Sign in to follow this  
Sara Zarr

Story of a Girl

My sister's getting both of the Zarr novels for Christmas. So that hopefully means I'm giving Sara some royalties for Christmas too. :)

My sister's getting both of the Zarr novels for Christmas. So that hopefully means I'm giving Sara some royalties for Christmas too. :)

Yes, it does, and I thank you!! :)

Crow   

I enjoyed reading Sweethearts. I found it to be a nicely-done story of teenaged friendship and the mix of emotions that come with trying to be popular, of finding and losing the one person who really understands you, and the complexity of negotiating teenaged life. These characters felt very real, and the story grabbed me and drew me into the world these characters lived in.

Congratulations, Sara! :)

Edited by Crow

I intend to begin 2009 by sharing my commute to and from work with Sara Zarr reading to me all the way.

It's possible that my wife might become concerned about me spending so much time alone with Sara in the car, in which case I may just have to go back to the book. But I'm not too worried about that. Sara's not a big fantasy fiction fan, so it's unlikely that this read-aloud relationship would become a two-way thing. :)

Edited by Overstreet

I intend to begin 2009 by sharing my commute to and from work with Sara Zarr reading to me all the way.

It's possible that my wife might become concerned about me spending so much time alone with Sara in the car, in which case I may just have to go back to the book. But I'm not too worried about that. Sara's not a big fantasy fiction fan, so it's unlikely that this read-aloud relationship would become a two-way thing. :)

What will you tease me about when I get over my fantasy phobia and read one of yours? You'll be all out of material!

And Crow: thanks!

Edited by Sara Zarr

Thanks, Christian. (I always take "crushed me" is a compliment, though I know that's not the reading experience everyone wants.) Just the other day one friend told me he couldn't read more than a few chapters because "that was me, it still is me," in the way he related to Jenna/Jennifer. I've actually been surprised and blown away by how many people of all ages relate to that book.

Um... wow?

While Ashley Olsen doesn't appear to have any upcoming acting projects on the horizon, Mary-Kate is set to star in Daniel Barnz's "Beastly" as well as Laurie Collyer's "Story of a Girl" alongside Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick.

That's great news. Sara also posted a link to the new IMDB page last night on her twitter account:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699509/

Current cast list:

Kevin Bacon ... Michael

Mary-Kate Olsen ... Stacey

Kyra Sedgwick ... Debbie

Terrence Howard ... Ray

Congrats, Sara!

I finally read this a couple weeks ago, in one sitting, and really loved it. I'm so glad books like this are out there. Can't wait to see the movie version, which will hopefully result in more attention for the book.

Edited by Stephen Lamb

I finally read this a couple weeks ago, in one sitting, and really loved it. I'm so glad books like this are out there. Can't wait to see the movie version, which will hopefully result in more attention for the book.

Thankyou, thankyou. I'm excited to see what all comes out of this.

SZ

My thoughts on Sara's book Sweethearts, which has been mentioned in various threads, are quoted below. I draw your attention to this on Valentine's Day because Sweethearts is available for Kindle and Nook for just $1.99. I think the deal runs today only.

Seeing my thoughts, I realize I never read the paper-and-ink book, but listened to the audio version. Now I'm going to acquire the book -- but still not in paper and ink. :)

Just finished the audio of Sweethearts and am trying to watch one of the audiobook-related videos you linked to in the thread about your latest book, but it keeps freezing up.

Sweethearts pretty much crushed me. Again, the childhood trauma is not exactly my own experience, but I had other traumas and knew of kids -- one of my best friends for a while -- who, in retrospect, clearly lived in bad situations that I couldn't fully process at the time. After I moved, I kept in touch with another mutual friend, who told me this one friend would run away from home from time to time. I'd laugh about that, wondering why he'd run away. Just being selfish, I thought.

Now I know better. I wonder what, exactly, drove him to run away, but really, I don't think I want to know. I hope I'm more sensitive to the situations of my own kids' friends if something similar happens in their lives.

West coasters, the TV adaptation of Story of a Girl premieres tonight on Lifetime @ 8pm.