Peter T Chattaway

Justice League

1. The Thor / Hulk trailer looked fun. This looks... okay... though you can see how DC is trying to include some of the self-referential fun that has been a Marvel staple for years now.

2. The other day, at the movie theatre, I pointed to a poster for Justice League in which Batman was easily the most prominent figure, and predicted that the film's marketing strategy would change soon because of (a) the big success of Wonder Woman and (b) the rumour that Warner Brothers was looking for a way to ease Affleck out of the role. And, sure enough, this trailer emphasizes Wonder Woman far more than it does Batman (though he's certainly in there, as are Alfred and Commissioner Gordon).

The new "Heroes" trailer, which apparently cannot be embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-DM9uBtVI

Does this film really come out in just five and a half weeks? For some reason I'm not sensing the anticipation anywhere, even though it gives us our second look at Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman this year.

Ummm...was that Leonides of Sparta in one flashback? Hope my eyes deceived me, because if it was I may have to move Snyder below George Lucas on the "oh-my-God-aren't-I-clever!!!!!!!" index.

Continuity question: Cyborg, when explaining his origin, says the Mother Box sat on a shelf and didn't do anything until after Superman died. But... I could have sworn that Bruce Wayne was watching Lex Luthor's video footage of Cyborg and the Mother Box in Batman v Superman, *before* Superman died.

NBooth   

With the exception of Gadot and a few fleeting seconds where Cavill shows what a great Superman he *could* be with a decent script, this movie is a total disaster. It fails in so many basic ways (like, introducing the villain and building tension and maintaining tonal consistency) that it should be taught in film school as a cautionary example. 

NBooth   

Oh, and this is by my count the fourth movie featuring Superman to center on some sort of real estate grab. 

NBooth wrote:
: Oh, and this is by my count the fourth movie featuring Superman to center on some sort of real estate grab. 

Are you counting Clark Kent selling his parents' farm in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (onscreen) after Ma Kent dies (offscreen)? It's not really portrayed as a "grab", it's just an incidental detail as I recall.

NBooth   

The first two had Luthor going for real estate, though it isn't exactly core in II. RETURNS has the New Krypton thing. MAN OF STEEL and JUSTICE LEAGUE are both about land-grabs on a global scale. So, arguably, that's five. 

Edited by NBooth

NBooth   

I've blocked it from my memory, so I could be wrong. Looks like it's about manipulating markets, though.