Second Life

Chashab

Just curious, does anyone use this virtual world? I messed around with it very briefly, but didn't have the time (or a good enough graphics card) to keep it up.

It's becoming (or has become) quite a phenom. People are spending half a million REAL DOLLARS in the world a day

Just curious, does anyone use this virtual world? I messed around with it very briefly, but didn't have the time (or a good enough graphics card) to keep it up. . .

I'm pretty fascinated with it, but at the same time a bit befuddled.

My sentiments exactly. After the Wired article I took a look, downloaded it, and took a tour (wow, you can fly! How cool!) but I didn't have the time or the graphics card to look into it more than three times.

I like the idea though. Just seems like harmless fun. 'Cept for maybe the second life sex.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I'll just re-read Snow Crash...

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I just downloaded this app, and am enjoying the flying around. I also spent some time at the Star Trek area. Is anyone else from A&F on this? What of interest is there to do in SL?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 3 weeks later...

I dabbled in 'Second Life' a bit. Its a pretty strange world, and you really have to watch where and what you do in some cases as you might wander into some of the darker side of the Internet! However, for the most part it was relatively clean when I tried it. I erased it after dealing with the temptation factor and my own weakness, and the inherent lack of plot that I enjoy when I play games.

What did impress, and what might get me back into it, is the ability to manipulate your part of the world in Second Life. Using Photoshop/GIMP and Blender (and other proprietary 3D software) you can create just about anything from what I understand. For an artist, in particular a digital artist, this has some serious potential (if you are willing to deal with copyright issues, and people ripping off ideas; just don't do anything you aren't willing to part with!).

Due to the level of mature content, I tend to stay away due to my own weakness in that regard.