Peter T Chattaway

Justice League

It suddenly occurs to me that "Justice League" sounds like a concept that is taking itself far more seriously than "Avengers", and it therefore shouldn't be given an even-more-serious treatment.

It basically reminds me of how the American invasion of Afghanistan was codenamed "Operation Infinite Justice", which prompted John Waters to ask (on Politically Incorrect, IIRC) why the invasion had to be given such an awfully pretentious name.

It suddenly occurs to me that "Justice League" sounds like a concept that is taking itself far more seriously than "Avengers", and it therefore shouldn't be given an even-more-serious treatment.

I may have noted this before - I can't recall - but the film and comic universes of the Marvel and DC characters are shaping up to be in a way flip-flopped. DC heroes in the comics have traditionally been well-loved and respected by the "normal" citizens of their world, even if Batman especially has a darker edge. The DC world has always seemed bright and vibrant to me. Marvel heroes (generally speaking) have always been treated with more suspicion. The Marvel world I'd characterize as much more grey.

DC’s Game-Changing ‘Batman vs Superman’ Plan, & Casting Notes

A trusted source says that the unnamed DC film that Dwayne Johnson will be working on in 2014 will, indeed, be a Justice League movie. That’s not all, though, because this has folks wondering how the JL movie can be underway in 2014, when WB/DC are in full-swing production of BvS. Well, the current thought amongst some insiders is that Batman vs Superman and Justice League are going to be shot back-to-back, ala The Hobbit films, the Pirates of The Caribbean sequels, and the latter two Matrix flicks. . . .

Batman vs Superman is going to end with an insane cliffhanger/teaser that leads right into Justice League and, like those other back-to-back productions, they want to be able to deliver the second film within a year to strike while the iron is hot. Could this very aggressive approach be how DC intends to pull the rug right out from under rival Marvel Studios? Sure could be. . . .

Latino Review, January 13

Warner Bros. Details Plans for ‘Justice League’ Movie (Exclusive)

First came “Man of Steel.” Next up is “Batman vs. Superman.” And then, “Justice League.”

Confirming the studio’s plans for a movie based on its iconic super-team for the first time, Warner Bros. president of worldwide production Greg Silverman said the studio has set plans to make a “Justice League” movie.

Like “Man of Steel” and its follow-up, which starts production next month, “Justice League” will be directed by Zack Snyder. Henry Cavill is expected to return as Superman, along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, who play Batman and Wonder Woman, respectively, in 2016’s “Man of Steel” sequel tentatively titled “Batman vs. Superman.”

“It will be a further expansion of this universe,” said Mr. Silverman. “’Superman vs Batman’ will lead into ‘Justice League.’”

A script is still in development and Warner has not set a release date, though the movie is unlikely to come out before 2018. Mr. Silverman would not comment on what other heroes might join Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the movie. However the studio has recently been casting the role of Cyborg, a half-robotic hero who is expected to have a cameo in “Batman vs. Superman” and then appear in “Justice League.” Other DC heroes who have been in Justice League comic books include Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern.

The plans for three superhero movies in relatively quick succession show how intent Warner is on catching up with rival Walt Disney Co.’s Marvel Studios in building a cinematic superhero universe after years lagging behind. . . .

Wall Street Journal, April 27

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

NBooth   

Hey, look! A sense of humor!

SDG   
3 hours ago, Cunningham said:

That looks absolutely terrible.

What? 

I reject Zack Snyder, and all his works, and all his empty promises, but that trailer makes Justice League look pretty fantastic. 

8 hours ago, SDG said:

What? 

I reject Zack Snyder, and all his works, and all his empty promises, but that trailer makes Justice League look pretty fantastic. 

I don't have any real affinity for Aquaman, but this generic angry muscley dude who they have turned him into is utterly uninteresting to me.

He's certainly not the Aquaman I used to read in the comics 20 years ago. Also, the movie's Flash seems like a better candidate for *Kid* Flash.

I'm not feeling the Aquaman guy either. Also, why no Superman? After being largely written out of his own sequel, he's now excised from the JL trailer. The fact that he's still alive can hardly be a "surprise" considering they already gave that away at the end of Batman vs. Superman.

SDG   

Re. Aquaman: Haven't any of you guys watched the DC Animated Universe Justice League

FWIW, I think casting a half Polynesian actor (Mamoa's father is a Native Hawaiian) is a very promising idea.

latest?cb=20070220110905

Yeah, Aquaman was gently reimagined a while ago. Angry, brawler Aquaman works for me, particularly as a starting point for the character.

That trailer is SNARK SNARK SNARKITY SNARK in the Marvel tradition, but it made me laugh. Affleck looks great now that he's ditched the angst.

Edited by Ryan H.

SDG wrote:
: Re. Aquaman: Haven't any of you guys watched the DC Animated Universe Justice League

I haven't, no, but the picture you posted isn't particularly different from the Aquaman I used to see in the comics I read 20 years ago. It's possible I even have the issue in which he lost his hand (which happened in 1994, according to Google).

SDG   
On 7/26/2016 at 5:24 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

I haven't, no, but the picture you posted isn't particularly different from the Aquaman I used to see in the comics I read 20 years ago. It's possible I even have the issue in which he lost his hand (which happened in 1994, according to Google).

So where exactly is the disconnect? That he's a brunet instead of a blond? 

SDG wrote:
: So where exactly is the disconnect? That he's a brunet instead of a blond? 

That *is* a visual difference. Also I wonder to what extent it makes sense to make Aquaman so musclebound. Aren't swimmers generally more compact than that?

NBooth   

"It may be temporary."

"This is why Superman works alone" was funnier.

Edited by NBooth

Here's hoping we get some kind of Green Lantern cameo maybe in the credits. I know they're doing a Green Lantern Corps film (which I am freaking excited for since Green Lantern Corps is some of my most favorite comics) eventually so maybe the one who will end up in the Justice League will be in that. 

This is incredibly sad news.  Zack Snyder is stepping away from the post-production of Justice League to be with his family, after the death of his daughter (a suicide) this past March.  Joss Whedon will oversee some last minute reshoots, and the rest of post-production.

Story here.

Edited by John Drew