Sign in to follow this  
opus

Battlestar Galactica

I love BSG, but it's very nature is dark and unsettling. At this time in my life I need happy or light. I do however plan on eventually getting the DVDs and catching up, and will get season three when it comes out. Right now I'm indulging my fix with Jacob's recaps on TWOP.

I'll admit it, I was totally wrong. I had a very low view of the miniseries when it aired a few years ago. That, combined with the fact that we don't have cable TV, pretty much ensured that I wasn't going to watch any of the new series. Then my wife watched the miniseries courtesy of our neighbors, who are fans, and she got hooked. So she roped me into watching the new series, and as I said, I was totally wrong.

We've both become huge fans. We just finished blowing through the second season, courtesy of Netflix, and all of the webisodes. Unfortunately, we still don't have cable, so we're going to have to wait until season three comes out on DVD.

I wrote an extended blog entry on my love for the series, but it essentially boils down to the fact that, whereas before I hated the characters due to their flaws, I've come to admire and respect them because of their flaws. As I wrote:

There are times when the characters' flaws are perhaps milked a bit too much, when the inevitable personal clashes and heartache seem a bit too contrived, their only purpose to set up some "big revelation". But the twists and turns, the defeats and triumphs, the lack of surety -- all of these prove to be intensely gripping. The tension between father and son, officer and president, lover and ex-lover, betrayer and betrayed, these things make for great drama, and the cast is uniformly up to the task.

I

Suz and I recently started at the beginning, got caught up, and have been watching live for the past few weeks. We have two big sci-fi geeks in our immediate circle (my best friend and Suz's brother) who had been grousing at us for years to watch the show. It is really, really well done.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love this show. I just bought the second season (both of them) and will watch the third when it comes out. I purposely didn't watch the first part of season 3 because of personal issues. It was simply too dark and I couldn't handle it at the time. Now, though, I'm much better and very gung-ho. I only recently started watching again, seeing part of "Dirty Hands" (with Chief and the strike) and then last week's.

And wow. Last week's. I have no words for that episode.

I borrowed the first season from a monk that I know, and I thought the mini-series was so-so, whereas the first season was definitely more engaging -- I agree with Olmos when he says that the series is better than the mini-series. So opus, I wouldn't feel too bad about not liking the mini-series that much.

I just happened to finish watching season 2.5 on DVD last night, and wow, I am so glad that the show recovered after that AWFUL stretch of episodes on disc 2 of that season. How did I hate those episodes? Let me count the ways.

First: Three episodes in a row where Apollo sleeps (or almost sleeps) with three different women? I can appreciate what you say, opus, about liking the characters BECAUSE of their flaws, but there is a big, big difference between, say, President Roslin's interesting balancing act between noble ideals and the great evils she is prepared to commit in service of those ideals, or the way Starbuck uses callous recklessness as a coping mechanism, on the one hand, and the stupid sluttishness that Apollo displays in that string of episodes, on the other hand. (The fact that Dualla bounces between Apollo and the other guy doesn't help, either.) This almost descended into mere soap-operatics.

Second: The flashback structure that Joss Whedon often used in Firefly is ill-suited to the two (at least) episodes that used it here. Why? Because Battlestar Galactica does such a good job of bringing us "up to speed" in the prologue, and treating the entire series-to-date as a cliffhanger, that it becomes very confusing when the episode suddenly lurches ahead without any warning to a point in media res near the end of the episode, and then lurches backwards again, multiple times. Plus, almost every episode until now has been a straightforward continuation of the story from the point where we last left off. Stand-alone episodes aren't necessarily a bad idea, but they should at least fit into the established template. Here, I was left to wonder if the writers were floundering around while they tried to figure out what the series "arc" was supposed to be, now that they had tied up some of the series' smaller arcs (the people stranded on Caprica, etc.).

Third: The abortion episode. Ugh. Worst use of the phrase "pound of flesh" EVER.

But disc 3 of this season ... wow, the show's back. Groovy. I especially love how the season finale does the "one year later" thing. It feels like one of those Star Trek episodes where we see an alternate future that we know will never really happen. Or like one of those Babylon 5 episodes where we get a glimpse of what's to come, but we know it will take a while to get there yet. But here? Yowza. It doesn't take long for it to sink in that, yes, the entire series really HAS moved forward in time one year -- and all the stuff that seemed so "current", so "present day", is already old history. Freaky. I love it. And I can't wait for season 3 to come out on DVD.

I just happened to finish watching season 2.5 on DVD last night, and wow, I am so glad that the show recovered after that AWFUL stretch of episodes on disc 2 of that season. How did I hate those episodes? Let me count the ways.

Heh, we weren't too fond of that particular stretch in season 2 either, and for the exact same reasons that you mentioned. I was especially underwhelmed with the Apollo/Dualla relationship, partly because I like Billy so much and partly because Dualla's transition from Billy to Apollo was not set up very well at all. They exchange a couple of meaningful glances in the judo ring, and all of a sudden they're lovers?!? Sorry, but considering how well so many of the characters' developments and transformations are done, that felt rather lame to me.

Thankfully, that's been about the only substandard stretch out of two seasons, which is pretty good in my book. :)

First: Three episodes in a row where Apollo sleeps (or almost sleeps) with three different women? I can appreciate what you say, opus, about liking the characters BECAUSE of their flaws, but there is a big, big difference between, say, President Roslin's interesting balancing act between noble ideals and the great evils she is prepared to commit in service of those ideals, or the way Starbuck uses callous recklessness as a coping mechanism, on the one hand, and the stupid sluttishness that Apollo displays in that string of episodes, on the other hand. (The fact that Dualla bounces between Apollo and the other guy doesn't help, either.) This almost descended into mere soap-operatics.

I couldn't agree more.

I've just started going through Season 1 and am very impressed. And yes, it is better than the mini-series.

My two favorite things about PTC's last post are

1. that he borrowed Battlestar Gallactica from a monk friend of his.

2. he called Apollo a slut.

Oh man--didn't anyone else watch the last episode of BSG season 3? Am I the only one still watching in real time, everyone else waiting for the DVDs?

Wow.

2008 is too far away, is al I can say (without spoilers)

Oh man--didn't anyone else watch the last episode of BSG season 3? Am I the only one still watching in real time, everyone else waiting for the DVDs?

I saw that there was some sort of fracas a-brewin' over the season finale. Unfortunately, since my wife and I only watch it via DVD -- we don't have cable -- we'll have to wait a few more months to see what the big hooey is about.

They really did.

Beth, it was awesome. Absolutely awesome. I cannot wait to see what happens in season 4. Laura is really slipping down the slope, isn't she? And I loved Lee's speech.

Dan, I don't think I really can explain the fracas without spoiling. And trust me, you do NOT want to be spoiled.

I've just finished watching the Season 1 DVDs, and I'm hooked. So I've got a little ways to go to catch up with you all.

Edited by Crow

Is the second part of this last episode the one we're waiting for until 2008?!!

Not much of a cliffhanger. The music's in the ship!!!

Editing because your question confused me. :)

Dan, yes the second part is the last episode until 2008.

Or, no, the episode where Tigh says the music is coming from the ship is the second-to-last. There is one more.

:D

Edited by Ann D.

...There is one more.

There's a fine ambiguous not-quite-a-spoiler comment! ::w00t::

(Ann D. and I are driving you guys crazy, aren't we?)

Edited by BethR

...There is one more.

There's a fine ambiguous not-quite-a-spoiler comment! ::w00t::

(Ann D. and I are driving you guys crazy, aren't we?)

I'm just relieved there's one more, it's not yet available on itunes

Well...this is just...sad (warning: possibly objectionable language in linked article):

4th season of BSG to be the last

Edited by BethR

Well...this is just...sad (warning: possibly objectionable language in linked article):

4th season of BSG to be the last

I disagree. As much as I love the show a part of me has been getting antsy for a conclusion. I think the sign of a great show is knowing when to end it.

Battlestar: Razor Cuts into DVD

From the creators of the action-packed television phenomenon Battlestar Galactica comes the exclusive DVD event, Battlestar Galactica: Razor Unrated Extended Edition, on December 4, 2007, just 10 days after the episode premieres on the Sci-Fi Channel on November 24, 2007. The DVD will retail for $26.98.

IGN.com, August 27