Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

Who's who among visual artists of faith

From the thread Mass Production:

I recently started an online Christian art gallery and reproduction workshop. I'm wondering who the stars of Christian fine art are at the moment. I'd love to get some of them involved in our project. Thanks!

Even though I do this myself from time to time on my blog I don't really like defining people in these kinds of terms. Our egos are inflated enough as it is ;)

But I'll bite:

Makoto Fujimura, who probably has the best chance of "crossing over" right now. That is, his work is readily accepted, as I understand it, even among much (not all) of the "secular" art community.

Sandra Bowden, president of CIVA.

He Qi, a Chinese painter.

Edward Knippers, figure painting.

For starters . . .

Adding: Oh, and if you're making prints you ought to look into the drawings of Lilias Trotter. While I'm an advocate of original works and not all that fond of prints in some respects, her work is known of very little

Edited by Chashab

or grab the newest civa directory -

i'll vote for (in addition to)

tim hawkinson

lynn aldrich

tim rollins + KOS

Which is what Alan suggested in the other thread . . .

. . . however, there are a few of us out here who

Which is what Alan suggested in the other thread . . .

. . . however, there are a few of us out here who

Oh, man -- I second the nod to Lilias Trotter. I only found out about her a few months ago and flipped for her book Parables of the Cross; I've been trying to buy it on eBay, but they can be pricey. It's an amazing piece of work from a missionary in the 30's -- not the type of thing being produced anymore. (Hmmm, just noticed that there is an auction in the UK with a watercolor by her on eBay right now.)

One of the most ambitious visual arts projects I've encountered recently (in a Christian setting, at least) has to be the massive statue of Elijah and Elisha being carved right now at Southern University. Carved from over 100 tons of Barre granite, it will symbolize the transfer of 'important things' from one generation to another. Read more here and here. The artist is Wayne Hazen.

concept%20drawing.11.03.jpg

83-ton%20blocksmall.JPG

Edited by Tim Willson

i's also add erica grimm-vance

I'll see your Erica Grimm-Vance and raise you David Robinson.

-Both of these were professors of mine at Trinity Western Unversity. Not only are they both amazing, first class artists, they are good/challenging teachers too. (I've also been a model for Erica...some of those bodies straining for transcendence are me! ha.)

I'd also add Mary McCleary. I didn't love her collages at first but the googly-eye grids laid over contemporized biblical scenes are a surprising and brilliantly innovative way to picture omniscience and activate conscience.

Oh yeah, Barry Moser has some dang good illustrations too.

Oh, man -- I second the nod to Lilias Trotter. I only found out about her a few months ago and flipped for her book Parables of the Cross; I've been trying to buy it on eBay, but they can be pricey. It's an amazing piece of work from a missionary in the 30's -- not the type of thing being produced anymore. (Hmmm, just noticed that there is an auction in the UK with a watercolor by her on eBay right now.)

Wow, someone has something of hers to SELL??? I figured all of her stuff was in her journals at this point and under lock and key. Do you have a link to this auction??? I'd be really interested to know what it goes for, and what this piece looks like . . .

yes - i quite enjoy robinson. there are several galleries here in alberta that carry his work. lovely.

yes - i quite enjoy robinson. there are several galleries here in alberta that carry his work. lovely.

What's the scoop on this guy? Actually a Xian? No artist statement or the like on his website . . .

Wow, someone has something of hers to SELL??? ...Do you have a link to this auction??? I'd be really interested to know what it goes for, and what this piece looks like . . .

Here. It's not a great piece, but it was from when she was young, apparently.

1000_1_md.jpg

there are several galleries here in alberta that carry his work.

??!

You're in Alberta, techne? Whereabouts?

What's the scoop on this guy? Actually a Xian? No artist statement or the like on his website . . .

He has a few statements in the "resources" section of his site. This statement in particular gives a good idea of his relationship with the church and the role his faith plays in his art. It is insightful and well-written.

Wow, someone has something of hers to SELL??? ...Do you have a link to this auction??? I'd be really interested to know what it goes for, and what this piece looks like . . .

1000_1_md.jpg

Dang! Wish I had some money to bid on something like that!!!

I'm reading the bio of Trotter (A Passion for the Impossible) presently, something I should have done years ago. I'd be really intersted to know WHEN this one was painted (and, yes, it's not one of her best that I've seen by any stretch) but it doesn't seem to say anywhere.

quote]

??!

You're in Alberta, techne? Whereabouts?

Canmore? Sure. I'm in Edmonton, and I have lots of happy memories in the Banff area. Camped there last summer. What a great place to live -- and not a bad art scene too, I think, esp. music, correct?

1000_1_md.jpg

According to a comment in my blog, the painting sold for 675 pounds.

Edited by Chashab

I just encountered this intriguing artist (bumped into her name on a list of "Famous Lutherans"): Alexandra Nechita.

She gained prominence as a child, and now 21, she is heading up a major arts initiative for the UN. When she was little, she was dubbed the Petite Picasso, for obvious reasons.

angels_glow_in_the_dark.jpg

Angels Glow in the Dark, 1998

Her faith isn't worn on her sleeve, but sems to emerge in her work, at least from the few articles I've looked through tonight.

I just encountered this intriguing artist (bumped into her name on a list of "Famous Lutherans"): Alexandra Nechita.

She gained prominence as a child, and now 21, she is heading up a major arts initiative for the UN. When she was little, she was dubbed the Petite Picasso, for obvious reasons.

angels_glow_in_the_dark.jpg

Angels Glow in the Dark, 1998

Her faith isn't worn on her sleeve, but sems to emerge in her work, at least from the few articles I've looked through tonight.

Wow, thanks for bringing her to our attention . . .

. . . and dare I digress, but does her work not have a certain intellectual and emotional (right words?) maturity I just don't see in Akaine? I say this even though I don't like Alexandra's works that much, personally, either . . .

You know, I thought of Akiane when I ran across Alexandra's story, but it didn't occur to me until you said it that there really is a fairly wide gap between these artists, or at least the ideas behind their work. One is an astonishing technical image maker whose paintings have been well done, but not much more than that; the other is expressing more complex ideas and emotions, and is doing it through strong compositional and color choices. That's not to be unkind to Akiane's work, but you're right, it takes time to encounter and wrestle with big ideas, and perhaps it's asking too much to expect depth from a young artist. Maturity is likely a good word.

Hi St Mars-

Thanks for dropping in to this discussion. Some skilled artists on your site, but I felt a bit lost. Without looking through each profile, it appears that these are mainly comic book artists, and it appears only some of them would identify as people of faith.

That's not a judgment as much as an appeal for a bit of help -- given the volume of artists on your site, which ones exemplify the type of artist we've been discussing here: outstanding creative people who are seeking to integrate faith and art, people whose Christianity is given expression through visual arts? Are there several names that could narrow the field for me?

And, as someone who has clearly thought a lot more about this field than I have, who are the other artists (not necessarily from your site) that you think we should know about?

tim lowly - i just read an article about him in an american artist drawing issue - summer 2006. powerful moving pencil sketches about his relationship with his brain damaged daughter. brought tears to my eyes. i had been familiar with his paintings but not his drawings.

maybe this is cheating. or too overwhelming but here is the list of artists featured in The Next Generation: Contemporary Expressions of Faith. A handful have already been mentioned. I'll put stars by those whose work I know reasonably well, and agree that it is worthy to be mentioned in this thread.

Lynn Aldrich

Doris Hutton Auxier*

Aaron Lee Benson

David Blow

G. Carol Bomer

Sandra Bowden*

Michael R. Buesking

Guy Chase

Theresa Couture

Tyrus Clutter

James Disney

Ruth Dunkell

Robert P. Eustace

Roger Feldman* (though I haven't yet experienced it in the round...)

Christine A. Forsythe

Donald J. Forsythe

Makoto Fujimura*

Erica Grimm-Vance*

Paul Hebblethwaite

Bruce Herman

Kathy Hettinga

Christine Huck

Gregory King

Edward Knippers*

James Larson

David E. Levine

Serge J-F Levy

Stewart Luckman

Mary Fielding McCleary*

Michael Mills

Ellie Murphy

Anita Breitenberg Naylor

John Reid Perkins-Buzo

Theodore L. Prescott

Rosemary Scott-Fishburn

Joel Sheesley*

Peter Sheesley

Houben Tcherkelov

Dee VanDyke

Melanie Weaver*

Bruce West

George Wingate

Laurie Wohl

Helen Zajkowski

I also might add video artist Kent Anderson Butler

maybe this is cheating. or too overwhelming but here is the list of artists featured in The Next Generation: Contemporary Expressions of Faith. A handful have already been mentioned. I'll put stars by those whose work I know reasonably well, and agree that it is worthy to be mentioned in this thread.

Dang! I've seen lists before but not one that long. Good resource for me, thanks. I recognize some of the names on the list . . .