Peter T Chattaway

Justice League

Zack Snyder says his Superman movie will not be connected to this Justice League movie: "It's like what Chris Nolan [is doing] and what I'm doing with Superman, what they'll do with Justice League will be just its own thing with its own Batman and its own Superman. And so we'll be over here with our movie, so they kinda get to do it twice, which is kinda cool."

I find that hard to believe, but anyhoo.

Hot scribe pushing 'Justice League' at Warner Bros.

While Disney and Marvel were busy shooting "The Avengers" last year, Warner Brothers quietly began getting its own all-star superhero pic back on track, tapping "Gangster Squad" scribe Will Beall to write "Justice League," based on the WB-controlled stable of DC Comics superheroes.

Warner Bros. had no comment on the top-secret hire, which, due to its timing, was more in anticipation of -- rather than a reaction to -- the box office success of "The Avengers."

Beall has yet to turn in his "Justice League" script, though he has become a favorite scribe of Warners. He's writing the studio's "Lethal Weapon" reboot and its remake of "Logan's Run," which is expected to reteam "Gangster Squad" thesp Ryan Gosling with his "Drive" director Nicolas Winding Refn. . . .

Variety, June 5

Warner's super vision

Until Warner Bros. assembles its creative team around a "Justice League" movie, the studio and DC Entertainment are focusing on getting audiences used to seeing the group's superheroes together in other ways.

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash already appear in Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's "Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes," released in June, and will reunite for the videogame division's "Injustice: Gods Among Us," out next year.

But Variety has learned that WBIE is expected to reteam some of the characters in some form for the next installment in Rocksteady Studios' gritty vidgame series that began with "Batman: Arkham Asylum" and "Arkham City." . . .

Opening up Batman's world would make sense given that Warner Bros. is eager to replicate the success Marvel and Disney have had with "The Avengers," which has grossed $1.5 billion this summer at the worldwide box office and minted even more coin from the sale of toys and other licensed merchandise.

As Warner Bros. polishes a "Justice League" script by "Gangster Squad" scribe Will Beall that it hopes to get up on the bigscreen in 2015, the rest of the studio's divisions are making moves to fulfill Time Warner's mandate to monetize its stable of iconic superheroes . . .

The first films to feature DC's heroes are coming together after Warner Bros. Pictures president Jeff Robinov took back control of how the characters are utilitzed in the studio's features in 2009. At the time, "Harry Potter" franchise steward Diane Nelson was put in charge of the reorganized DC Entertainment. Shortly thereafter, plans for "Man of Steel" were announced in 2010. . . .

It will be another several months before Warner Bros. announces a new slate of superhero pics, Robinov has said. Until then, all roads already appear to lead to a "Justice League" team-up in some form.

"Green Lantern" scribes Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green are writing "The Flash" for director Greg Berlanti, while another "Green Lantern" scribe, Michael Goldenberg, has been hired to write "Wonder Woman."

Warners toppers say they plan to reveal their upcoming film plans for DC's characters within the next several months. . . .

Variety, July 11

Why 'Justice League' Shouldn't Be a Movie (Opinion)

It’s pretty clear, to anyone paying attention to the post-Avengers nerd-movie business that Warner Bros. will make a Justice League movie, sooner rather than later. After all, they’ve got their own flock of heroes, thanks to DC Comics, and theirs are arguably of a higher caliber than Marvel’s: Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are some of the most recognizable characters in the world -- way more than Hawkeye. And Warners has to be looking at the $1.45 billion worldwide gross of The Avengers and chomping at the bit to get a piece of that pie, so much so that they’ve already got a Justice League script in the hopper.

Here’s why that’s a colossal mistake.

OK, maybe that’s harsh: It’s entirely possible that Warners could turn out a perfectly respectable Justice League movie. Of course, it won’t have Christian Bale’s Batman in it, given that he’s hanging up the cowl after The Dark Knight Rises, nor will it have Christopher Nolan, who’s resisting Warners' pleas to oversee Justice League with all his might. So we’ll need a new Batman. The Zack Snyder-directed Man of Steel, with Henry Cavill in the tights, probably will be the cornerstone upon which Warner will build the Justice League, but it’s still a pretty big question mark. And really, the less said about Green Lantern the better -- even though Ryan Reynolds probably will be drafted to return as the emerald space cop. But here’s the thing: The Avengers worked as well as it did because Marvel took the time to lay the foundation and do it right, giving each of its major heroes a movie to shine in, all while assembling the pieces that would give us The Avengers. It shouldn’t have worked, as risky a proposition as it was, but it did. One gets the feeling that Warners is rushing to Justice.

But what if Warner Bros. and DC didn’t make a Justice League movie at all? What if, instead, they shifted their gaze and aimed for a smaller screen instead of the big one? What if they began to build a shared TV universe instead of a cinematic one? It could work like this . . .

Marc Bernardin, Hollywood Reporter, July 13

Afleck confirms he's not involved.

"I'm not working on the Justice League. One of the problems with entertainment web sites is that they need to fill pages, and that's how rumours get started," Affleck said in an interview with Canadian press. "Justice League sounds really exciting, but it's not something I'm working on,” he continued.
Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

'Justice League' aims for summer 2015 after Superman victory

DC Comics' superheroes can finally team up on the big screen following yesterday's legal victory for Warner Bros. in its long-running fight over the rights to Superman.

The studio is expected to accelerate development of a planned "Justice League" movie that would join Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and other characters, according to a knowledgeable person not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Warner hopes to shoot the film next year and release it in the summer of 2015. The studio already has a "Justice League" script in the works. Next it needs to attach a director and then cast the lead roles. . . .

Variety, October 18

'Steel' this movie

What’s perhaps most interesting about “Man of Steel” is that it might serve as the launching point for a DC Comics universe of films in the same way 2008’s “Iron Man” inaugurated Marvel’s interconnected movie world.

Warner Bros. is reportedly plowing ahead with “Justice League,” a superteam movie featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and others, rumored to hit in 2015. Nolan’s Batman trilogy has concluded and bomb “Green Lantern” is likely to be disregarded, making “Man of Steel” the first film set in this new universe.

“I don’t know how ‘Justice League’ is going to be handled. Honestly, I don’t,” Snyder says. “But ‘The Man of Steel’ exists, and Superman is in it. I don’t know how you’d move forward without acknowledging that.”

When asked whether he had conversations with the studio about integrating “Man of Steel” into a larger superhero universe, Snyder treads carefully.

“Um, how can I answer that?” he wonders. “I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.”

Wildly speculating, it sounds entirely possible that “Man of Steel” will mention another costumed crime-fighter — maybe in a post-credits sequence — that leads into another superhero film. Universe launched. . . .

New York Post, November 24

Exclusive: Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt already set to play Batman in 'Justice League'?

It's starting to look like Warner Bros may hold Christopher Nolan in the highest possible regard, but that in the end, they own their characters and they will decide what they're going to do with them.

After all, we heard much talk this summer about how the Batman franchise was ending, at least as far as the current version is concerned, and I believe that Nolan was serious when he said that was the last story he had to tell about the character. But Nolan is working with Warner Bros. on the "Man Of Steel" relaunch this summer, and as we reported earlier today, director Zack Snyder is starting to hint at the idea that his film is part of a larger continuity.

Certainly, the ending of "The Dark Knight Rises" hints at a possible future for the franchise, and there has been much speculation about whether or not they'll work to connect the end of that film to the larger world of DC properties that Warner is so desperate to create. Over the last couple of weeks, that speculation seems to have turned into conversation, and that conversation seems to be solidifying into a plan.

According to sources, Joseph Gordon-Levitt absolutely will be appearing in "Justice League" as the new Batman.

Now here's where things get interesting. The more insistent the drumbeat has become, the more poking around I've been doing, and it's looking like we may see Gordon-Levitt in the suit earlier than that. They're a long way from filming anything "Justice League" related, but they appear to be solidifying deals for Gordon-Levitt and, potentially, at least one other actor from the Nolan films to do… something. . . .

Drew McWeeny, Hitfix, November 26

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

SDG   

Can't they cast someone who can actually growl like Batman? Bale did what he could, but even with digital enhancement, it was passable at best.

I honestly never pictured Batman growling until the films. I was really hoping they would allow Nolan's films to be their own universe. Really, the Nolan Batman films do not have a real place for Amazons, aliens or space cops...really, no super-powers of any kind. They would feel totally out of place. I would prefer DC/WB avoid continuing the universe and start fresh with a atman better suited for a larger super hero universe.

SDG   

Batman growls in the comic books.

Certainly in the Miller bookends, "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Batman: Year One." In the latter, in his first outing, Batman describes (in Milleresque "voiceover narration") throwing a burglar "a growl I brought all the way from Africa." And in the former, at the beginning of his revived career, stalking a gang of Twoface's men in an abandoned factory, there's an extended onomatopoeic growl (as the thugs, who had thought Batman dead, worriedly muse "He never used to make sounds," FWIW).

So maybe growling is something Batman does when he's just getting into the swing of things. smile.png

Still, Batman should have a growly voice. You know who sounded exactly like Batman? Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach in Watchmen.* But he looks just like Rorschach, so no dice there.

------

*Looking back at my review, I see I describe Haley "growling like Clint Eastwood by way of Christian Bale’s Dark Knight, which is just what he should sound like. (He actually sounds better than Bale, darn it — doesn’t sound like he’s trying, or digitally enhanced.)"

Haley really did embody that character effectively. I guess I had just forgotten that the comics had establsihed a growl, and so I never heard him growling as I read a Batman story. I always pictures him sounding kind of like Carol Channing. ;)

Anders   

Kevin Conroy has the ideal Batman voice. Nobody else comes close.

Yup. When I read the comics I hear him as Kevin Conroy.

Though I think the TAS episode, "Legends of the Dark Knight" brilliantly cast Michael Ironside as the Miller-DKR Batman.

Kevin Conroy can't play the live action Batman, though. He's way too old now.

Anders   

Kevin Conroy can't play the live action Batman, though. He's way too old now.

I don't think anyone was suggesting this. But his voice work sets the benchmark that casting agents should be thinking about. He's able to do both a credible Batman and Bruce Wayne. I think Bale was great and is one of the few actors who was able to pull of both aspects of the character, but he didn't replace Conroy in my head when I read the comics.

Agreed.

According to sources, Joseph Gordon-Levitt absolutely will be appearing in "Justice League" as the new Batman.

I can understand the desire to tie this into Nolan's Batman series. And I don't like to complain too much about super hero casting - I think Gorgon Levitt could actually make a decent Batman, growl notwithstanding. But the thing that rubs me wrong here is - he's not Bruce Wayne. He's not even Jean-Paul Valley (Azrael) or Dick Grayson/Nightwing - or, for that matter, Terry McGinnis (Batman Beyond).

If they're going to do a Justice League movie, Batman needs to be Bruce Wayne.

Not crazy about this move. Have not liked Goyer/Nolan's interpretation of Batman at all. A JLA movie will need to be fun, lighthearted and grandeiouse. I don't think this is a good fit at all.

I don't think they should just copy Marvel though (which seems to have the fun & lighthearted approach down). I've never found Superman even remotely interesting. And yet, this year's film might be - primarily because it looks as if it might venture to interact with some substantive ideas.

A Justice League film wouldn't necessarily suffer if it were darker in tone than a Marvel film. They're not perfect, but I appreciate how Nolan's Dark Knight films at least attempt to explore philosophical questions about evil and political questions about order. In my estimation, an ideal Justice League film would explore the conflict between Superman and Batman's different approaches on how they deal with evil. As I understand the characters, they agree upon ends, but disagree upon means ... and Superman is really the more authoritarian minded of the two.

In related news, it looks like we might get Christian Bale back for this.