Cornerstone @007

Cornerstone 2007

Who's going? I'm going. I'm taking some young punks with me. We're going to have a good time and we're going to volunteer. Registration for that doesn't start till Febuary. I'll probably be first in line for that. So move to the back of the line. :D

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

• 3 months later...

Cool! My friend Kim Paffenroth is going to talk about zombies! His book Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth won the Horror Writers of America Stoker Award for non-fiction, and he recently published a zombie-themed novel, Dying to Live, which is well-received among people who like that sort of thing.

I know a college student who would LOVE the J-pop and horror/shlock themes of this year's Cornerstone. Wish I could think of a way to get him and his wife to Illinois...

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I'll be there this year, helping out with the Flickerings program.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 month later...

So, it is now official OOOOfficial, BII and I are going to CS. I'm volunteering full hours to cut my costs and just be involved in something as exciting as CS. What am I volunteering to do? Garbage truck drivaaaaaar! Yaaaay! I'm gonna love it! Thank you Jeeeeeesaaaaaaas! :D

BII is REALLY excited too.

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

Back in my Cornerstone heydays, where I was doing all manner of festival-related coverage for my website, my friend and I thought it'd be interesting to interview folks working "behind the scenes": coffeehouse workers, stagehands, the people who clean the Johnnies On The Spot, and the gardage truck crews.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Back in my Cornerstone heydays, where I was doing all manner of festival-related coverage for my website, my friend and I thought it'd be interesting to interview folks working "behind the scenes": coffeehouse workers, stagehands, the people who clean the Johnnies On The Spot, and the gardage truck crews.

GREATEST. PREGNANT. PAUSE. IN. A&F. HISTORY.

So, um, Jason -- was it interesting?

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

So, it is now official OOOOfficial, BII and I are going to CS. I'm volunteering full hours to cut my costs and just be involved in something as exciting as CS. What am I volunteering to do? Garbage truck drivaaaaaar! Yaaaay! I'm gonna love it! Thank you Jeeeeeesaaaaaaas! :D

Hey, it's better than cleaning the port-a-potties. :)

I'll wave as you're driving by.

I don't know... we never actually got around to doing it. :D

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Ha!

Crow said:

Hey, it's better than cleaning the port-a-potties.

I'll wave as you're driving by.

Well, the thing is, when I put in to volunteer I said that I would either like to pick up the performers at the airport, do garbage detail or be a stage hand. I really didn't want to work in the store or work in any capacity in which I had to handle money (you'll probably get gypped if you have me counting your money back. Not that I would be pocketing the money or anything like that...I'm an [-o< ) The reason I wanted to drive the performers was because I'm in the transpo business anyhoo. However, because insurance would not cover me off the property? They put me on driving the garbage truck instead. And the reason I'm driving is because I'm doing this for 8 hours (they can't have me jumping up and down outta that truck for that long. Most of the guys doing that are volunteering shorter amounts of time). So yeah, if any of you guys see me? Shout "Brandooooooo!!" and give me a wave! I'll wave back as this part of the reason I wanted to do garbage--I'll get to see all of you!

Brandon

My wife and I are making our return to Cornerstone this year after skipping last year so I could work on a film shoot and earn $$$. The Imaginarium program has me drooling, but I'm trying not to get too excited about it (or anything else at the fest), since we're also bringing our 20-month old son, who will be making his glorious C-stone debut. With him in tow, who knows just how much cool stuff I'll be forced to miss/leave early. Oh well - we tried to hire someone to come along and do some babysitting for us, but that didn't work out. Hope to see of you folks there. I'll be the ponytailed guy chasing the red-haired toddler.

JiM T

Find my twitchin' film reviews at Twitch

Pictures! Take lots of pictures!

Will do.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'm gonna paint the van. Gonna go nuts. You'll see me com'n down the highway MILES down the road. Call it a major advertising fetish. Should be there sometime in the evening tmw night. 8 or 9ish. Anyone want to call or text me while I'm there so we can hook up? PM me--I'll give ya my number.

Brandon

We're leaving this morning (probably as soon as I finish typing this). Safe travels to everyone who is on their way or will be soon -- and be sure to swing by Flickerings.

(I'll be the guy with the shaved head who is going on and on about "otaku.")

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

One day down, and so far, so good. As always, it's nice to meet the folks behind the avatars. Flickerings is off to a great start (I was very pleased with how well my presentation was received), and it looks like it's going to just get better. And who knows, Renae and I might even be able to take in a concert or two (we're hoping for Over The Rhine Thursday night).

FWIW, I've started writing about the fest.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Just got in today--drove through the night--living on 5 hours sleep altogether. Pulled over by the cops in Illinois 'cause the license plate light was out. Guess they don't have anything better to do in the middle of the night. Anyhoo...I should have some pics up on my flickr and myspace site within the next week or two. I enjoyed watching a couple of the Haibane Renmei films. I think Jason did an excellent job at Flickerings. When someone would make a comment or ask a question, Jason responded as thoroughly as he could and was humble enough to admit (quite frankly) that he did not have all the answers. Way to go man. Crow camped out next to me and we enjoyed a little chat or two over a cup of coffee or a hamburger but most of the time he was at the Imaginarium or Flickerings.

It was nice to get away from all of the headbanging music (though I really enjoyed the stage performance that Showbread put on, yet could not understand A-WORD that was screamed) and listen to Leigh Nash (former singer for Six Pence None the Richer) and Over the Rhine who played after Nash and started out their set with "Fever" (formerly sung by the likes of Elvis. All I could do is think of JO, HA!).

This guy had some interesting stuff. Plus I was hoping to see this bluesy grrrrr recording artist...Maron but couldn't because of prior commitments.

Brandon

Renae and I just got in about an hour or so ago.

All in all, Cornerstone 2007 was a fantastic time. It was very different than past festivals for me -- I wasn't camping out (we stayed in a hotel in Macomb), I wasn't alone (my wife came along, this being her first Cornerstone), and I wasn't a mere attendee (I was one of the presenters in Flickerings).

Since I was so busy at Flickerings, I didn't see too many shows, but the ones I did see -- The Winston Jazz Routine, State Bird, Slam Dunk -- were all good in their own ways.

Flickerings was a blast. So many great films (Train Man, Darkon, Kamikaze Girls, Linda Linda Linda), so many great discussions. Mike did just a wonderful job. I was especially excited with the way in which Haibane Renmei was received. A pretty good-sized crowd (at least 30 folks, spanning all age groups) came to watch all of the episodes, and I think it really impressed and surprised some folks.

I had many great conversations and interactions with Mike, Dave Canfield, J. Robert Parks, BBBCanada (thanks for the kind words), Crow, and a few other folks that I met for the first time this year.

And weather-wise, this was the best Cornerstone I've ever experienced. It rained a little bit the first day, but other than that, the weather was gorgeous. Not too hot during the day, and just cool enough at night to require a jacket.

Presentation? Something you can share?

I did the opening presentation at Flickerings, looking at "otaku"/Japanese pop culture and some of the reasons why Americans have become so drawn to, and influenced by, Japanese pop culture. Once things have quieted down here, I'll try to post my lecture in some form on Opus -- along with the rest of my Cornerstone thoughts, and of course, photos.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I had a great time at Cornerstone and enjoyed getting to meet Opus and BBCCanada, as well as meeting Mike Hertenstein and J Robert Parks again. Not to mention seeing other Cornerstone regulars I keep running into around there.

Flickerings was terrific, as it was last year and the year before that. A definite trend there. I've been watching a number of Miyazake films this month. Adding this to the films I saw at the fest, including Train Man Otoko, Kamikaze Girls, Linda Linda Linda, Only Yesterday, and especially Haibane Renmai; I'm really digging this J-Pop thing. I really appreciated Opus's seminar and learned a lot about Japanese films and how they relate to Japanese culture.

Somehow I managed to squeeze in seeing a few bands as well: the old standbys like Over the Rhine, Ping, and the Lost Dogs, as well as getting to check out some new ones like Photoside Cafe, Dark Romantics, and Leeland. After seeing a flurry of films and bands, as well as checking out some of the Prairie School of Writing seminar, I almost feel dizzy, in a good way. And tomorrow night I'm going to see the Police in concert, in tenth row seats! So I'm in some kind of overload right now. :)

I'll write up a more detailed recollection and post some pics when I get a chance to process it all.

Edited by Crow

My wife and I have both posted a bunch of phots to our Flickr accounts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/opuszine/sets...57600603282401/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsopus/sets/72157600605270090/

And my wife has photographic proof that I was a speaker this year!

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished writing up the journal of my Cornerstone experience and posted it on my web page here.

I surprised myself with how much I wrote/mused/rambled about this whole thing. I must have been trying to make up for not updating my blog in six months.

Edited by Crow

• 1 month later...

All my pics are up now here.

Jason, if you want to use/copy/link those pics of you at Flickerings go ahead.

Edited by BBBCanada

Brandon