Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

The Dark Tower

46 posts in this topic

I figured that would happen. THE DARK TOWER isn't a smart bet for a studio.

I'm pretty relieved at reading this. The way in which they intended to roll this project out was one of the most convoluted ideas I'd ever heard of. Perhaps down the road they can go the Game of Thrones route.

This thing ain't dead yet.

We spoke to Brian Grazer during the “
Tower Heist
” press rounds today, and while we could only score a few moments with the prolific producer, he did inform us that the budget has been shaved way back, possibly to the project’s benefit. “We found a way to cut out $45 million out of the budget without changing the scope and actually giving it a good ending,” Grazer said, suggesting a heavily re-worked approach. “In the $140 million draft, the ending wasn’t quite as satisfying. Now, we’ve got $45 million, $50 million out of the way and a really satisfying ending. It’s gonna get made.”

What isn’t clear is if Grazer is talking about the first, or the only installment. Have they scaled back the budget to least get the first film out the door or has the vision been changed to focus on one story in the larger universe of King’s eight book series? We’re guessing with Grazer saying that they’ve done it “without changing the scope,” it’s the former rather than the latter.

What, all the bid-budget misfires like JOHN CARTER haven't scared execs off of this one yet? Even though, like COWBOYS & ALIENS and JOHN CARTER, this film blends Western with Sci-Fi?

This project has Bad Idea written all over it.

Warner Bros Has ‘Dark Tower’ Decision Looming: And Russell Crowe Is In The Mix

EXCLUSIVE: I’m told that Warner Bros is getting a new script from Akiva Goldsman for the first installment of Stephen King’s mammoth Western The Dark Tower, and that within two weeks, the studio will be making a decision on whether to green light the first leg of one of the most daring and ambitious projects to come along since The Lord Of The Rings. And here is a new wrinkle to add to the mix. Javier Bardem is no longer in the mix as gunslinger Roland Deschain. I’m told that director Ron Howard and producers Brian Grazer and Goldsman have been talking with their A Beautiful Mind star Russell Crowe about playing Deschain. While there is no deal with Crowe, that is the star that Warner Bros will be evaluating as the studio decides on whether to take a leap on a nine-volume book that has a huge following, with Howard, King and their partners planning a multi-platform presentation that could be unforgettable. The story will be told through three films and two limited run TV series. . . .

Deadline.com, August 2

I finished the Dark Tower series over the summer. It's an interesting theoretical exercise to figure who'd be a good actor to play Roland. Russell Crowe is probably, IMHO, exactly the opposite type, because he is well known for playing characters whose dreams drive their motivations, whereas Roland is singularly unimaginative and is driven by his ingrained sense of honor. My favorites for the role would be either Denzel Washington or Liam Neeson, either of whom would do an excellent job of showing Roland's decisive, somewhat fatalistic sides, and could bring the flashes of humor that humanize him.

Edited by David Smedberg

Warner Bros. passing on Imagine's 'Dark Tower'

The ambitious journey of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" book series to the bigscreen and TV has hit another setback, as Warner Bros., which had been in talks to take it on after Universal let it go, has also decided to not move forward. . . .

Imagine is still able to take the project back out to other studios, but this latest news is a blow to the film's future -- when Universal first let go of the film, most insiders around town believed WB was its best chance of getting made. . . .

Variety, August 20

Resurrected again.

Stephen King’s The Dark Tower is getting another shot at the big-screen, this time with Sony and MRC.

The two companies are teaming up to produce and co-finance what Sony hopes will be an epic franchise property that will combine a movie series and a complimentary TV series.

King's Western-style fantasy series is set mostly in an alternate world that's heavy on magic and centers on a man who is part of a knightly order of gunslingers.

Akiva Goldsman, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins, who have been trying to mount the project for close to a decade, are producing.

The project has a new script co-written by Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Insiders say the new script, which adapts the first book of the series, Gunslinger, has been totally reconceived by the duo from the version that had been previously developed.

Now the hunt begins for a filmmaker to sit in the director’s chair.

Edited by Tyler

I'm as dubious about the whole Movie series/TV series concept, as I was about New Shimmer - the floor wax that's also a dessert topping.

snl-109_4.jpg

Directed by Nikolaj Arcel?

Arcel co-scripted the Swedish version of the Stieg Larsson novel The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and then directed the well received A Royal Affair, which starred Mads Mikkelsen and Alicia Vikander and was Oscar nominated for Best Foreign Film. He is separately attached to direct an adaptation of Don Winslow’s seminal bestselling novel The Power of the Dog, and to a DreamWorks and Working Title adaptation of the Daphne Du Maurier novel Rebecca. Arcel, when he was getting going in Denmark, taught himself to speak and read English in order to consume Stephen King’s books in the writer’s native tongue.

Sony announced today that this film will come out January 13, 2017. That's the weekend that has normally, of late, been reserved for hoo-rah true-life military movies (2013's Zero Dark Thirty, 2014's Lone Survivor, 2015's American Sniper, 2016's 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi).

What I've been hearing about the script for this movie is not encouraging.

Details on the TV series.

Elba has signed on to appear as older Roland alongside Tom Taylor, 15, who plays Jake Chambers in the film, a boy from present-day New York who harbors a secret, psychic power and is grappling with visions of the tower and the men (and other creatures) who are trying to reach it.

That duo will serve as the framing device for the show’s central story, which takes place many years before the events depicted in the film. Since the series will be Roland’s origin story, a younger actor will be cast to play the aspiring gunslinger as a teenager, back before the realm of Mid-World “moved on” into chaos and bloodshed.

Edited by NBooth

New release date: August 4, 2017.

I can't remember anything about this book series except that some character had an African-American girlfriend (and even that I'm unsure of).  I don't remember a kid at all.  Is this looking anything like the book?

They're not doing a straight adaptation. It's more of a sequel/remix.