Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tea

43 posts in this topic

Taylors of Harrogate have a cracking strong blend called Yorkshire Tea.

Yorkshire Gold is almost the only thing I drink, as it's the strongest English Breakfast-type tea out there.

In terms of twinings, I like the Lady Grey a bit better. Has an almost sweeter taste.

Our coffee & tea shop carries Choice teas. We only stock about 15 varieties right now (we can't afford to stock more), but we've been very pleased with the product. It's all organic, all fair trade (where applicable). I love the roobois and Russian Caravan in particular.

According to this article, Pennsylvanians drink five times more tea than folks in other states. I'm in the right state!

(Or does it just mean that Pennslvanians are fives times more likely to purchase their tea at Wal*Mart? Yuck. That means the opposite...)

Yeah, people drink lots of tea near Pittsburgh. But lots of people drink bad tea. Maybe we're in the wrong state? ;)

I like Lipton for iced tea, but if I'm drinking hot tea it has to be black (or dark) with cream. Favorites are Twinings Earl Gray, Irish and English Breakfasts and PG Tips. I get most of it from a little coffee/wine/chocolate/tea shop near my apartment. I've never had Typhoo, but I might have to try it.

Also, as far as American tea goes, some of the best tea I've ever found (ever) is from a little company called Numi that processes organic teas of various sorts. My favorite is probably their "Aged Earl Gray." The website is www.numitea.com , and I've heard that their herbal and flowering teas are just as good (not so much a fan, myself, of any herbal teas). Possibly a little on the pricey side, but worth it if you want to order it or can find it. It's hard to find dealers around here that carry the black stuff.

Thanks to Evan, Darrel and Andrew for reminding me of this thread. I still don't drink as much tea as I'd like, or as I think I should. My coffee addiction has grown worse over the years, leading to home roasting and now, oddly, backward in a sense to a Keurig machine that I'd been skeptical of but am finding far too enjoyable considering the minimal effort involved in making a cup. 

But back to tea.

My wife has started drinking tea quite a bit, certainly much more often than she used to. What jump-started her tea-drinking? Harney & Sons tea. We have a lot of single-serve tea bags from various tea brands that we dip into, but those have now been relegated to offerings for a group Bible study that meets at our home weekly. It's a woman's study, and they love the variety of teas. But on all other days, Sarah makes a two-cup pot of Harney & Sons tea, and she's taken to drinking both cups. I'll usually have a cup on Sunday afternoon.

Sarah's favorite, by far, is the Harney & Sons Earl Grey. There's an Imperial Earl Grey and a [something Else] Earl Grey; I can't tell the difference, if there is one. She also likes something called Paris tea. I'm a big fan of Harney & Sons' Hot Cinnamon Spice and, when I'm not in a black-tea mood, Pomegranate Oolong. 

Sarah continues to dislike green tea, which I enjoy. 

And then there's Chocolate Mint tea. It's in a category of its own.

Edited by Christian

I like most flavors of tea, but green tea is my favorite, with white tea and English breakfast tea as runners-up.  I'm not too fussy about which brand of tea I drink, although I don't particularly care for Celestial tea.  However, they do have a green and white tea blend with hints of honey and lemon which is pretty good.  White tea is unfortunately hard to come by, and I have to take it when and where I can get it.  I'm partial to Stash's English breakfast tea, mostly for its strength.  Stash also makes a chai green tea with cinnamon, which I think is exquisite.

And then there's Chocolate Mint tea. It's in a category of its own.

If you like Chocolate Mint tea, you'll love our new Crest Mint Chocolate toothpaste.  That way you'll get to maintain the flavor profile whilst cleansing the tea stains from your pearly whites.

.0003700088974_AV_60X60.gif

Thanks for linking to this thread, Evan - I'd completely forgotten about it.  With the opening of EarthFare and Fresh Market in our burg a couple of years ago, I began discovering the joys of Stash, Mighty Leaf, Yogi, etc.  Then this Christmas, my brother nearly ruined me for those brands by giving me a tin of Kusmi tea.  If you go to their website, you'll see that they've got probably 80 or so varieties for sale.  Currently, I have tins of Prince Wladimir (Russian and Chinese black tea blend, with vanilla, grapefruit, and orange), Sweet Love (Chinese black tea with licorice and pink pepper - packs a nice kick for those sluggish mornings), and Zoubrovka (Chinese black tea with buffalo grass, which gives it a delightful honey aroma).

There's also a great tea shop in nearby Asheville, from which I'll pick up some loose leaf varietals now and again - currently I've got some wonderfully smoky Lapsang souchong and a Kyoto green tea, which sounds very much like the green tea SDG described above (so earthy and fragrant, it's like drinking freshly mown grass, except in a good way).

I love using an infuser and two-cup teapot to start my morning.

My tea choices have good through some changes -- mostly because my suppliers quit selling what I want.  Stash discontinued Caravan, so then I found Scottish Breakfast tea at Peet's coffee.  It has a smokiness I liked.  But then they discontinued it (it's like I'm the only one who buys the stuff). I switched to their Russian Caravan for a while--until it was discontinued.  Now I get Lapsong Souchong.  I tried ordering a Scottish Breakfast from Amazon, but it wasn't the same.

Most days I have the LS, but will take a break at times with either Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast, or Twinnings Earl Grey.

Edited by Darrel Manson

I drink tea a few times a week, and my tastes have expanded in all directions—I like garbage (100 bags of oolang for $4) and finer teas alike. Some of my favorites these days:

Hē Chá  Mount Ali Milk Oolong - easily the best tea I've had. Incredibly subtle flavors. A the risk of sounding like someone who drinks with their pinkie up, it's almost like a flower opening in my mouth. 

Eastern Shore Black Raven Tea - Black tea flavored with blackcurrant. 

Harney & Sons Holiday Tea - I've been critical of H&S before, partially because I equate them with the same people who sell bags of "elite" Blue Mountain coffee for a small fortune. But I can turn down the snobbery for this.

OK, a question: Why do I want to eat every snack in the house when I'm drinking tea? When I drink coffee, I'm usually content with coffee alone.

I've heard -- without ever verifying -- that people process the caffeine in tea differently than they process caffeine in coffee. Is there anything to that, and if so, could it somehow explain my ravenous snacking when drinking tea?

Are you sure it's tea?

Ha! Pomegranate oolong today.

Poked around a little and talked to some friends. I haven't found anything concrete, but I think it's just how the different beverages interact with your body. I'm pretty sure the caffeine is the cause of the hunger--you just might be more susceptible to tea than coffee. 

Thanks, Jason. Yeah, coffee can make me hungry, but usually doesn't. Maybe I've just been drinking it for so long my body has adjusted. But the same ingredient in tea kicks my stomach into overdrive. It can't be a coincidence; this happens at various times, in various states of empty-stomachness (sometimes I've eaten soon before, sometimes not). The only thing these incidents have in common is the tea consumption that leads into the reaction.

In the course of the past year, I've almost completely switched from coffee to tea. I was never a tea drinker before (and if you were to offer me a glass of bog-standard Lipton tea, I'd probably pass), but once you get into the more interesting varieties of tea a whole new world opens up.

The only time I have coffee now is after a very large meal (usually at a restaurant), just to help me pick up my energy level. But otherwise, I'm stay away from the stuff. It's too harsh on my system.

Since Peet's quit having loos leaf (or any other kind) of Scottish Breakfast, I've shifted to Lapsong Souchong. Strong smokiness.

Nowadays I'm almost totally a Dobra Tea drinker.  They run a couple of teahouses in Asheville, NC, though you can also order their teas online.  They have a huge variety of loose leaf teas, and I usually shift among 4 of their varieties for my morning pot of tea.  Presently, in my cupboard, I've got their lychee cha (great olfactory and gustatory burst of sensation for the wakeup), plum, vanilla, lapsang souchong, and white peony (lower caffeine variety for my weekends).