Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sara Zarr

Story of a Girl

65 posts in this topic

The official release date is 1/10/2007, but it appears to be in stores or on its way to stores now.

Story of a Girl is contemporary young adult fiction (ages 13 or 14 and up), and it is my debut novel. Feel free to discuss, question, praise, condemn here. I may or may not participate, depending on how my ability to not be defensive is doing on a particular day. :D

If you buy a copy (thank you!) and would like a signed book plate (like a clear Avery label kind of thing you can put on the title page), PM me with your address.

Ask for it at your local indie book store or request it at your library. If you happen to see it in a store, feel free to turn it face out and/or place it strategically on a display table. :)

I'll post media updates, too. I was recently interviewed for School Library Journal but I'm not sure when that will run. SLJ gave the book a starred review, and Kirkus has also been kind. If you have contacts at local schools/libraries/bookstores who might be interested in a visit or a signing, direct them to my web site (www.sarazarr.com) for info.

I'm looking forward to buying my copy soon Sara.

Picked up my copy from work today... Also, faced out all the copies we had (three, I think) in the display in the YA section. Go Sara! Hope it sells well!

Hi Sara,

I saw your book featured the other day when I was in Kepler's, a big independant bookstore in Menlo Park, CA. Congrats!

Sad to report that I could not find The Story of a Girl at a B&N in Durham, NC--I wanted to buy it for my niece. Guess it's amazon.com time again.

On the plus side, my niece introduced me to the books of Nancy Farmer.

Hope you don't mind, Sara, that I've put a hold on this book at the public library, instead of ordering a copy for myself -- but hey, you're in my public library's system!

Peter - I love libraries!

Beth - Quite possibly all my Raleigh/Durham relatives have cleaned the store out! I recommend anyone who doesn't see it in their favorite store request it - they can get it to you as fast as Amazon.

It's been a while since I posted, but this seemed like a good time for a self-serving, drive-by post pertaining to me me me:

12 June, 2007

Film rights

Sara Zarr

CONGRATULATIONS!!

=D>

Cool - congratulations

Matt

Great to hear! ::cheers::

Great news, Sara. Congratulations! I've become a fan Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer. Wonder if she'll act in as well as produce your book's film version?

Woo-hoo!

And funnily enough, Kyra was on Conan last night. (Or was it Letterman? I can't remember. I was tired.)

Wow! That is awesome Sara! Past the initial excitement, what are your thoughts on having your book translated to the big screen?

That is big news, Sara -- thanks for sharing and congratulations! I hope it all comes together as it should.

the-eyes.jpg

(This exciting announcement wins "Jeff's Gaze of Astonishment".)

Sara, that's fan-buttkicking-tastic.

We'll raise a glass and celebrate when I see you in August.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Wow! That is awesome Sara! Past the initial excitement, what are your thoughts on having your book translated to the big screen?

I think it could be cool. I think it's not the kind of story that would attract "teen movie" makers, which is good. I think if it was done as an indie family drama, it could really be something. It could also be the "little screen," by the way, and go in the TV movie direction. I actually love Lifetime movies, for example, and that would be a totally different movie than an indie family drama, but it could still be good. Honestly, I used to always picture the father character as a "Kevin Bacon type," and I know they have done movies together before and even had their daughter (who is now the age of the protag in my book) in them as well, so the prospect of them doing it as a family project excites me most. But we'll see! I have zero qualms at this point, because I have so much respect for her (Sedgwick's) taste and work. And it might be that nothing pans out into an actual movie, which would be a bummer but not the end of the world.

Thanks for all the congrats!

It's been a while since I posted, but this seemed like a good time for a self-serving, drive-by post pertaining to me me me:

12 June, 2007

Film rights

Sara Zarr's [THE] STORY OF A GIRL, about a teenage girl trying to live

down her "school slut" reputation and repair her relationship with her

family because, at the age of thirteen, her father caught her in the

back seat of a Buick with a high school senior boy, optioned to Mixed

Breed Films, with Kyra Sedgwick and Emily Lansbury producing, by Eddie

Gammara at The Gotham Group.

More about that here

http://www.sarazarr.com

And now that my second book is finally in copyediting and am not under scary deadlines, I look forward to participating in the boards again!

Sara, I cried during the reading of the book, so I'm sure I'll have at least a 2-Hanky rating for the movie. Even tho this is classified as a YA fiction, some old people like me can really get a lot out of your writing and the depth of your storytelling. Frankly, the contents hit home, way too close to home. I look forward to book two.

Mark's Mom

Congrats Sara! Incredible news!!!

That's great news. Congratulations, Sara. And I'd say it certainly bodes well for the movie version of your book that Kyra Sedgwick is involved.

Does this mean you now are a legitimate entry in the 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon game?

Congrats!

Buckeye Jones wrote:

: Does this mean you now are a legitimate entry in the 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon game?

I think you have to be an actor (or appear onscreen) for that to count.

Sara, make sure you get a cameo! :)

Sara, I cried during the reading of the book, so I'm sure I'll have at least a 2-Hanky rating for the movie. Even tho this is classified as a YA fiction, some old people like me can really get a lot out of your writing and the depth of your storytelling. Frankly, the contents hit home, way too close to home. I look forward to book two.

Mark's Mom

Hey! Great to see you here. I am going to shoot for 3-hankies with the second book :)

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

PLEASE OFFER YOUR CONGRATULATIONS TO

NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST

SARA ZARR!!

Story here.

Edited by Overstreet