Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
opus

Battlestar Galactica

209 posts in this topic

"Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason" (Keats)

Syfy has announced Blood and Chrome, a new online series that explores a young Adama's exploits during the Cylon Wars.

"Blood & Chrome" is "about a young man's initiation into war: both the realities of war as fought by soldiers on the ground (and in Battlestars and Vipers), and the somewhat less real version portrayed in the media," according to Taylor.

"Blood & Chrome" would consist of nine or 10 episodes of nine or 10 minutes each, and it would make use of cutting-edge digital technology and special effects to depict the Cylon War. If it is greenlit to production, it will be filmed using green screens and virtual sets, not unlike Syfy's "Sanctuary" or James Cameron's "Avatar." Before "Battlestar Galactica" ended, high-tech scans were made of all the show's sets, so that the special-effects team will be able to re-create them (possibly even in 3D).

"I've seen the virtual, 3D version of CIC ['Battlestar's' Combat Information Center] and it's pretty damn cool," Taylor said. "And yet the movie isn't confined to Galactica. Far from it. It's a story that will take us to new corners of the 'Battlestar' world (or worlds), and yet it aims to be a very contemporary war movie in a lot of ways. I would say I'm thinking as much of Afghanistan and Iraq--the reality of 'Hurt Locker,' Sebastian Junger's 'Restrepo,' and similar movies--as I am about about the largely implied past of 'Battlestar.'"

Edited by opus

My wife and I just finished Season 4 of BSG - and we loved the conclusion. Excellent, satisfying, everything the finale to LOST should have been. :o)

Then we watched "The Plan." Ugh. In case someone wanders into this thread and hasn't seen "The Plan" - don't. Just, don't. It's not worth it, it's horrible, and you'll regret it. "The Plan" plays like a poorly-constructed clip show, recycling old footage, interspersed with new footage (though not including the entire main cast - there's nothing new with Starbuck, Helo, or Baltar) that is supposed to connect the dots on the Cylons' motivations. Let me make it easy for you - you ALREADY understand the Cylons' motivations better now than you will after watching this movie. The one thing the movie does well is expand on the destruction of the Colonies. But after the first 20 minutes, everything worth watching - everything - is done. AND, the movie includes shot after shot of gratuitous full-on nudity and sex throughout. Sigh. It's just a horrible, horrible waste of time.

"Razor" was awesome, the whole series was great, but "The Plan" is anti-good. :o)

I didn't think The Plan was supposed to "connect the dots" so much as it was supposed to "fill the gaps" left in the continuity by all the haphazard writing and ongoing retconning. It's not really an episode for the person who wonders "What was the Cylons' plan?" so much as it is an episode for the person who wonders "Knowing what we do now, how are we to make sense of the loose threads left by this episode, and that episode, and the other episode... and what was the person who turned out to be the Big Villain Of The Show doing for the first year or two before this character had even been invented?"

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Months and months ago, I got almost half-way through The Plan and then had to stop and run an errand or something. I've never been back to it. By about 30 minutes in it seemed to be nothing more than a vehicle for Cavil to be his smarmy self in big doses. Which actually isn't as fun as it sounds on paper. And whatever it was doing with the mythology didn't seem compelling enough to go back to it.

The Cylon side of the attack was kind of cool though. Unnecessary, but cool.

I haven't seen any of Caprica, no.

I haven't seen any of Caprica, no.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic show. And while it's very different from the re-imagined BSG in many ways, it still manages to keep some of the same themes.

For what it's worth, I noticed that Hulu posted the first three episodes again too, just in time for the second half of season 1 (which, thankfully, got moved up to this fall).

i hope that at some point all the webisodes will be available on DVD -- anyone know anything about that possibility?

The Resistance webisodes are included with Season 3 set. It looks like The Face of the Enemy series isn't on DVD at all, though.

The Resistance webisodes are included with Season 3 set. It looks like The Face of the Enemy series isn't on DVD at all, though.

Yeah, it's not, at least the last time I checked. OK, just confirmed on Wikipedia and Amazon — it doesn't seem to be included in any version of the series. That said, all ten are available on Hulu here. The webisodes are pretty good, too, so they're worth watching.

(sigh)

hulu. the bane of my canadian tv existence...

in any case, i checked by season 3.0 set and they are on DVD2. i never really watched the extras as the episodes were already so engrossing. maybe i'll go back and watch all the supplementary materials now.

(sigh)

hulu. the bane of my canadian tv existence...

in any case, i checked by season 3.0 set and they are on DVD2. i never really watched the extras as the episodes were already so engrossing. maybe i'll go back and watch all the supplementary materials now.

Oops! I forgot you're Canadian. Sorry :(

Also, from what I've read, people have reported that even though some DVDs say "Face of the Enemy" is on them, they really aren't.

The BSG Series "Bible", along with some season one scripts, can be found here.

Two snippets of interest from Moore's introduction to the "bible:"

...our series employs a three-tiered structure to maintain tension and suspense every week. Similar to the one employed by the classic TV series "Hill Street Blues' but never attempted in science fiction, this structure lets us keep the pressure on our characters every week through the use of a long-term continuing storyline while at the same time allowing for weekly, stand-alone stories designed to hook in viewers who may not have watched last week's episode.

Never attempted in sci-fi? What about Bablyon 5? What about Moore's own efforts to make DS9 a longer-form work of sci-fi TV?

The key to the success of this series is to never,ever let the air out of the balloon- the battlestar Galactica lives in a perpetual state of crisis, one in which the Cylons can appear at any moment, and where terrorist bombs, murders, rebellions, accidents, and plagues are the unfortunate routines of day to day life. There are no days for our characters, no safe havens, nothing approaching the quiet normal existence they once knew. They are on the run for their very lives.

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then. But I would be curious to hear Moore talk about what he wrote in 2003 and how he changed that approach as the Cylons' internal situation grew more complex; that they stopped being just the bad guys and splintered into opposing factions, giving the humans a bit more breathing space.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then.

I'm watching the series currently with two other couples (I'm the only one who has seen the show in its entirety), and I'm dreading the season 3 lull. That everyone is hooked on the show is making me giddy. I'm just hoping it stays that way. I think the problem is that some of the episodes work in theory, but end up being 15 minutes too long.

Much has been made of of the season 3 slump, especially that second half chunk that featured several weak standalone episodes in a row. If I had to pinpoint an "air-escaping" moment, it would be then.

I'm watching the series currently with two other couples (I'm the only one who has seen the show in its entirety), and I'm dreading the season 3 lull. That everyone is hooked on the show is making me giddy. I'm just hoping it stays that way. I think the problem is that some of the episodes work in theory, but end up being 15 minutes too long.

I'm trying to remember if there's anything actually useful continuity wise in a couple of those. Maybe you could talk them into skipping the Helo/evil doctor and Tyrell/Cally/airlock episodes.

I'm trying to remember if there's anything actually useful continuity wise in a couple of those. Maybe you could talk them into skipping the Helo/evil doctor and Tyrell/Cally/airlock episodes.

Well, having watched five years of Lost with these folks (that's years, not just seasons), I think they'll be able to hang in there. And I'm somewhat partial to the second story arc you mention.

I didn't have Space when the BSG remake started and by the time I got that channel the series was already well underway. I'm picky about my viewing habits - I don't want to shell out $5 to rent 3-4 episodes at Blockbusters and I also don't like watching on my computer (that's what the big screen TV is for!) - so I never really watched the show except for a handful of episodes. But now that its been released completely I may eventually buy the complete series set.

I didn't have Space when the BSG remake started and by the time I got that channel the series was already well underway. I'm picky about my viewing habits - I don't want to shell out $5 to rent 3-4 episodes at Blockbusters and I also don't like watching on my computer (that's what the big screen TV is for!) - so I never really watched the show except for a handful of episodes. But now that its been released completely I may eventually buy the complete series set.

The whole series is available on Netflix Instant, FWIW.

He's Canadian, though, and it isn't available there.

I've just started watching this; I think I'm halfway through season 1. (Thank you, Netflix streaming!)

I'm pretty thrilled with the writing, acting, and production values, but, every time I watch an episode, why do I find myself constantly humming the (moving, noble) original TV theme? I know it appeared briefly in a videogame in the first episode of the pilot, but I think it's been absent otherwise. It's one of the great SciFi themes and among the greatest TV themes, IMHO.

I like some of the throwbacks to the original series, especially the casting of Richard Hatch as as Zarek. (Too bad they didn't get Dirk Benedict in a cameo.)

I do not miss the daggit.

One of the thoughts I keep coming back to is how childish Star Trek seems in comparison to BG. I don't miss the unbridled humanism of ST or stupid characters like Neelix. Even Commander Data seems pointless in light of the fearsome (and much more realistic) Cylon mimics. (But why only 12 models?)

One of the other things I love about the show is its gritty realism. This isn't just a TV show where people use the toilet, they actually take dumps.

This is seen in the mechanics of survival--water rationing, phones with cords, exhaustion, laundry. Good stuff.

I just saw this on the IMDB trivia list for the remake:

Edward James Olmos had a clause in his contract that no strange aliens or monsters would ever appear on the show. He wanted to insure that the story stay focused on human drama.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

He's Canadian, though, and it isn't available there.

Sorry. Didn't realize he was Canadian. My bad.