Microsoft XBox 360

And I'm going to pick up Madden NFL '07 (primarily for my wife, actually!).

I bought Madden NFL '07 for Sara to play on the Playstation 3, and she's been spending a lot of time with it.

(FWIW, we went with xb360 over PS3 because of the xb's superior ability to scale high-def video...
Interesting. The Playstation 3 does a fantastic job of unconverting games and DVDs (I didn't realize that until we tested out a standard DVD on the Playstation. They look much better on the Sony Bravia LCD screen than through the progressive scan DVD player/recorder we have been using.) If XB360 is better than the Playstation, it must be really amazing.

...plus we didn't want an HD-DVD drive, so the overall cost was lower.)

It's actually a Blu-Ray drive on the Playstation, and it works great. I picked up a standard-looking DVD remote for the playstation at Target Saturday (it transmits by Bluetooth) and synced it up. When I put in a Blu-Ray movie, it looked/worked great!

FYI, Playstation 3s are rather easy to get at retail price now. I bought mine through Amazon on Thursday (they sold out again), but saw several in the display case at my local SuperTarget last Saturday. Those poor souls who recently purchased them to resell on eBay for big profits are going to be very fortunate to lose only $50-$100 dollars each on their Playstations.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Did you try the NCAA football? It's rated higher than Madden, but I'm more inclined to go with Madden...

I haven't had a chance to try it. All of my nephews wanted (and received) Madden for Xmas, so I decided to go with the teenaged boys opinion on the matter. :lol:

Now Sara can train on Madden so she can crush them at the next family get-together. She bested all of them at Dance Revolution at the last party... and she had never played it before. (The nephews need to know that their aunt has wicked skills.)

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Santa also brought me a 360 for Christmas. Along with Gears of War and NCAA 2k7 Basketball. While I've always been an EA guy when it comes to sports games, I have to say it looks like the 2k7 guys knocked it out of the park with this years basketball games.

However, I have to admit that I've pretty much spent 100% of my time on Gears of War so far. I don't even play the actual levels - I strictly play the multi-player online "teams" option. It's seriously a blast to play, especially if you know others to hook up with online to play with. But yes, it IS about as violent as it could get, though (IMO) in sort of a cartoonish way that doesn't end up bothering me so much personally.

If I had kids (well, actually I WILL in about 7 months - that was the BIG Christmas present from my wife this year!) I would be hesitant to let them play GoW, but not for the violence as much as the language that the other online players tend to use. It's like a competition of some sort to be as "macho" as possible with their language. Reminds me of an interview I heard with the creator of Deadwood about the logic behind the way his characters talked... Anyway, I've gone WAY OT now, so I'll summarize:

1) Get on Xbox Live! If you do, feel free to send me a friend request (same username).

2) Gears of War DOES live up to the hype, if you don't mind the violence.

3) I'm going to be a dad in 7 months!

4) Deadwood also has lots of bad language.

:)

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

• 2 weeks later...

Missed the earlier replies somehow...

Glad to hear your enjoying your xbox - I'm certainly enjoying mine as well. And yeah, the Live gold subscription is a MUST. But i will say in my experience the riff-raff are just as omni-present on gold as silver.

I accepted your friend request, though I don't think we currently have any of the same games. Maybe I'll get COD sometime...

Oh, and thanks for the congrats - good times, good times.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

• 2 months later...
...that way I can get a Mac for word processing and spreadsheets! :huh:

Whaaaa?!? :o Who are you, and what have you done with Alan? ;)

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The XBox 360 goes "elite", with HDMI, a 120Gb HD, and probably a few other things not in the announcement. Missing (IMHO): Built-in wireless (.11n, please); a TV tuner; Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive. I'd also expect some kind of tie-in to Zune and a direct music download service (rather than having to go through a PC as a "media extender", although the WM licenses do transfer) -- but it's still much cheaper than a PS3.

From the reports I've seen, the Elite is $479... only $20 less than the "low-end" PS3, and only $120 less than the top-end PS3. For the difference, you lose the pleasure of a built-in HD drive. While it does surpass the 30- and 60-GB hard drives in the PS3, the hard drives in the PS3 are designed to be user-replaceable. So in a year or two when terrabyte hard drives are down around $100-150, I'll just slip one in and massively leapfrog the XBox.

...that way I can get a Mac for word processing and spreadsheets! :huh:

Whaaaa?!? :o Who are you, and what have you done with Alan? ;)

Opinion: Why Microsoft should fear Apple

Agreed ... but not for the enterprise market. Heck, I told my wife to buy a Mac, and I'd consider it myself in a few years. But until Macs are as inexpensive and manageable in corporate use as Active-Directory-managed Windows PCs, they won't even get close.

I agree, except for execs who have the clout to get what they want and on the higher end of things where Apple has traditionally had an edge, like graphic design/layout, 3-D rendering, marketing, etc.