Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

opus   

Here's the Wikipedia page, which includes a short premise: "In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture."

This project has been circulating for years, long enough for at least one early draft of the script to appear on the Web. If the finished product is anything like the draft -- yeah, I read some of it -- then this is going to be a truly massive story. Though I'm not sure I'd expect anything less from Cameron.

The Avatar wars have begun.

M. Night Shyamalan is apparently planning to adapt the Nickelodeon TV series Avatar: The Last Airbender into a 3 picture series for Paramount's MTV and Nickelodeon film divisions.

Story here.

Giovanni Ribisi has joined Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver in the cast of Avatar.

In other related news, Dreamworks has moved up the release date of Monsters vs. Aliens, from May 15th, 2009 to March 27th, 2009, so as not to compete with Avatar for 3D screen space. Avatar is set to be released on May 22, 2009.

Monsters Scared Off By Avatar

An pic of the crew T-shirt design, along with a silhoueete of the Na'vi creatures from Avatar can be seen here.

I tried uploading the image to this post, but it didn't want to cooperate.

Is this a first? I remember the overwhelming response for the first weekend that the trailer for The Phantom Menace caused when it was attached to the film Meet Joe Black. Many theatres actually showed the trailer before the film, and again after the end credits. But to have an online ticket distribution for a trailer (albeit a 16 minute 3D trailer) seems to be an original concept.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter)

So, who here has their preview tickets?

I'm a little miffed -- miffed, I say -- that Vancouver isn't even on the list of cities getting these screenings. By what rationale does Calgary merit an Avatar preview and Vancouver not?

There are apparently plenty of tickets still available in Seattle, so it's not like I couldn't do a three-hour drive each way and see this preview if I really wanted to. But, um, I don't think I really want to. Besides, I still haven't found/replaced my passport (which my kids were somehow able to hide from me when they snuck into one of the rooms that is forbidden to them late last year).

Oh, and should anyone at the studio be concerned that so many of these free preview tickets are still available, nearly 24 hours after the site distributing them went online? Isn't this movie supposed to be one of the most highly anticipated movies ever, at least among fanboys? Isn't it supposed to change the way Hollywood does things? If it takes more than a day to give these tickets away, what does that tell us?

Persona   

Trailer here.

It could go either way I suppose, but this is the first trailer I've seen, and it certainly looks cool.

Also, this should be of real interest in this forum. From Wikipedia:

Navi can refer to:

Navi (singular, Hebrew, plural: Nevi'im) refers to a (or the) prophet in the Hebrew Bible; similar in meaning to the Arabic word Nabi

Navi can also refer to the study of Nevi'im, the Books of Prophets, a traditional Hebrew reference to the study of that section in the Hebrew Bible.

But also:

The character Navi in the video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

and my personal favorite:

A pseudonym of a famous Michael Jackson impersonator from Essex, England.

Persona   
So, why does the website for the teaser trailer say "From the director of the 'Titanic'"? Would you say "From the director of the 'Star Wars'"?

I would imagine they want to capitalize on all those billions and billions of dollars Titanic made.

Oh darn, I exaggerated to Peter. OK -- not billions... :)

Persona wrote:

: Oh darn, I exaggerated to Peter. OK -- not billions... :)

Well, $1.8 billion is pretty close to $2 billion, which would be a plurality of billions.

Oh! and that refers to worldwide box-office only. Add VHS and DVD sales, to say nothing of soundtracks etc., and all the incoming revenue would easily be in the multiple billions. :)

Templar   
Well, $1.8 billion is pretty close to $2 billion, which would be a plurality of billions.

Oh! and that refers to worldwide box-office only. Add VHS and DVD sales, to say nothing of soundtracks etc., and all the incoming revenue would easily be in the multiple billions. :)

For a film that's basically a live-action/CGI Ferngully? I rather doubt that. :P

Templar wrote:

: For a film that's basically a live-action/CGI Ferngully? I rather doubt that. :P

I think Persona and I were both referring to Titanic. :)

From what I've seen and heard of James Cameron in interviews, I can't say I'm an admirer of the man himself, but I'm a fan of 4 Cameron films: Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, 3/4 of The Abyss, and maybe 1/4 of True Lies.

So I've been curious about Avatar since he first started talking about it.

I've watched the Avatar trailer several times now, waiting the "wow" that all of the buildup promised. The question I keep coming back to is: Why did they release this?

Buzz was building. People were intrigued. Cameron fanboys were getting very excited.

I'm not one to trust trailers at all. But if a trailer's job is to cultivate interest, well... this trailer doesn't work for me. My curiosity about the project dropped from, oh, a 6 on the buzz-meter to about a 1 today. I agree with whoever compared it to Ferngully. My first thought was Final Fantasy meets The Dark Crystal. It looks like a promo for a video game, not a movie.

I hope this is a case of a movie being so complex and rich that a trailer just can't capture it. Or, maybe they're smart enough to show us footage from the first fifteen minutes and nothing more. But I'm skeptical.

Meanwhile, as this week in trailers goes, I've become quite interested in The Wolfman (for the all-out camp factor), suddenly interested in Gentlemen Broncos (for the spoof of fantasy geekdom and fantasy author egomania), and even more impatient for the release of Where the Wild Things Are.

Persona   
oh, a 6 on the buzz-meter to about a 1

Jeffrey, did you watch it with your 3-D glasses on?

It sounds like a LOT of people aren't impressed with this trailer. This may turn out to be the most counter-productive teaser released by a major studio since that Super Bowl spot for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. I guess, to reverse the bad buzz, they'll have to cancel press screenings for everyone but a few select fanboys at AICN all over again. (Indeed, this particular movie is being released by Fox, which has never been all that critic-friendly to begin with.)

Or maybe those 16 minutes of footage that they're going to show in various IMAX theatres tomorrow will blow everyone's mind, and they released this teaser today to lower everyone's expectations in preparation for the big mind-blowing?

I agree

and honestly, I'm really dissapointed with the production quality, this film's gonna suck

Edited by Persiflage

Persona   

LOL

Anders   
From what I've seen and heard of James Cameron in interviews, I can't say I'm an admirer of the man himself, but I'm a fan of 4 Cameron films: Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, 3/4 of The Abyss, and maybe 1/4 of True Lies.

So what you're saying is you like at least part of all his feature films (non-documentary) except Titanic and Piranha 2 (which I'm not sure anyone *loves*)?

I look at that list -- I'm even a modest Titanic appreciator -- and I say I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt (will watch the trailer tonight when I get home, so I still haven't seen it). That's gotta be one of the most consistent filmographies I can think of. Especially among "genre" artists.

Also, does anyone remember the months leading up to Titanic (not that I'm thinking this is going to be a hit on that level)? Did *anyone* expect it to be a hit?