Come Early Morning

Has anyone seen Come Early Morning ? It's just arrived at our nearby indie theater.

84% fresh at RottenTomatoes.com

NY Times review, reprinted in Raleigh News & Observer (possibly some plot spoilers).

Sounds like the kind of movie FC2 critics might want to take a look at (IMHO, of course). If you liked Junebug, you might like this.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This film is now out on DVD, so I've seen it. I'd agree that the unsentimental tone is a strength, along with the understated performances by Diane Ladd, Pat Corley, Stacy Keach and, Ashley Judd. I thought she was fine in the role--but it's been a while since I've seen any of her other movies. Come Early Morning should also be added to the list of films with that include ministers as characters.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

I don't know why my last post is not registering as an actual reply. I'll try adding this one to encourage more people to see this film and/or rate it.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why my last post is not registering as an actual reply. I'll try adding this one to encourage more people to see this film and/or rate it.

I watched it last night. It was alright, if a little Lifetime-y. It had a fine cast that puts in yeoman's work. As far as the minister in the film, the actor (Ray McKinnon) also played the epileptic minister in the first season of Deadwood.

Stealing! How could you? Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain whats-his-name.

- Homer