Andrew

New and upcoming releases we're excited about

63 posts in this topic

October 2, 2012 - In Sunlight and In Shadow - by Mark Helprin

I'm standing up in my office, looking around for someone with whom I can celebrate this news. Alas, no one else within reach is a Helprin reader. Sigh.

I know the feeling. Also, I've been trying to find out something ... just a little more ... anything at all ... more about this book, but the info on Amazon seems to just about sum up all there is to know from any other google search at this point. If nothing else, we'll start getting more friends to start reading Helprin so that they can start looking forward to it as well.

Thanks for this list.

The Pelecanos book you mention is available as an ebook for 99 cents. I ordered it last month at at 12:05 AM on the twenty-third it hit my kindle. This was a treat, as Pelecanos is one of the few writers I usually buy in hardcover.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it as the first stop for those new to Pelecanos. Following last year's The Cut, the latest is more like a B-side. It is certainly essential for those who are already fans.

The other books on your list I am most excited about are the two from Boo and Robinson.

Alright, so I'll try and update this every 2-3 months or so. In March, of course, we get Marilynne Robinson's new book. And personally, I always really look forward to anything by Christopher Moore and his new comedy (concerning an old legend about Vincent van Gogh) arrives early in April. Since I updated the list last, I've just recently discovered that we also get new books from Junot Diaz, Dennis Lehane and Tom Wolfe this year.

March 1, 2012 - The Man Without A Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin - by Masha Gessen

March 6, 2012 - Enchantments: A Novel - by Kathryn Harrison

March 13, 2012 - When I Was a Child I Read Books: Essays - by Marilynne Robinson

March 13, 2012 - Imagine: How Creativity Works - by Jonah Lehrer

March 13, 2012 - Collected Poems - by Jack Gilbert

March 20, 2012 - The Sea Is My Brother: The Lost Novel - by Jack Kerouac

March 22, 2012 - Steinbeck in Vietnam: Dispatches from the War - by John Steinbeck

March 27, 2012 - New Collected Poems - by Wendell Berry

March 27, 2012 - The Complete Poems of Philip Larkin - by Philip Larkin

March 27, 2012 - When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God - by T.M. Luhrmann

April 1, 2012 - The Book of a Thousand Eyes - by Lyn Hejinian

April 3, 2012 - Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art - by Christopher Moore

April 3, 2012 - The Beginner's Goodbye - by Anne Tyler

April 5, 2012 - Love's Bonfire - by Tom Paulin

April 5, 2012 - The Apartment - by Greg Baxter

April 9, 2012 - The Social Conquest of the Earth - by Edward O. Wilson

April 17, 2012 - God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse - by Slavoj Zizek and Boris Gunjevic

April 17, 2012 - A Thousand Times More Fair: What Shakespeare's Plays Teach Us About Justice - by Kenji Yoshino

April 24, 2012 - Farther Away: Essays - by Jonathan Franzen

April 24, 2012 - What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets - by Michael J. Sandel

Edited by Persiflage

Thanks for the update. I am a completest for Robinson, Llosa, Diaz, Chabon and Lehane.

Going through my wish-list on Amazon, it appears that there's a couple of books I'm looking out for:

17-Apr: God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse by Žižek et al.

15-May: The Church and its Reign by Giorgio Agamben

22-May: Less than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism by Slavoj Žižek

29-May: The Event of Literature by Terry Eagleton

11-July: Post-Postmodernism: or, the Logic of Just-In-Time Capitalism by Jeffrey Nealon

17-July: Creole Belle by James Lee Burke

24-July: Marx and Freud in Latin America: Politics, Psychoanalysis, and Religion in Times of Terror by Bruno Bosteels

2-October: This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong

27-November: Both Flesh and Not: Essays by David Foster Wallace

...not that I'll get all of 'em (except for the bolded ones--those are virtually certain). But they're on my radar.

[There should also be a David Peace later this year, but there's no info out on it yet]

Edited by NBooth

May 1, 2012 - The Origins of Sex: A History of the First Sexual Revolution - by Faramerz Dabhoiwala

May 8, 2012 - They Eat Puppies, Don't They? - by Christopher Buckley

May 15, 2012 - The Blood of Heroes - by James Donovan

May 15, 2012 - The Church and Its Reign - by Giorgio Agamben

May 15, 2012 - The Long-Legged House - by Wendell Berry (reprint)

May 15, 2012 - A Continuous Harmony: Essays Cultural and Agricultural - by Wendell Berry (reprint)

May 22, 2012 - Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism - by Slavoj Zizek

May 29, 2012 - The Event of Literature - by Terry Eagleton

May 29, 2012 - The Life of William Shakespeare: A Critical Biography - by Lois Potter

May 31, 2012 - Sacred and Profane: God, Man and World - by Roger Scruton

May 31, 2012 - The Dead Man's Pedal - by Alan Warner

June 1, 2012 - God and Charles Dickens - by Gary L. Colledge

June 5, 2012 - The Dream of the Celt - Mario Vargas Llosa

June 5, 2012 - The Second World War - by Antony Beevor

June 11, 2012 - Capital: A Novel - by John Lanchester

June 19, 2012 - Skios: A Novel - by Michael Frayn

June 24, 2012 - Marx and Freud in Latin America: Politics, Psychoanalysis, and Religion in Times of Terror - by Bruno Bosteels

July 10, 2012 - The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln - by Stephen L. Carter

July 11, 2012 - Post-Postmodernism: or, The Cultural Logic of Just-in-Time Capitalism - by Jeffrey Nealon

July 12, 2012 - Raphael: A Happy Life - by Antonio Forcellino

August 1, 2012 - Edmund Spenser: A Life - by Andrew Hadfield

August 2, 2012 - Theatres of Memory: Past and Present in Contemporary Culture - by Raphael Samuel

August 7, 2012 - Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City - by Timothy Keller

August 7, 2012 - The Rise of Rome: The Making of the World's Greatest Empire - by Anthony Everitt

August 14, 2012 - In Stalin's Secret Service - by W.G. Krivitsky

August 20, 2012 - Devotion and Defiance: My Fight for Justice for Women - by Humaira Awais Shahid

August 21, 2012 - Horace: A Life - by Peter Levi

August 21, 2012 - Lionel Asbo: The State of England - by Martin Amis

August 28, 2012 - Shakespeare's History Plays: Rethinking Historicism - by Neema Parvini

August 28, 2012 - The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton - by Lucille Clifton

August 28, 2012 - Thrall: Poems - by Natasha Trethewey

Edited by Persiflage

June 14 - A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion - by Ron Hansen

Did anyone read this? I don't recall any discussion here. GoodReads tells me that the book is now out in paperback.

Here's another: Return of the Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (6 November 2012)

September 1, 2012 - After Tocqueville: The Promise and Failure of Democracy - by Chilton Williamson Jr.

September 4, 2012 - Inventing the Enemy: Essays - by Umberto Eco

September 4, 2012 - NW: A Novel - by Zadie Smith

September 4, 2012 - Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense - by Francis Spufford

September 4, 2012 - John Saturnall's Feast - by Lawrence Norfolk

September 11, 2012 - This Is How You Lose Her - by Junot Diaz

September 11, 2012 - Telegraph Avenue - by Michael Chabon

September 11, 2012 - We the Animals - by Justin Torres

September 18, 2012 - Joseph Anton: A Memoir - by Salman Rushdie

September 18, 2012 - Finding My Elegy: New and Selected Poems - by Ursula K. Le Guin

September 27, 2012 - The Casual Vacancy - by J.K. Rowling

September 27, 2012 - May We Be Forgiven - by A.M. Holmes

September 30, 2012 - It Didn't Have to Be This Way - by Harry C. Veryser

October 2, 2012 - In Sunlight and In Shadow - by Mark Helprin

October 2, 2012 - Live By Night - by Dennis Lehane

October 2, 2012 - Toby's Room - by Pat Barker

October 2, 2012 - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - by Robin Sloan

October 2, 2012 - The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity - by Steven Strogatz

October 2, 2012 - This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It - by David Wong

October 9, 2012 - Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen - by Mary Sharratt

October 9, 2012 - Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher - by Timothy Egan

October 9, 2012 - Care of Wooden Floors - by Will Wiles

October 11, 2012 - There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra - by Chinua Achebe

October 16, 2012 - Zoo Time - by Howard Jacobson

October 23, 2012 - Back to Blood: A Novel - by Tom Wolfe

October 23, 2012 - The Selvege: Poems - by Linda Gregerson

October 25, 2012 - History and the Human Condition: A Historian's Pursuit of Knowledge - by John Lukacs

October 30, 2012 - Francis of Assisi: The Life and Afterlife of a Medieval Saint - by Andre Vauchez

October 30, 2012 - A Year of Biblical Womanhood - by Rachel Held Evans

November 1, 2012 - New Waves in Cinema - by Sean Martin

November 6, 2012 - Return of the Thin Man - by Dashiell Hammett

November 6, 2012 - Both Flesh and Not: Essays - by David Foster Wallace

November 6, 2012 - The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill - Defender of the Realm - by William Manchester & Paul Reid

November 13, 2012 - Sweet Tooth: A Novel - by Ian McEwan

November 13, 2012 - From Germany to Germany: Diary 1990 - by Gunter Grass

November 20, 2012 - Christmas at Eagle Pond - by Donald Hall

November 27, 2012 - Child Made of Sand: Poems - by Thomas Lux

December 19, 2012 - Chesterton on Shakespeare - edited by Dale Ahlquist

Edited by J.A.A. Purves

Jan. 3: Mastermind: How to Think like Sherlock Holmes by Maria Konnikova.The title's kitschy, but the selections that have been published online have me interested. [EDIT: I see you've listed it. Consider this a "me too," then]

Jan. 15: Ellery Queen: The Art of Detection by Francis Nevins. Nevins wrote the book (in every sense of the solitary the) on Ellery Queen, Royal Bloodline, back in 1973. This looks to be an expansion of the older work. It's not on Amazon yet, but it's available for pre-order through CreateSpace. So, yes, POD, but with the dearth of Queen-studies, I'll take what I can get. And Royal Bloodline is really good.

June 4: Joyland by Stephen King. His latest for Hard Case Crime.

Still holding out hope for David Peace to release Tokyo Regained this year, so I'll mention it here.

Edited by NBooth

The Millions posts a list of anticipated books for 2013. I've just skimmed the list, but a couple caught my eye:

Feb. 5: The Love Song of Jonny Valentine, Teddy Wayne

March 19: The Tragedy of Mister Morn, Vladimir Nabokov

June 4: TransAtlantic, Colum McCann (author of Let the Great World Spin, which is mentioned here)

The Millions posts a list of anticipated books for 2013. I've just skimmed the list, but a couple caught my eye:

Fantastic. The Millions continues to be one of the best sources around for news on authors who can actually write.

Fantastic. The Millions continues to be one of the best sources around for news on authors who can actually write.

Agreed. I generally keep up with 'The Millions' pretty closely--even if I don't read the books they recommend, it's good to know what's in the air.

August: Red or Dead by David Peace.

Updated:

3/1 - Better Food for a Better World - by Erin McGraw

3/5 - In Partial Disgrace - by Charles Newman

3/12 - A Country of Marriage: Poems - by Wendell Berry - republishing

3/12 - Middle C - by William H. Gass

3/12 - Intellectuals and Race - by Thomas Sowell

3/19 - The Tragedy of Mr. Morn - by Vladimir Nabakov - translation

3/19 - Democracy in Retreat - by Joshua Kurlantzick

3/19 - Speedboat - by Renata Adler - republishing

3/21 - The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards: A Novel - by Kristopher Jansma

4/2 - My Bright Abyss: Meditation of a Modern Believer - by Christian Wiman

4/2 - All That Is - by James Salter

4/9 - The Little Way of Ruthie Leming: A Southern Girl, a Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life - by Rod Dreher

4/9 - Cairo: Memoir of a City Transformed - by Ahdaf Soueif

4/9 - The Way of the Knife: The CIA, a Secret Army, and War at the Ends of the Earth - by Mark Mazzetti

4/16 - The Return of a King: Shah Shuja and the First Battle for Afghanistan - by William Dalrymple

4/18 - Beyond War: Reimagining American Influence in a New Middle East - by David Rohde

4/18 - The Dark Road - by Ma Jian - translation

4/30 - Words for Readers and Writers: Spirit Pooled Dialogues - by Larry Woiwode

4/30 - Bough Down - by Karen Green

5/14 - The Savior Generals - by Victor Davis Hanson

5/15 - Vincent of Lerins and the Development of Christian Doctrine - by Thomas G. Guarino

5/21 - And the Mountains Echoed - by Khaled Hosseini

5/21 - The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America - by George Packer

5/23 - The Fall of Arthur - by J.R.R. Tolkien

5/26 - Presidential Leadership and the Creation of the American Era - by Joseph S. Nye

I haven't read this book and don't know anything about the author, so I won't launch a dedicated thread. But I wanted to point to Michael Dirda's rave review in today's paper, and highlight a couple of God-related passages that caught my eye:

The book’s protagonist, Joseph Skizzen, is the son of an Austrian couple who, in the 1930s, pretend to be Jews so they can escape to a new life in England. ...

Whether he helps out in a music store, attends a Christian community college, works in a library or lands a job as a teacher, Joseph lives a hidden life. He has no friends, no lovers, few possessions. ...

Annoyed at how people always “excuse” God, Gass here writes, “A tornado might trash a trailer park and the poor wretches who survived would thank him for sparing them, as well as preserving a children’s plate and one photo of the family grinning at the Falls as if they’d pushed the water over by themselves.” ...

Early in the novel there is a throwaway reference to the Laodiceans, who, St. Paul tells us, were lukewarm in their religious convictions, “neither hot nor cold.” “Nobody,” Joseph says, “has worked harder to get nowhere than I have.”

I don't know if Gass himself has religious or antireligious views, but the book sounds like an interesting character study. Dirda is amazed at Gass' ability with words.

June 4: Joyland by Stephen King. His latest for Hard Case Crime.

I'm about halfway in. It's alright.

Updated:

9/1 - Dealing with China: An Insider Unmasks the New Economic Superpower - by Henry M. Paulson

9/3 - The Childhood of Jesus - by J.M. Coetzee

9/10 - Enon - by Paul Harding
9/10 - Dissident Gardens - by Jonathan Lethem
9/10 - Someone: A Novel - by Alice McDermott
9/15 - Socrates' Children: Vol. I: Ancient - The 100 Greatest Philosophers - by Peter Kreeft
9/15 - Socrates' Children: Vol. II: Medieval - The 100 Greatest Philosophers - by Peter Kreeft
9/17 - Bleeding Edge - by Thomas Pynchon

9/23 - Hawthorne & Child - by Keith Ridgway

9/23 - The Letters of Ernest Hemingway: Volume 2, 1923-1925 - by Ernest Hemingway

9/24 - The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss - by David Bentley Hart
9/24 - Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War - by Max Hastings

9/30 - The Book of Common Prayer: A Biography - by Alan Jacobs

10/1 - The Kraus Project: Essays by Karl Kraus - translated by Jonathan Franzen
10/8 - The Double - by George Pelecanos
10/15 - This Day: New and Collected Sabbath Poems 1979-2012 - by Wendell Berry

10/15 - The Traymore Rooms: A Novel in Five Parts - by Norm Siburn
10/23 - The Collected Poems of Denise Levertov - by Denise Levertov
10/29 - The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914 - by Margaret MacMillan
11/1 - Paul and the Faithfulness of God: Volumes I-II: Christian Origins and the Question of God - by N.T. Wright
11/12 - The Book of Legendary Lands - by Umberto Eco

11/12 - A Prayer Journal - by Flannery O'Connor

1/7 - Mood Indigo: A Novel - by Boris Vian (translated by Stanley Chapman)

1/7 - Leaving the Sea: Stories - by Ben Marcus

1/7 - Little Failure: A Memoir - by Gary Shteyngart

2/1 - Broken Hierarchies: Poems 1952-2012 - by Geoffrey Hill

4/15 - Trace - by Simone Muench

4/22 - The Serpent of Venice - by Christopher Moore

5/6 - But Enough About You: Essays - by Christopher Buckley

The Kraus Project is one book I am downright eager not to read.