Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Inquiry / The Final Inquiry

Apparently we don't have a thread devoted to this yet.

Back in December, I posted a blog item on a brand new remake of The Inquiry, which just happens to star Hristo Shopov as Pilate -- which is kinda fitting, since Shopov played Pilate in The Passion of the Christ (2004). (In the original 1986 film, Pilate was played by Harvey Keitel, two years before he would go on to play Judas in The Last Temptation of Christ.)

Now, it looks like FoxFaith has picked up the film and plans to release it on Good Friday (April 6) under a new title, The Final Inquiry.

That, or FoxFaith is releasing a film with a verrrrrrry similar storyline.

Either way, will this film steal any of the thunder from Tim LaHaye's / Screen Gems' The Resurrection, which is currently due for a release next year?

And what's with the "finality" of all these FoxFaith titles? The Last Sin Eater, The Ultimate Gift, The Final Inquiry ...

FWIW, I just got a screener, and yup, it's the same film. I haven't actually WATCHED the film yet, but the label on the DVD says "The Final Inquiry", but the title onscreen says "The Inquiry", and the actor who appears in the opening scene is listed in that role at the IMDB, so...

And what's with the "finality" of all these FoxFaith titles? The Last Sin Eater, The Ultimate Gift, The Final Inquiry ...

An implicit promise that there won't be a string of sequels?

Watched the screener last night. Called the publicist today to ask a question or two. Discovered that the film is no longer opening April 6 -- if you go to the FoxFaithMovies.com website now, The Final Inquiry is simply listed as "Coming Soon". Hmmm.

Meanwhile, did you know Penelope Cruz's sister plays Tabitha in this film?

Oh, and re: connections between this film and The Passion: Not only does Hristo Shopov reprise his role as Pilate (and a rather different take on Pilate it is). Christo Jivkov, who played the apostle John in Mel Gibson's film, plays the first martyr Stephen in this one. Which makes it kind of odd when the film shows flashbacks to the crucifixion, and you find some OTHER actor standing next to the women at the foot of the cross.

It looks like Fox Faith Movies, the theatrical distribution arm of Fox Faith, is dead ... if you go to foxfaithmovies.com, you are automatically redirected to foxfaith.com, which is the website for their DVD distribution. And lo and behold, The Final Inquiry is listed there for a DVD release on February 19.

I just picked up a copy of the Final Inquiry and it is a good film. I heard aboutthe Italian film a couple of years ago. You're right, it does look like Penelope Cruz on the cover!

Honestly, the acting (sorry Dolph!) is okay but the plotline is what intriqued me in the first place and kept me watching.

Can you imagine being the Emperor at that time and being responsible (kinda) for putting the messiah to death?