not discourage the kid who will break Ricky's record. I'd love to watch that kid.

Depends on personnel as to whether stealing is prudent. If you have a Rickey Henderson, it's well worth the possible out. If you have someone with speed, but not the power to play Earl Weaver baseball (wait for the 3 run HR), then you want to move into scoring position. If you just signed Texiera (Damned Yankees!) to add to your power, you don't need anybody who can steal.