Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Amazing Race 11: All Stars

I liked the final task. It's toughness is seen in that only one team completed it. I'd have made the default time on it more than 10 minutes. It would have been good to have something more than a cab ride following that to finish. At least let them have to figure out the BART map.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Grrrr....

It was a great season, but another depressing outcome. Could've been worse, I suppose.

And hey, who knew Danielle was such a prayer warrior? ;)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Salon:

Even so, as they stood at the finish line, you could see it all over their faces: "Give me my half a million dollars so I can kiss this loser goodbye!" Which would have been a sad ending, if we weren't caught up in the gleeful sadistic joy of it all, having already laughed at Charla falling over in her tiny suit of shiny knight's armor, Dustin vomiting up Polish sausage (after which Eric yelled, "Ladies and gentlemen, Miss California!"), and Danny and Oswald asking for "forgiveness from the universe" right before they were eliminated.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Kind of a lame finish. As far as the final task goes, I give the producers credit for trying something different, that requires some mental skills, but it seemed too much like The Newleywed Game to me. I'd imagine the reason

Eric and Danielle

did so well was they spent the most time complaining to each other about the other teams. ;)

The kayaking was a great challenge though. But the whole thing did come down to a taxi ride at the end for a million dollars, which was disappointing.

I hate to say it, but

Eric and Danielle

did deserve to win, because they were the only team that actually completed the final task. They can take their million dollars, have a party, or open up a Hooters franchise or something. But please don't ever let them show up on TV again, in some E! channel series: Reality TV Stars, Where Are They Now? ::bluehaironend::

Dustin and Kandace

were classy to the end. Even when they spat, they do it with class. At least they'll have a lot of cool toys to play with. And I'm glad I won't have to hear any more self-congratulatory sermons from

Charla and Mirna

I was disappointed in the finish, but mainly because the wrong team won. And I thought it would have been difficult to find a less likeable person than Eric. Then I saw his brother. "Boy, have I got a spanking for you when you get home"???? What next, The Amazing Race, S&M Edition?

I felt bad for Dustin and Kandace. And Mirna and Charla actually emerged as semi-sympathetic figures. Mirna only told the cabbie to hurry about four times, and didn't use the Italian/Spanish accent once.

That wasn't Eric's brother, it was his former partner on the Race, Jeremy. And he showed as much dignity and class in that one scene as the two of them showed their entire Race together - that is, none. :)

I thought D&K did a great job, and their spat was well-handled, if misleadingly portrayed in the teasers. Kandice's "that's it, it's over" was not about their friendship or their team, but about the fight they were having! I loved Miss Alli's description of their fight, at Television Without Pity:

A watery Detour sends the BQs reeling into their very first fight ever, which winds up not making them look all that bad, since it sounds like a training video about productive conflict ("I am having my feelings hurt by you right now!" "I acknowledge your feelings, but am also frustrated myself!")

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Missed the whole episode, between making the fajitas and trying to put the child to bed.

We should get a team together and apply to compete. I think Alan & I would make an interesting pair. We could have on-camera debates about ethical issues, while demonstrating how to read maps and use public transportation.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Whatever happened to jam-packed, two-hour season finales? Last season flamed out with a whimper, too, with very little suspense and a predictable 1-2-3 finish. The "mind-reading" task in the vault wasn't bad, it just didn't belong as the final competition. So little suspense.

Overall, though, the season turned out better than it could have. Even though Eric & Danielle shouldn't have been an "all-star" team in the first place ...

We should get a team together and apply to compete. I think Alan & I would make an interesting pair. We could have on-camera debates about ethical issues, while demonstrating how to read maps and use public transportation.

Let's petition CBS for an all A&F edition. Do we have any supermodels hanging around here?

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I've modeled twice. Both for magazine shots to accompany food articles.

OK, I was writing for the magazine at the time.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Kind of a lame finish. As far as the final task goes, I give the producers credit for trying something different, that requires some mental skills, but it seemed too much like The Newleywed Game to me.

That is EXACTLY what I thought! Too funny.

Yes, this one fizzled out for me. The tasks in Hawaii were tough and interesting, but the final task was a bit lame, mainly because the teams flew in to the city for one ten minute task -- and they all arrived on the same flight. It must be tough to arrange detours and roadblocks that will leave the competitors reasonably close, creating the necessary dramatic tension... but this one sold us a bit short.

My suggestion? Let the fans pick the All Stars next time-- it would be a lot more interesting. And as disappointed as I was that Eric won, I was more relieved at knowing that Mirna had not. Dustin and Kandice are among the all-time greats, though, truly tough competitors. And in this race, the best don't always win.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

One more thing...

There was a commercial during the final for a new Phil Keoghan show -- one for Canadians. That's interesting to me, since I'm not eligible to appear in TAR...

It looks interesting, a 72-hour personal challenge. The show appears to have run in other countries, judging from the footage here: www.noopportunitywasted.ca. Might be fun to try it.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

USA Today sez:

Sunday's 11th-season finale of CBS reality series The Amazing Race (10.3 million) dropped from last fall's 12.7 million finish, but was up from last May's record-low 9 million season-ender.