Sign in to follow this  
NClarke

Panasonic DVX100

mdsteves. I noticed in your discussion of various editing software you mentioned you use this camera.

We recently acquired one at work for an overseas trip (which we shot at standard 30 - and the camera was marginally better than other mini DV cameras we have either used or tested.) However, over the last few months we have really enjoyed using the 24p - it really does give a nice "film like" look and feel. We edit it in 30 frames so we aren't using the 24p advanced, but it still seems to work well.

I have noticed that there are limitations. Pans look like crap (which I suppose is fine since its rare to find pans in films) and a lot of movement and the shot blurs up. It's also hard to mix it with 30 frames footage as the 30 frames really stands out as sub-par (especially if it's miniDV). We did a video that had a lot of interviews on the campus of U-Wisconsin Madison and they looked great - really added to the overall feel of the show we were producing.

In what settings and situations have you noticed the camera working well or failing. It seems like this camera does require some different thinking in terms of use, so any input would be helpful.

On a final note - the zoom is pretty disappointing. They need to increase for the next model.

Sorry this reply is so delayed.

Basically I'll say that the 24p settings are not really great in run/gun situations where so much documentary work takes place as you probably have noticed already. The lack of auto-focus and gain in progressive modes is also troublesome at times.

The blurred pans are normal for 24fps. In film they sometimes highlight this effect and call it a swish pan. Basically you do have to think in terms of film when shooting this way which can be difficult at times since most of us are used to thinking in terms fo video.

On the plus side, in controlled situations where you can plan lighting and movement the 24p is about as good as it gets for something in this price range.

You avoid the nast little interlacing artifacts and the frame grabs come off a lot cleaner.

Can try to make the ntsc footage match somewhat with the 24p by de-interlacing the 29.97 footage.

Also you will get a very close to 24p(adv.) using 24p(standard). The main reason to use 24p(adv.) is that you retain very slightly higher image quality and you can make 24p dvds which will allow more video on the dvd and/or higher bit-rates. Also the renders take less time because you're processing 20% fewer frames.

I usually only shoot 24p(adv.) because I intend for everything to go to a 24p dvd. But if you're doing slow-mo you should use 30p or 60i.

At work I still do everything 60i because the dvx is my private camera. But I'll will probably use it at work in the future for some overseas video stuff. I think once you get used to manipulating the controls quickly it should even be adequate for certain run/gun scenarios.

On a final note despite the viewfinder's size it's almost impossible to focus with it.

Final note: the dvx100a just came out and it fixes some of the first model's failings.

I don't have this new model.

If you want more specifics I'll be happy to answer. Hopefully in a more timely fashion.

Matt

Hmm...I don't really have a problem with panning with my DVX...are you talking about really fast, as in the aforementioned swish pan, or just in general?

Jason

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Hmm...I don't really have a problem with panning with my DVX...are you talking about really fast, as in the aforementioned swish pan, or just in general?

Jason,

I notice it most with really fast pans (which certainly can have a nice effect) but even with slow pans the image breaks up. I only notice this in the 24p settings and since I really shouldn't be doing a lot of pans, it doesn't matter an awful lot. At the normal video frame rates the camera seems to perform just like other models I have used.

mdsteves,

Could you give me a little primer on how you go from 24p advanced into your editting software and then into your DVD authoring software. I am curious about settings etc. I have only ever editted at 30 fps interlaced so this is new territory for me.

thanks

nate

Nate Clarke, what editing/dvd software do you use? The workflow has potential to be quite varied. For the record I use Sony Vegas and I probably won't know the specifics for other software. I think you'll find a lot of very useful info at dvxuser.com. I'd suggest going there first. Hope that helps.

Matt

what editing/dvd software do you use?

I use one of three Avids - a DV Xpress, an NT Xpress or an Adrenaline (based on Media Composer.)

I am interested in finding out what settings you have to change between the 24p capture and a regular 30i. Do you have to change import settings or just ones for the project.

After you have editted, how do you get your material ready for export to DVD (which DVD authoring software are you using.)

Thanks for your help on this matter!

nate

mdsteves,

OK, I think I can get more specific on a question about editting in 24. I can get the Avid to edit in 24 frames and I can out put it at 24 frames (i.e. for work in After Effects.) The question I have is how do you get it ready for DVD. I thought DVD was a 30 frames / sec media (although I am uncertain here.)

Thanks

nate

Nate,

Dvd isn't just 30fps. Dvd players will allow native 24p dvds and automatically insert the extra frames on the fly for ntsc compatibility. And if it's a progressive scan dvd player the image will look better. The main advantages for making a 24p dvd is the better image(in theory) and you can put approximately 20 percent more video on the dvd without reducing the bit rate quality because of the 20 percent fewer framese. Also rendering would take 20 percent less time if you can edit 24p natively.

I'm not sure what Avid would require but in Vegas I have a 24p dvd mpeg2 template that I use. Along with AC3 audio I import that into my dvd authoring program (DVD Architect) and can burn a dvd without having to recompress anything.

If there isn't an existing template you should be able to render an mpeg2 at 24fps that might conform. I think dv pro fully supports the 24p project but express dv doesn't.

Hope this helps a bit.

Matt

Nate,

Sorry I just read your previous post again and saw you have dv express. I don't think that actually supports a native 24p project, only the pro version. In that case you'd probably have to keep it at 29.97 ntsc. I don't know if the other systems you mentioned support it at all. My guess is no.

So you'd probably just bring it into a normal ntsc timeline and do whatever you normally do.

If I'm wrong about this let me know that also.

Matt

I guess when I mean 24p support I include the process of getting it to dvd. There could be some workflow that works though. I just don't know enough about the system.

mdsteves,

Thanks for the info about DVDs - very helpful. Our Avid Adrenaline should edit in 24. I will do some experimenting today and let you know if I have more questions

nate