Sign in to follow this  
opus

Battlestar Galactica

'Battlestar Galactica' set for theaters

The Sci Fi Channel, in partnership with Microsoft, will unspool a special two-hour episode of "Battlestar Galactica" in movie theaters in eight major cities two weeks before it premieres on the network. The episode, "Razor," kicks off the final 22-hour season of the series. The theater showings, which are free, take place Nov. 12 in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Dallas and Seattle. . . . "Galactica" moviegoers will have to be 17 and older because the series is rated TV-14, and Microsoft's role-playing videogame "Mass Effect," a sponsor of the screenings, is rated mature. Ten days after the network premiere, Sci Fi parent NBC Universal will release an unrated version of "Razor" on DVD. . . .

Variety, Octobe 28

Gulp! Force Majeure Letters In The Mail

. . . I understand that NBC Universal mailed out a stack of these 'force majeure" letters which began arriving Friday at the agencies of various actors. One of the Battlestar Galactica thespians tells me: "When our agents and managers phoned business affairs for clarification, they were told that we are on suspension without pay. We are not terminated. We are on hold to BSG with no pay in perpetuity until the strike is over. When the strike does end Universal/Scifi will then decide whether they want to bring the show back or let us go. Until that time we are in first position with BSG and will have to clear any other project with Scifi/Uni.

"They are not following article 61 of the SAG agreement and are about to get a lot of calls from SAG lawyers. They say that since we have shot the minimum 13 episodes of this season, as per our contracts, that they are under no obligation to pay us or let us go. We are essentially on hiatus. To say yesterday was a tough day on set as this information was slowly presented to us would be a profound understatement."

But it appears the actors and their reps are planning to fight this idea of putting actors on indeterminate hold without pay under a "too bad we own you" power play. Regarding BSG, NBC Uni's SciFi channel is being told that, since the terms of Article 61 appear to be breached, the actors can terminate their deals and attempt to find work elsewhere.

I smell a brawl brewing.

Nikki Finke, Deadline Hollywood Daily, November 17

It's about frakking time... Season 3 comes out on DVD on March 25.

opus wrote:

: It's about frakking time... Season 3 comes out on DVD on March 25.

I was wondering about that -- it seems odd that Razor, which was produced AFTER Season 3, should be on DVD already while the season is not. (FWIW, I watched Razor on New Year's Eve with my wife and a friend of ours, and we liked it quite a bit. It does add some interesting subtexts to Season 2.)

Sci Fi puts faith in 'Believer' comic

Sci Fi Channel has given the go-ahead to "Caprica," a prequel of "Battlestar Galactica" in the form of a two-hour backdoor pilot, and has signed Rosario Dawson to develop "True Believer," the pilot for a proposed series based on a comicbook she co-created. . . .

"Battlestar Galactica" is concluding its 3

I've finished watching the Season 3 DVDs, and I think that has been the strongest season yet. I'm finally caught up with this show so I can watch the new season live, starting tonight. The ending of the past season opened up some potentially fascinating storylines, I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes from here, and how they explain

where Starbuck went

and

the discovery of the identites of the new Cylons

. I have no idea the show will explain that last thing, but it will be interesting to watch.

Caught an episode of this last week and, despite the fact that I was dozing off, I really enjoyed it. I think I'm adding this to my Blockbuster Online queue so I can join in with the rest of you. :)

Co-executive producer Mark Verheiden on the script for the series finale:

It's simply... amazing. The sort of script where, when you finish, you just fall back in your chair in a daze, then call anyone in the loop and spend hours talking about how satisfying and powerful and (pick superlative of choice)... usually I would be a little mindful of raising expectations or succumbing to excessive hyperbole, but that's not going to be a problem here. Of course, I've seen what's coming up for the rest of season four, and I think it's all mighty powerful stuff (not to mention exciting, heart-breaking, "etc."), but to know it all culminates in something so remarkable... well, the bar for great television just got notched up another level. No kidding.

Not that he's biased, of course. :)

I think it's all mighty powerful stuff (not to mention exciting, heart-breaking, "etc."), but to know it all culminates in something so remarkable... well, the bar for great television just got notched up another level. No kidding.

See, this is the problem, I think, with Battlestar Galactica, maybe especially in this fourth season.

It is indeed mighty powerful, exciting, heart-breaking, "etc.," and it just keeps notching up the bar another level, no kidding.

Every emotion, every plotline, every crisis is ratcheted up to the nth degree to wring the maximum possible excitement, anxiety, pathos, horror, grief, "etc." out of every character and every viewer. We need some fracking down time once in a while.

Here and there I think that the series is also partially succumbing to the second-season failing of making the characters too unlikeable and the plotlines too uniformly downbeat. They pull it out of the fire again and again, but the issue never quite goes away. As a friend recently commented, "You know a show has a happiness problem when the least stressful plotline is about dying of cancer."

Don't get me wrong. It's the only show I watch, period, and that's for a reason. I'm just saying.

Every emotion, every plotline, every crisis is ratcheted up to the nth degree to wring the maximum possible excitement, anxiety, pathos, horror, grief, "etc." out of every character and every viewer. We need some fracking down time once in a while.

Here and there I think that the series is also partially succumbing to the second-season failing of making the characters too unlikeable and the plotlines too uniformly downbeat. They pull it out of the fire again and again, but the issue never quite goes away. As a friend recently commented, "You know a show has a happiness problem when the least stressful plotline is about dying of cancer."

Agreed. As much as I love BSG, it's become a little wearying to watch this season. Honestly, it wasn't really until the last two episodes that I really found myself getting onboard with this season. At least in the earlier seasons we had Baltar providing some semblance of comic relief. However, even that little bit of levity is gone now.

I just started watching this last friday. I'm already on the last episode of 2.5. I do have to say that I am surprised that anyone decided to keep watching this show after the end of 2.0. I mean, you guys went through a BREAK?! After THAT?! I mean, it was 2 AM and I was throwing things! Props to you if you made it through that break.

I just started watching this last friday. I'm already on the last episode of 2.5. I do have to say that I am surprised that anyone decided to keep watching this show after the end of 2.0. I mean, you guys went through a BREAK?! After THAT?! I mean, it was 2 AM and I was throwing things! Props to you if you made it through that break.

I think I'm feeling worse now after 4.12, the "mid-finale" (I don't know how to designate it)...

That's all I can say without spoilers. However, anyone else who has seen it may want to read these comments from Jane Espenson.

Argh! Is it 2009 yet?

I think I'm feeling worse now after 4.12, the "mid-finale" (I don't know how to designate it)...

That's all I can say without spoilers. However, anyone else who has seen it may want to read these comments from Jane Espenson.

Argh! Is it 2009 yet?

Yeah, that break is nothing compared to next six (or however many) months. Fans who have watched up through Revelations (mid-season finale seems to work as a descriptor) might also be interested in Bear McCreary's blog (I'm particularly thinking of you, Peter). McCreary is the composer for BSG and writes about the process of scoring each episode. That does mean that his blog is full of spoilers, but for the most part you can avoid them unless you click "Read the rest of this entry" hyperlink for each post. The following is how he opens his post about Revelations.

My journey scoring Battlestar Galactica has been long and arduous, but intensely rewarding. I'm only now realizing how deeply it has affected me, on both musical and personal levels. Many experiences stand out as having an incredible impact on me: scoring the destruction of the Olympic Carrier as my first cue on my first professional credit, composing endless drafts of "Passacaglia," scoring Kara's literal and figurative self-destruction in Maelstrom.

When I first watched the rough cut of Revelations months ago, I suspected that scoring it would be another such experience. But I had no idea what I was in store for.

Throughout my life, I've written only four pieces that redefined what I'm capable of, compositions that stand above everything else I've ever done: works that changes the way I approach my craft. While these transformations are often painful, they are the growth that all artists strive for.

Heh. Cool.

FWIW, those "steamy" sex scenes really turned me off, especially in the mini-series. But after awhile, they do start becoming comical, especially when Baltar finds himself in increasingly compromising situations as a result of them.

FWIW, those "steamy" sex scenes really turned me off, especially in the mini-series. But after awhile, they do start becoming comical, especially when Baltar finds himself in increasingly compromising situations as a result of them.

Agreed. I roll my eyes at those scenes (as I also roll them at the teenage angst that keeps popping up), but the scenes with Gaius are a riot. He's become a pro at explaining them away.

I'm in the first half of season 2 on DVD and enjoying it, a lot. I'll probably have more concrete thoughts as I finish and have more time to think, but I've got through the miniseries, season one, and I'm four episodes into season 2...in two weeks. So I'm still working on thoughts. But hey! Yay for BSG!

I caught an episode of this while season three was running for the first time, and enjoyed it, but felt a little lost. I just need to start things from the beginning. So I am! They cast this well, too.

I'm in the first half of season 2 on DVD and enjoying it, a lot. I'll probably have more concrete thoughts as I finish and have more time to think, but I've got through the miniseries, season one, and I'm four episodes into season 2...in two weeks. So I'm still working on thoughts. But hey! Yay for BSG!

Season 2 is by far my favorite season. That's not to say that the other seasons are bad, but season 2 just blew me away so many times, especially in the second half. You've got a fun ride ahead of you.

opus wrote:

: Season 2 is by far my favorite season. That's not to say that the other seasons are bad, but season 2 just blew me away so many times, especially in the second half.

Huh. As I recall, Season 2.5 included one disc of episodes that I did not care for at all, but thankfully the final disc got things back up to speed. Season 3, by comparison, was a lot more consistent, I thought.

Season 3, by comparison, was a lot more consistent, I thought.

I'll be honest, it took me a little while to get into season 3, but it definitely picked up towards the end.